What do I wear?...the sequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PRlady, Aug 10, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

5:30 is becoming more common as more and more brides and grooms are opting to get married at the reception venue, rather than in a religious building.
    Since you don't have to incorporate the travel time between the wedding ceremony and the reception venue, they like to start the cocktail hour immediately following the service. The service is typically 30 minutes. So, based on a 5 hour reception, you either start at 5:30 and and the reception at 10:30 or you start at 5:30 and end at 11:00. We just went through this booking my daughter's wedding. They want to get married outside, overlooking the golf course, at the venue. I am thinking, though, that I will put 5:00 on the invitation. Weddings never start right on time. And I figure that if we get people there and seated and actually start at 5:15, we can manage another 15 minutes of mingling before the drinks are served :D.

I can understand that. Tradition is important. There are some lovely dresses that are strapless and have matching "bolero" type tops for the service, that can come off for the reception.

Daughter and I are planning to start looking Friday. So excited!

Slightly off topic, had the engagement party on Sunday. 30 people at the house. 2 weeks of major cleaning, 3 days of cooking, I am exhausted! But, a great time was had by all :).

2. cruisin

We got my daughter's wedding dress today. I was happy and sad at the same time. I am happy that she found a dress she loves. But, it was the first place we went to and I had hoped to have a few shopping expeditions with her. But, it is stunning and she is stunning in it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Do you have a picture of the dress?
    Now, what's the mother of the bride going to wear?

4. PRlady

PRlady still standing

Yes, photo please!

Something tell me the bride's mom isn't going to do this in one shopping expedition. ;)

5. cruisin

You are so right! I seem easy to fit. Tall and thin. But, not being able to wear any dress that is strapless or too low in the front or back, eliminates about 75% or the dresses.

Here is the dress: http://www.jlmcouture.com/Lazaro/Bridal/Spring/2012/Style-3217

6. PRlady

PRlady still standing

OMG what a dramatic dress! I know your daughter is tall like you and I'm sure she will look lovely, that is NOT a dress for the short girl.

And that Marchesa dress you showed us...keep an eye on that one. ;)

7. skatesindreams

That's spectacular!

And this MOB doesn't want to look like the "typical" MOB, I'll bet!

8. cruisin

Thanks! It is dramatic! She tried on a more traditional ball gown, with a set in waist. But, she is long waisted and it made her look like she was wearing a child's dress. Then she tried on some all lace mermaid style dresses, with the crystaled belts. They looked lovely. I actually pulled the one she got. At first she just looked at me and said do you really want me to try that on? I said, you have to see how it looks. She put it on, came out, I cried, and she just gasped at the mirror. I thought we should look around a bit more (I wanted more shopping time :D), she said no, this is it. Plus, they were haveing a 15% off sale and if we came back next week, we'd have to pay full price. We get the veil for free. She needed dramatic. She's worn crystals her whole life :lol:! It fits her like it was made for her. She looks like a cross between a movie star and an angel.

Thank you too! I know! That is going to be a problem. I found a dress that I like on the Pronovias site (MOB dress). But, stores only have what they have. They won't order different styles or sizes that they don't have. http://www.pronovias.us/cocktail-gowns/last-mob-gowns/ you probably won's see the dress on the first page. Click next until you see "Linda".

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Wheee! I like one-stop shops. :lol: That is a super-dramatic dress indeed, and yes, sometimes it is better to get THE ONE instead of wanting to shop around and then losing your dream dress. When it's the one, it's the one! :cheer:

10. Anita18

I love it! :cheer:

My own mother will probably freak out a bit wondering what to wear for my wedding, but she'll probably end up grabbing something from my aunt's closet. :lol: She's super-short, so not every style will work for her, even if she is very thin.

11. skatesindreams

That dress seems so "you", from what you've shared.
    Could you contact Pronovias in NYC to see who bought it?

12. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Cruisin, your daughter's wedding dress is gorgeous! I wish I had the long legs to pull that off, wow it's so beautiful!

I made the mistake of going to the Pronovias website...so much for being productive tonight!

13. cruisin

That's a great idea! I'll do that.

Thank you :). Daughter is 5'8", so she's tall. Not as tall as me though :lol:.

Sorry about the Pronovias site. But, it's a fun way to not be productive :).

14. cruisin

I should say that the dress is ivory with silver beading

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i didnt think it was royal blue

that being said, i wish more people would branch out into diff colors when they marry.

16. PRlady

PRlady still standing

OH WOW, cruisin, you would look amazing in that.

(Me, I want the Latina Right Now and my daughter isn't even getting married....)

17. cruisin

:lol: No, it's just that the description of the dress said it was sherbet with gold. But it comes in ivory/silver, ivory/gold, white/silver, white/gold, sherbet/silver, & sherbet/gold. I just wanted to clarify which one she got. But, you made me smile!

PR, the Latina is stunning. I just wish it were a different color. I feel uncomfortable wearing white of beige to a wedding.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  18. skatesindreams

crusin, Pronovias' telephone # is on the website.
    They seem to welcome contact.

19. cruisin

Thanks! Going to call today :).

20. cruisin

Called the Pronovias NYC store. They have the Linda dress, but the smallest size they have is a 14. No way it could be taken in enough for me :(. They only have records of what they have in their own store. So, I called the NJ stores. Only one store has it and as you have probably guessed, it's a 14. So, I'm out of luck with that one. I suppose that I could have it made, if I don't find something else I like as much or better.

Mama Cruisin is going to be a challenge :lol:

21. Anita18

Smallest a 14? :(

But if it's not a challenge, then it isn't a worthy cause! :D

22. skatesindreams

23. cruisin

Thank you, for that link. I checked it out, but the colors are wrong. And the sizing is very confusing. I would need to try on a Pronovias dress for size, somewhere. But, they don't have blue listed, so...:(

We'll keep trying! :)

24. KCC

KCC Active Member

Is there a Pronovias store in a city with a skating competition? Double the fun and take a few "FSU friends" along.

25. PRlady

PRlady still standing

I'm in Philly once a month. Just sayin'. :shuffle:

26. cruisin

I'll look into it. Then, I'll come when you're there, if they have one. :)

27. skatesindreams

28. skatesindreams

29. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

They are all beautiful, and I like that they aren't strapless. But the last one is my favorite.

30. PRlady

PRlady still standing

Likewise.

Judging by these and cruisin's daughter's gown, the mermaid silhouette is fashionable now? It's pretty but (speaking as a not flat-tummy person) a little hard on those with too much below the waist, yes?