What do I wear?...the sequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PRlady, Aug 10, 2012.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

Shoes that last forever? There goes my excuse to shop for more shoes next season! :drama:

Seriously, the Naot Nina comes with a pretty black with a silver trim too. Man, I lurve to have one

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Well, yeah, that's the downside. :lol:

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Buy them. I finally caved and bought Teva-Naot sandals this summer (they're not cheap in Israel, either), and they're super comfy and really last.

I wonder how much the Ninas would cost here? I have my eye on a few other pairs, too. :shuffle:

4. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I usually buy my Naots in Israel because they're about $100 vs $150 or so here.

But in Charleston over the weekend, my favorite pair of Naot cork-soled sandals finally gave up the ghost. (After four years!) And to my shock, right there on King Street was a store that sold them. And I spent $145 to buy these: http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-paris-black-madras-leather in a slightly lighter black with bronzing (very pretty) and I know I will wear the crap out of them for four years.

OMG are they comfortable, especially if you have narrow feet. Totally worth the money.

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

When my hair is pink, I am a huge hit with with 5-9 crowd. :glamor:

But women of all ages covet my Hello Kitty pirate purse.

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I would really like to see a picture of that purse. Please? ;)

7. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

I've learned the hard way sandals aren't for me. Little pebbies and sand get in the shoes; once a sharp prickly thing fell off a plant and got in the shoe, and then I stepped real hard on it. :yikes:

(That finally killed my desire to buy those $200 Think! sandals that I was craving for all summer)

Once I wear out my sandals, I'll be sticking to Mary Janes in the summer. Closed toes shoes are the way to go.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  9. PrincessLeppard

There are no pictures of it anywhere online! How weird! I will get a picture this weekend. :)

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

11. mkats

mkats New Member

I like it! :)

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thank you! :) I found it thanks to you guys. :respec:

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

And on sale, too. :cool:

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I like that very much!

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  16. PRlady

I want a commission from Ann Taylor! ;)

Funny how the chain stores go in and out of having good stuff. A few years back AT had the dowdiest, baggiest clothes imaginable.

Yesterday I wore my new black AT sheath dress: http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/produc...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600 for public speaking. I got compliments on how I looked from everyone in the office and everyone at the event who knew me well enough to say so.

17. skatesindreams

PRlady, isn't it amazing how attire that gives you confidence in how you look can affect how an audience responds to you?

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's an awesome dress. Very chic and classy. And yes, you deserve a commission.

19. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

:lol: Her big mouth could wear a Hefty bag and still get a response.

20. mkats

mkats New Member

I had a gift card that was near its expiration date, so I made a detour to the mall today and picked up this pretty blue BCBG cocktail dress for $15 (it's going on ebay for $69!) and a brown and white summer dress by Connected (can't find a picture of it online) for $9. The lady running the fitting room laughed when she saw the summer dress and said that she'd been eyeing it for awhile, but since it didn't fit her she kept waiting for someone else to take it home :) It's still 80 degrees out today and the pool is open until November :lol: so I expect I'll get some use out of it this season yet.

And best of all I still have $30 on the gift card, so I'll have to make another trip soon!

21. PRlady

What a pal. :p However, even if that's true, it's even more intimidating to have a big mouth be articulate AND feel well-dressed!

And mkats, that's the bargain to end all bargains. I don't know where you live that the pools are open til November (!) but congratulations!

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Pretty! And practically free!

23. skatesindreams

Which dress did you choose for the wedding?

24. PrincessLeppard

25. skatesindreams

I thought you would!
    Did you "fit in"?

26. PrincessLeppard

The clothes were all over the place! There were women in formal gowns, some in minis, and probably most of us in cocktail length. 5:30 is a weird time for a wedding. :)

27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I was at an evening wedding last year that was more all over the place than that. It was in a hunting lodge with dirt on the floor and folding chairs and a bride in a enormous sequined ball gown. Guest attire ranged from people in sweat pants and Husker jerseys (including the mother of the bride) to people in cocktail dresses and suits and tie. My sister-in-law and I had debated what to wear as we knew the venue and we also had seen pics of the bridal gown. We went with rather casual skirts and boots and ended up feeling overdressed and under dressed all at the same time depending on who we were standing next to.

28. mkats

mkats New Member

That sounds like a reasonable choice :) I bet you girls looked cute!

I still have never been to a wedding (unless you count being a babysitting for some strangers once). I kind of wish some of my friends would hurry up and get hitched so I could have an excuse to wear some of these dresses I bought :drama:

29. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

You were in the Bay Area. I'm surprised no one showed up in a tutu. Or an ice dance costume.

30. PRlady

Niece is getting married next October, and I'm on the "dress committee" which pleases me. But I just discovered she's getting married on a Friday night, which means the dress issue is going to be difficult.

Why? Friday night is not when Jews get married, it's the Sabbath, we get married Saturday night (after it's over) or Sunday. The fact she's getting married on a Friday means she won't find a rabbi to perform the wedding. It also means she will probably ignore the dictate of not wearing strapless or sleeveless.

As a rabbi friend says of me, "The shul I don't go to is Orthodox." Meaning that while I'm utterly secular in religioius observance, I tend to have the traditional instincts that reflect how I was raised. And if she picks a sleeveless/strapless dress I will be uneasy.

Talk about first world problems. :rofl: