What do I wear?...the sequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PRlady, Aug 10, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Gap/Banana/Old Navy have always been inconsistent. I think that part of it is that they machine die cut (which many high volume vendors do). When the die is pressed into the fabric, the upper layers stretch. The sewers still use a 1/4 to 5/8 seam allowance. But the variance in the fabric cut causes significant size differences within the same size. Some vendors machine cut, but use a computer assisted saw type blade, that seems to provide a more consistent size.

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

come to think of it, my couch is low. but so am i.

3. cruisin

I can sit in them. but I can't get out of them! :rofl:

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Yep. I bought jeans at Old Navy last year (don't judge me, I currently have an average income between $0 and $250 a month and my more expensive jeans are old and one pair gave out completely-- a body must be covered for decency's sake). I tried on a pair and liked the fit but decided to grab a different wash. Looked at that pair and something didn't look right, so I decided to try them on to be sure. Didn't fit at all. Same size and same style.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Fit/sizing depends on who puts things together.
    It's rarely standardized, despite industry claims - at any price point.

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Sale alert (of sorts) for NM last call's website. Some of their accessories, including my new fall-winter handbag are an additional 50% off. Unfortunately, there is no way to search for these items, just have to browse.

7. cruisin

There is more consistency in smaller lots. Price can make a difference, but it is not a certainty. Smaller, more pricy brands might spend more on their cutters. They also may have fewer places where they send their garments to be assembled. As much as I love J. Crew, the sizing can be pretty off. But, they are mass, mass producing. A company like Elie Tahari or DVF is making quantity, but not the numbers of a Crew, Gap, etc.

There are two basic reasons for size changes:

1. As I said above, the way the garments are cut. If the top pieces are cut 1/4" - 1/2" wider than the bottom pieces, even with the same sewer the garment will not be the same size.

2. Different garments are put together in different places. One pair of jeans may be put together in China, another in Indonesia. A sweater might be made in the US, another in Peru.

However, the same style is usually made in the same place. If they are, the change is usually because of the difference in the cut pieces. The machines they sew on have a "stop" that the edge of the fabric goes against to insure the same seam width.

Is anyone going to a Fashion's Night Out, Thursday night? We are not going into the city, but will go to the local one at the SH Mall. It's fun! Food, Champaign, Entertainment! And its for a wonderful cause - In addition to AMFAR, it supports many local charities. Including women's health issues and children's health (hospitals).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  8. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Well, all that said, you should probably try one on ;) given the fact that you have shoulders and a small butt.

9. cruisin

I actually have a non-existant butt! :lol:

Small butt and hips is really unusual for BR. And, that is a really nice dress. So, I just may go and try it on! Thanks! Is it a knit?

10. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

It is. There are a few other nice ones as well. And, another bonus for you, they were too long on me, to the middle of the knee (I would have hemmed them two inches). So I'm guessing these dresses would fit you perfectly! ;)

11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Hey, I shop at Old Navy too. People of all incomes need clothes. No matter how "good" an investment of $500 pants is, if you don't have $500 to spare, you need cheaper pants.

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm a regular shopper at ON. They're one of my go to places for basics like t-shirts, shorts, cardigans, etc. Love their workout gear, too. Lulu-shmulu-lemon? Pfft. I go with the ON stuff for half the price.

13. cruisin

Lulu Lemon is so over priced! I do have two tops from them. And I must say that they don't get stinky like most of my work out wear. But, $8.00 for 2 wife beaters from Target are my mainstay for working out. worn with $15.00 Champion gym shorts.

I spend money on the important things (for me). I would spend (figuratively) $150.00 on a great pair of well fitting jeans, before I'd spend that much on a pair of dress pants that I'd rarely wear. I buy 3 for $10.00 underwear. Who cares about what can't be seen? :lol: I sleep in gym shorts and a tee shirt, I can't bring myself to by $$$ sleepwear.

I don't go to ON, simply because they don't fit me. Too short, everywhere.

14. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

ON doesn't fit me either. When my stepkids and daughter were younger I took them there for clothes, and would happily try on jeans and so on. And nothing ever fit.

It's the same with JCrew. I have never tried on anything there, not even a t-shirt, that looks good on me. I figured that they're designing for the athletic, rangy type which I surely am not. Or Michelle Obama.

Talbot's fits me, more or less, and makes me look 70 years old. :(

15. cruisin

JCrew fits me well. The only problem I have with their pants is that they typically have a very low rise. When you have no hips or butt, low rise pants don't stay up.

16. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

When you have a belly they just sort of slip under it, cradle it and make you look even poochier.

I hate low-rise pants.

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

A lot of their styles come in Tall sizes, which feature not only longer inseams, but also a longer rise, and a longer bodice length. So for example, the Tall t-shirts have a longer body length that the regular sizes.

I'm not sure about the variety offered in their stores, but I shop ON almost exclusively online and their web site usually has a great selection of Tall.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I just got a super cute workout t-shirt with ruching there along with Mini Ice's usual sweat pants and such. However, I do own a couple of lululemon things.

19. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

3 for $10 underwear doesn't last very long. I wait till they go on sale & then stock up. I just got 5 pairs of cotton/lycra for $25, reg $40. But I've been known to pay up to $12 for panties but only if that's the sale price. Then they last for years & look beautiful the whole time.

I'm not a Justin Bieber/Selena Gomez fan but this is one of the most beautiful dresses I've seen in years:

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/69th-annual-venice-film-festival-premieres-slideshow/

20. cruisin

I buy mine at the Calvin Klein outlet in Woodbury Commons. They are microfiber and last forever! Best part, no elastic, so no panty lines. But, I think I am wrong, I think they are 3 for $12.

21. KCC

KCC Active Member

I don't know how long they will last, but my recent score on underwater was from Costco -- 6 pairs for 9.99. They have been washed about a dozen times so far and fit and look like new. Colors are either black/grey (3 each) or pastels. Not fancy, but they do the job for me.

Oops... Underwear, not underwater

22. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I have a few things from lululemon that were worth every cent. Mostly shorts and sports bras. They last for years (and I wear them A LOT), stay where they're supposed to and are comfortable even soaked with sweat. They also have the only headbands I've ever found that will stay in place an entire soccer game. I don't really find them overpriced for that stuff. It's pretty easy to drop $50 on any quality sports bra.

23. cruisin

Sometimes Costco has the Calvin Klein underwear, that I get. It's a score!

Lululemon also uses fabrics that don't smell as bad when they get sweat soaked.

24. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

It's NEW YORK FASHION WEEK! :biggrinbo

YouTube's Live from the Runway

Next up: BCBGMaxAzria, then Richard Chai. :watch:

25. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I've been wondering about this. I bought some new bras and workout shirts from a Champion outlet, and after a few months it seems they don't come clean and fresh-smelling even with strong detergent. Maybe I should try a Lulu shirt and see how that works out.

26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Finally getting around to the report on the PR dress. I got Korto's, the gunmetal grey metallic with the mandarin collar.

First, the good news.... it fits and the construction is quite nice. It's what I would expect from a mid-tier dress at L&T, Nordstrom or Bloomies. The lining is well done and necessary as the metallic is a bit itchy. It came to mid-knee on me (5'8" with long legs) and the waist is just a little lower than I might have preferred (I'm shortwaisted) so I will need to Spanx when I wear it. Chest area is generous as I would expect from a Korto dress.

The not so good news... the cut of the armholes is such that I will need to be careful about what bra I wear. The one I had on when I tried the dress for the first time wasn't quite right, so I will need to experiment a bit. The only other issue is the stiffness of the upper bodice. There are a lot of seams, so the front is quite thick in spots. I love the detail, so I don't think the stiffness will bother me.

Long story short. It fits and it's a great holiday dress.

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It got moved from February? After I moved? :drama: I always used to get mad since they have it in Bryant Park and that meant the free rink there would close early for the runway shows and tents.

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

There are two... this is spring/summer 2013.

29. cruisin

Today is Fashion's Night Out! Going to the mall for the festivities!

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Delighted to hear that the dress is a "keeper"!