What do I wear?...the sequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PRlady, Aug 10, 2012.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

wait, it's only in large or extra large? not fair

2. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

You skinny little girls bought up all the ones in your sizes. And I'm hoping the large fits, often I'm a medium, but in Tahari jackets I need a 12 to accomodate the chest.

I love zippers and invisible hooks-and-eyes on jackets. With buttons, too frequently there's the dreaded gap around the boobs.

Oh, and yes, it's on its way to me! got the email this morning.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yay! :cheer2: Where is it coming from? I have to go to the mall today (for daughter's boyfriend's birthday gift). I was going to check out Saks, to see if they had the jacket and report back, if they claimed no (and it was there :sekret:). We will need to see you rockin' the jacket! :)

MLP, call or go to a local Saks and/or Bloomingdales (or just call the Short Hills stores, numbers are above). Ask them to do a store search for you, they may find you a smaller size. Tahari does tend to run a little small across the back (in jackets). Skirts/pants tend to run a bit fuller in the hips, small in the waist.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Do we need to take up a collection for you?

5. cruisin

Found a dress I am coveting! I do have a few upcoming events t would be perfect for. Don't want to order it though, since I have no idea what size to order (DVF, I can range from a 0 to a 6, depending on cut and fabric). It has to be tried on. Waiting to see if it shows up in any stores, not holding my breath, however. http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...=4294912394 306418048 399545540&bmUID=jAEo9VT In the Maroon. Of course, for me to look like the model, in the dress, I will need butt pads! :D

6. skatesindreams

I can see why you want that.
    Classic, yet with an edge.
    A dress that can be worn for years.

Love it; but I'm not tall enough to carry it,
    You are, I think.

7. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Uh, no. All I need is some more restraint. :shuffle:

And the reason I am now buying my SIXTH Tahari jacket is precisely because of the hourglass shape. Tahari is an Israeli and thus is intimately acquainted with the classic Jewish figure -- small-boned and quite lavish in the T&A department. :lol:

Let's see, I got one from Filene's (may it rest in peace), two from Loehmann's, and the other three on half-priced sale. This alleviates my guilt.

Cruisin, you would look spectacular in that dress. :D

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That DvF dress is lovely, crusin. It's really me actually, but I'd get it in obsidian. Hope you figure out your size and enjoy it in maroon!

As far as Tahari goes, I don't conform to the classic Jewish figure stereotype in the T department. :shuffle: I have lots of Tahari, dresses and coats, all had to be altered. No jackets. Yet.

Let us know how you like that "Chanel" jacket! It's really cool, PRChic!

I am short and would be fine wearing that dress but would have to hem it to just above the knee. I can't carry that length either.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sorry for the double post: currently I am looking for a sleeveless white blouse, fitted, with a little stretch and fairly classic, although I don't mind a little ruching or another on trend detail. To be worn to work with jackets and pencil skirts/fitted pants or with a pair of jeans.

10. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=43005&vid=3&pid=905959

Like that?

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

12. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

:rofl: That's a specialty store for women with the problem you said you didn't have upthread. You don't need to spend the money for that.

And Banana often has in stores what it doesn't have online, and I know for sure there's one in Union Square. :)

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, I like the idea of silk. I do have to pick up a pair of pants that were altered at Nordstrom, may be I will stop by BR. :)

15. cruisin

He used to cut less curvy, years ago. But, I don't come in at the waist and don't go out at the hips. So, what fits my waist is too big in the hips and what fits my hips, I can't close at the waist. I can wear Elie Tahari tops, jackets, and dresses. But not pants or skirts.

Thanks! I tried it on in a print, today http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...y?ID=631499&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results , for size. And it fits really well. I don't love the print though, it takes away from the detail in the ruching. And it's not as classic. I think I will wind up ordering it, now that I know what size to get.

I am going to go for the obsidian. obsidian, to me, is black (as in the igneous rock with the same name :)). The dress, in obsidian looked more eggplant colored, on line. So, I called DVF and asked them what color the obsidian actually is. It is eggplant, which I do like better than the maroon. I just didn't want another black dress. So, obsidian it is!

Yes, we want photos! :)

It's not quite as long as it appears. It came to about 1" below my knee. What I really like about it, is that it makes me look like I have some curves (namely a butt! :lol:)

These are a little pricey, but Theory makes really nice shirts:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Theor...ements%3D&eItemId=prod149280115&cmCat=product http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/theory-...tegoryid=0&fashionColor=WHITE&resultback=1043

16. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

17. cruisin

Yeah, there was a Theory sleeveless shirt, that was on sale. Really nice, but I can't find it now :(. The reason I went to Theory was because IceAlisa said fitted with some stretch. But, they are crazy expensive for a sleeveless shirt, have to find them on sale. Your selections are great.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  18. skatesindreams

I like all of PRlady's options.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, PRLady. I like the first choice with the lace insets. I might get it.

20. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Do you have them on speed dial? :lol:

For fitted shirts with a little stretch, I kid you not - Express. Some of their shirts are near dupes for Theory, at a small fraction of the price.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Why not Express? After all it's only cotton with some stretchy fabric. Thanks, will check it out, BB.

22. cruisin

No, but I do have DVF bookmarked. :lol:

I am sure that Express shirts are great, but I refuse to go into the store. I had a really awful experience there several years ago. I got hurt pretty badly with a theft sensor pin, that had pierced the inside. I got a really bad gash on my leg. The sales person and the store manager totally blew me off and were beyond rude. I wasn't even making a big deal about my leg bleeding all over the place. I just thought they should remove the sensor before someone else got hurt. It was so unpleasant that I called Express to complain, they were just as rude. So, I vowed never to give them a penny, ever again. I know it seems silly, but, I just can't go there.

23. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

cruisin - I'd boycott them, too, if I had that experience. Even without such an incident, though, their customer service is lousy. It was better when they were part of Limited.

24. cruisin

Neiman got the Obsidian dress, in the store. I went, today, to try it on. I don't know what they did with this dress! DVF is always very good with showing the dress exactly as it is. But this one :confused:. It is about 6" shorter than the photo suggests. The sleeves are an inch above my wrists. The fabric is soooooo thin that it shows hair follicles :lol:. It is extremely tight in the waist and hips (and being hipless, nothing is too tight on my hips!), and way too big in the shoulders. Just fit horribly! Even the saleswoman was :confused:. However, the printed one looked incredible on and fit like the photo showed. Go figure. So, I got the print one at Bloomingdales - 15% off and used my Bloomies points. So, the $425 dress cost me $110. I'd say that was a win/win deal!

25. skatesindreams

I'm sorry that the "Obsidian" DVF disappointed; but, I'm happy that the other one worked for you.
    A great deal, as well!

One never knows who/where the dresses are actually sewn.
    That may explain the fit issues with the one you thought would be "perfect".

26. cruisin

Thanks! :)

Thing is DVF is usually pretty consistent with fit. The sizing is not always the same, sometimes I need a 2, sometimes I need a 6. But the proportion is usually spot on. But, this dress is just completely off from what they are showing. The odd thing is that the print one, which is a cotton knit, is cut like the photo. the other strange thing is that the print one is cotton and the obisdian one is wool (both knits), but the cotton one has more body and a better hand than the wool.

You're right, though, you never know!

The obsidian one, just might work for IceAlissa. She loved it and thought it would be too long for her. It would probably be perfect for her.

27. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Well, I'm also sad to report I think I have to take the Tahari jacket back to Saks. :(

It's too big in the shoulders and if I get the medium it will be too small in the boobs. Story of my life.

Also, and my bratty but accurate daughter just had to point this out, on a young woman, it's cool and chic. On me it's sort of grandmotherly, almost too ungapatz for me to get much use out of it.

And I need the money anyway.

28. cruisin

Tell your lovely and wonderful daughter, that while she may be brilliant, on this point she is incorrect :). That jacket with a pair of skinny jeans and a white tee shirt, or really dark wider legged, high waisted jeans with a solid blouse - stunning, not grannyish at all. Of course I'd wear that with 4.5" heels!

But, fit is a whole other thing. Maybe she just said that to make you feel better about not keeping it.

29. skatesindreams

Sorry that the jacket didn't work out, PRlady.
    There is likely a better - and cheaper - alternative; waiting for you to find it!

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What's ungapatz?