What do I wear?...the sequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PRlady, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's gawgeous! :glamor:

My mom chose her dress from the vast collection of clothes in her closet courtesy of her sister. It's a deep purple velvet sleeveless with sheer patterned velvet shawl. :) My sister liked the dress she got from a thrift store (and she'll be the only bridesmaid so she won't have to match anyone), but all attempts in photographing it have gone pretty poorly. It's a bright teal in real life, but according to the iPhone, it's either yellowish teal or bright blue. I joked it would be interesting to see if our photographer's camera could capture its true color. :lol:

cruisin, you have exactly my measurements, and I'm 28 with no children. AND I can see my ribs and the front of my pelvis when I'm just relaxed and standing. In my case I think I can blame it on having an unnecessarily long ribcage. :shuffle:

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

So, I'm not too bad for gonna be 60 in February? Are you tall as well? I can see my ribs, especially my chest ribs (that's partly age :lol:). I cannot see my hip bones, they are so freakishly small that they just disappear!

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm not that tall - 5'5". I joke that I have the body of a cockroach with an ass. :p The most hilarious thing is that people assume I'm teeny everywhere because I'm so bony, especially in my arms. But that's just the cockroach frame! :lol:

Um, of course that's not bad, especially considering how most people my age aren't able to see their ribs anymore. :p My mother is similarly tiny, although I hope not to be that small when I'm her age because of the whole osteoporosis thing. :shuffle:

4. cruisin

Well, make sure you get plenty of calcium rich foods. And get plenty of exercise. Unfortunately, osteoporosis runs in families and people who are small boned have less bone mass, to start with. Heading with diet and exercise helps, but won't necessarily prevent bone loss. Did your Mom go through menopause early? I did, at 48, that has something to do with it too. There are medications for bone density, but they are now seeing more serious side effects, that are not so great, from many of them. I can't take any of them. The bisphosphonates (Fosamax) can cause stomach problems, I already have reflux. And that type of drug can cause lower mandible bone loss, I have lower mandible dental implants. So, I can't take that in any form oral or injectable. They are also finding that Fosamax does increase lower back and hip density but can cause fractures in the femur bones. An older type of drug, Revista, which works differently. But, that can cause blood clotting. So, since I'm on Crestor, that would be rather counter intuitive. Again, eat and exercise for bone health NOW! You will thank yourself in 20 years :).

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i would like to see the stuart weitzman shoes please

6. cruisin

MLP, your wish is my command :) http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...ategoryID=1000608#fn=spp=20&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=5

I figured the metallic blue would be better than trying to actually match the navy lace. The metallic will pick up the navy tones, rather than look off (I hope :)). Now, just hope the heel is not too high. But, I should have the dress in 8 weeks. If they are too high I can still return them. But, better to have them than regret not grabbing them while I could.

7. my little pony

i really like them, i dont buy anything less than 3.5 inches. i think you can do it.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

They are lovely.

Fingers crossed that they coordinate with your dress.
    You had a coupon, as well.
    Better to try, because you'd likely never see those in your size - at that price - again!

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The shoes are beautiful but that kind of peep-toe kills my big toes. I have never had a comfortable pair.

10. cruisin

I'm only worried about the length of the dress. They measured me in a pair of 3" heels that they sell (which were Stuart Weitzman). The Bloomingdales site says the pair I ordered is 3.5" high. But, the Stuart Weizman site has the same shoe in black and ivory and says the heel is 3". So, hopefully the shoe is the same shoe and Bloomingdales just has it wrong by half an inch. I did stand up very tall when they measured me :)

Absolutely! I figured the worst thing would be that they are not right and I have to return them. But, for the price - it is worth the try!

I have a pair of Stuart Weizman peep toe shoes, they are very comfortable. The peep toe is cut so that it doesn't cut into your toe across the top. Cole Haan makes a very comfortable peep toe, as well.

11. my little pony

wait what size are they? give them to me

i'm thinking of having a moving shower and registering for home goods. i will take shoes in lieu of that.

12. cruisin

13. skatesindreams

Sorry about the shoes, crusin!
    The right pair is out there, somewhere.

14. cruisin

Found these, http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...D=17396#fn=COLOR=Blue&spp=1&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=5 and can get $50 off. But, they might be too bright a navy (the dress is very dark), and they don't have them in the store. That's going to be my problem. Navy evening shoes are only on line options, they don't stock them in store. I suppose I could order them and if the color is wrong, return them.

Here's where my head is (with the holidays and the wedding coming up) I accidentally paid Bloomingdales twice! They owe me $500.00! :lol: Only me!

Oops, forgot the link :lol:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  15. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Cruisin, what about pewter shoes? Not as bright as silver, and you don't have to match like with a navy pair.

16. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I love them and can't buy anything that high. Yesterday I did wear heels to work higher than 3 inches, but they are "OH!" brand which are orthopedically blah blah blah. Then I went to the market on the way home and by the time I got those fcukers off my feet at 6:30 PM I was crippled. :(

17. cruisin

I was thinking that too. but, all of the pewter ones that I like are 4" heels. I can't go over 3.5" because the dress was measured for that.

18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

cruisin - Did you try (online) Nordstrom? Jildor's?

19. cruisin

I've tried Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Macy's, Neiman Markus, Saks (the last two have nothing that is in my price range for navy evening shoes). I've never heard of Jildor's.

20. skatesindreams

21. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

You know damn well they're three sizes too big for you -- 9 or 9.5. :mad:

22. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

www.jildorshoes.com. They have a physical store in Cedarhurst, NY (Long Island).

23. cruisin

Will check both places. The only drawback is that I can't really tell color from a photo (especially on line). And I can't just bring them back to a store, like Bloomingdales or Nordstroms. Not a huge deal, I just hate having to ship things back. But, if I find what I want, it's worth it :)

Nope! At 5' 10" I have oddly small feet. Just an 8. But, alas, those shoes are not to be had :(

24. my little pony

since you are fashionable people, i will take this to you. i need a couch. i'd like a long couch. not brown or tan or white. i'm thinking grey but im open. i've been looking for a while and they are all running together. do you have any on line favorite furniture links?

25. cruisin

Shop locally and buy here: http://www.furniturelandsouth.com You can also go through their furniture brands and search for couches. We just bought a Hancock & Moore sofa and love seat. Found them up here, bought them from NC. Saved $$$.

26. my little pony

thanks cruisin

27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I would go more for comfort than color because satin shoes are less sretchable than say leather. Maybe try dyables? Does Cole Haan have them because they are infinitely more comfy than any other brand. Also, have you tried Ferragamo, my oldest DD wore them for her wedding.

28. cruisin

I love Cole Haan, but nothing navy. And most of their heels are too high for this dress. They are incredibly comfortable and are usually my first choice. I did find these: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...4294912398 306418049 4294929614&bmUID=jJUX1iU I ordered them and will hold onto them, in case I can't find anything else. I did NOT want to spend that much on a navy satin shoe. But, I was able to try them on in white and they are quite comfortable. I have the sales ladies in the shoe departments in a few stores looking for me. I don't have to keep the shoes from Saks, but figured they were my safety net.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  29. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I got SO tired of looking for a couch that didn't look like every other couch in the mid-priced stores. Finally I went to a local store http://www.randomharvesthome.com/ and bought a reproduction camelback sofa from the '30s and covered it in soft blue upholstery. Other people say it's not cushy enough but I like it fine, and it's pretty.

In other words, try a local store that does not have the same couch in 15 different but boring upholsteries. I'm lookin' at you, Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel.

30. KCC

KCC Active Member

I went shopping today and feel totally worn out on all of the glitter and rhinestones on EVERYTHING! Jeans, belts, tops, dresses, purses, hats, scarves, and shoes -- from flats to platforms to boots. Even underware. And of course all costume jewelry has sparkle-crystals. Really, a little goes a long way (I am not opposed to a little sparkle). But why anyone would want to look like a disco ball is beyond me -- it is like designers are fashioning for 6-year olds. I can't wait for this craze to be over.