What do I wear?...the sequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PRlady, Aug 10, 2012.

1. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I hope no-one else started a second part to this, if they did and I missed it I'm sorry.

I just have to do the snoopy happy dance. I finally got to Nordstrom's customer service and the dress and jacket I infamously bought in May were reduced by.....$330. Meaning that beautiful dress and jacket cost me a little more than $400, which I think is entirely reasonable.

Another heartfelt cheer for Nordstrom. They keep their promises!

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Hooray!
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the ensemble even more in the years ahead.

I love Nordstrom's.

3. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Wow, that is awesome! Hooray!

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:respec: Nordstrom!!!! And :cheer2: PRChic!

5. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

woooo, thank goodness this thread has been continued because hubby and I have decided to renew our wedding vows on our 13th anniversary this October! We originally planned to do it on our 10th but then life happened, ie. had to replace my minivan AND his car. oye. Anyhoo, we'd like to make it for this October taking place at Baker Beach or The Palace of Fine Arts rotunda, both in San Francisco but will adjust the date if say the rotunda is booked. When we first got married I always wanted to have the wedding and reception under the rotunda but they don't allow amplified sound and I had to rent port a potties (yuck!) so it never happened. Now that it will be just us and our 4 kids, the rotunda is VERY possible. I have always liked the thought of a beach wedding and to have the Golden Gate in the background would be fabulous, but it is Baker Beach and with my luck I'll end up with nudists in the background along with the bridge. hehehe
    I've been looking at dresses and here's my Pinterest board of what I've found so far. This board basically tells you what I'm thinking but am open to other ideas.

6. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I like all the dresses but my favorite is the 1st one - the sleeveless v-neck one. There are a few that I think are a little matronly...probably not the look you're going for.

7. skatesindreams

Of what you've posted thus far, I like the first dress - as long as it's not too short - and the lace AP immediately below it.
    You should look for something sophisticated - and not too "cute".

8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I also like the first one, so far.

Found this, it's very elegant and simple: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/David...%2C731%2C&eItemId=prod141930097&cmCat=product
    Since it's October, you could do longer sleeves. This is gorgeous on, my daughter has it is dark charcoal: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...RESS_OCCASION=Party&spp=11&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=61
    Gorgeous, but a little $$$: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...294929615 4294929613 4294929616&bmUID=jAmZryL
    http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...294929615 4294929613 4294929616&bmUID=jAmZryP

PRLady, that's fantastic. A great price for a stunning ensemble!

9. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Is this the one you wore to the White House? That was gorgeous.

The model in the 1st link looks like she has scoliosis. Or terrible posture.

10. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I went clothes shopping today. I spent over $350 even with a discount. The sales lady turns to me and says in a chipper tone "You saved $66 today!"

Um, not really... :shuffle:

11. cruisin

The weird "model pose". You're right, that one is particularly awkward.

:lol: But, when you combine that with triple Bloomie points, it feels a little better. :D

12. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:lol: Get anything good? I love watching clothing/makeup/jewelry haul videos on YouTube (at least most of them that aren't braggy), it's basically what I used to do with my mom and sister when I lived at home. "See I got this sweater!" "Ooh cute!" :D

The other day, I spent $80 at Kohl's and the "savings" was $245 :eek: :lol: Three sweaters, a pair of jeans, a dress, a towel and a shower caddy, all from the clearance section plus a 30% coupon.

13. cruisin

^^ Impressive!

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I was mostly buying dress pants and tops for work. So nothing particularly interesting.

15. PRlady

On the vow-renewal, I like the dresses from vintage and david's for MHH. We already know she's gorgeous and can wear strapless. ;)

I had to return my mom's birthday present to Anthropologie yesterday, too big. Unfortunately, at Tyson's Galleria that store is right next to the only Tahari store in this area. :shuffle: And they had a sale rack.

At least I only bought the beautiful white blouse at half price and not the other two tops that fit me. :shuffle: Everyone needs a good white blouse, right?

16. cruisin

Absolutely! And, since white blouses tend to develop "mystery stains" when put away for the season you don't wear them, everyone needs new white blouses occasionally. :) I think that is one of the true mysteries, where do these stains, that were not there when you put the white garment away, come from? :lol:

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

myhoneyhoney, I really like this dress. It's pretty and bride-y without being too bride-y. I think the tea color would be gorgeous against your skintone, too.

18. skatesindreams

Of the strapless options, I like that one best, also.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Having seen your picture, mhh (and you are gorgeous), I'd go with a v-neck sleeveless, either the satin or the lace one on your Pinterest (camille lavie/Marie May).

I am sort of burned out on strapless but that just me. I am sure you'd look great in that too.

I also absolutely love the one that cruisin found in NM, the sequined one. :swoon: I think the intense white would look amazing with your coloring but am not sure if you like the silhouette. I do, it's right up my alley.

And yes, PRLady, everyone needs a white blouse, especially professionals who dress for the office.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  20. PRlady

There's another Elie jacket I've been wanting for a while. It's now on sale for half price, but not online. I contacted a sales rep by online chat who informed me that there MAY be one in my size in either Short Hills, NJ or Atlanta.

My first thought was asking cruising or cyn to go pick it up. :shuffle:

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

They should ship it to you.

22. PRlady

If they actually have it, they will. But I thought it was funny that my first thought was, oh, there are nice FSUers there who care about this stuff. :lol:

23. cruisin

Where at Short Hills? Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Saks? There is no Tahari store in Short Hills. The only other department store in SH is Macy's, and they do not carry Elie Tahari. I can pick it up for you. But, if it is any of those stores, you can call the store directly, ask for the department and they will ship it to you. Since it is not available at your closest store, they should not charge you for shipping. If you want me to pick it up, call and have them hold it. Phone number for the Short Hills Department Stores...

Nordstroms: 973.467.1500.
    Bloomingdales: 973.548.2200
    Neiman: 973.912.0080
    Saks: 973.376.7000

PM me and let me know what you need for me to do.

24. PRlady

You are so nice. I was kidding. (And it's Saks.) If they or the Atlanta store actually have it ("inventory lags real time" my cust service rep intoned) they will send it to me with no shipping charge.

I hope they do. If there ever was a jacket I could wear on TV and then keep it on with jeans to go get a burger, it's this one: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524446483855

25. cruisin

LOVE IT! Very Chanel! The Saks in SH has a very large Elie Tahari department. They have more inventory for Tahari than the other 3 stores. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I can tell you that Bloomingdales.com has less than what is in the store. If they don't have the jacket in any of the Saks, try and get the vendor skew number. Then call Bloomingdales, etc.

This is a long shot, but you could also try the Elie Tahari outlet in Woodbury Commons. They are only one season behind and might have it. I don't know what their shipping polcies are, however. Here is the number: 845.928.3664

Did a Polyvore and Shopstyle search. The only stores that had the jacket were Saks and Bloomingdales. Both are sold out, on line. So, if Saks doesn't have it, try calling Bloomingdales. Call your local Bloomingdales and ask them to do a store search for you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  26. skatesindreams

PRlady, I like the jacket also.
    I hope that you can get it for the price you wish!

27. PRlady

Well, OTOH, I swore I would have my VISA paid off by the end of august. This will move that goalpost a bit. ;)

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:lol: I was about to post how very Chanel this jacket is.

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i LOVE that
    i look much better in collarless jackets
    and i will be going by saks tomorrow, well sort of but i can force it into my path

30. cruisin

Great (fashion) minds think alike :lol: