What do I wear? (Electric Boogaloo)

Anita18

It depends!
The last thread I found was more than a year old, so I figured it was okay to start a new one!

I have a job interview next week at the city's Department of Building and Safety, and I don't know what to wear. :lol: I've only interviewed at startups or quirky design companies, where not being 100% on point is okay. It's in construction, but it's also official business-stuff, and everyone I see on their website (which, granted, isn't much) is in suit and tie, which is making me a little nervous.

It's a technical position, so I expect lots of men will be interviewing for it, so right now my quandary is skirt or pants. :lol: I haven't been able to find many pictures of women on the website - the ONLY picture I've been able to find that includes women at the organization was cut off at the waist. :wall:

A lawyer friend of mine turned me on to White House Black Market, which is pricey (for me :p ) but good quality (and machine washable!) so I'm totally open to getting an outfit from there. I'm just not sure what to get, for this job interview and others like it. Right now I have a random mishmosh of "work-appropriate" stuff I've collected from my shopaholic aunt that doesn't quite match, so I'd like to start fresh.

Ideally, I'd like to fit in enough so I don't stick out like a sore thumb, but also communicate that I have personality. Because I do, and I don't want to stifle that just to get a job. (I wouldn't be able to tamp it down for long if I did get the job anyway! :rollin: ) I'm not desperate, but it really does sound like interesting work.

Or am I just overthinking this and should spend my time familiarizing myself with the organization? :rofl:

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
From the description, I'd say black pants, a bright top or blouse (not pastel), jacket or cardigan, a bit of jewelry and closed toed/lower heeled shoes. That's an outfit that would work out in the field as well as in the office. As for the personality, do you have a necklace that's interesting, but not terribly out there?

clairecloutier

Very curious to hear people's advice on this. I always used to wear a skirt suit and a very plain blouse underneath for job interviews. But that was 10 years ago. Now, I feel like I'd be more inclined to wear a nice dress and perhaps a cardigan or jacket over it? I'm not sure if that would be considered serious enough, though. Curious to hear what everyone thinks.

AndyWarhol

Very curious to hear people's advice on this. I always used to wear a skirt suit and a very plain blouse underneath for job interviews. But that was 10 years ago. Now, I feel like I'd be more inclined to wear a nice dress and perhaps a cardigan or jacket over it? I'm not sure if that would be considered serious enough, though. Curious to hear what everyone thinks.

I think it is totally fine to wear a dress for an interview, but I would team it with a fitted blazer instead of a cardi :)

Aceon6

I work in a place that's the exact middle between jeans and suit and tie. Skirt suits are considered a bit old fashioned except in banking and law. For tech work, pants are most common. For marketing, PR, HR, and more people facing jobs, we see more dresses.

An old mentor once told me that 90% of what you wear should be absolutely forgettable. The other 10% needs to be something they remember. After all, when they're discussing the candidates, they won't necessarily remember your name. "The woman with the red sweater had a lot of relevant experience, but the woman with the yellow shirt presented herself better."

ETA, if I do wear a dress, I always do a sit test in front of a full length mirror. Sit, cross legs, cross other way. I nix the outfit if I have to adjust it in any way.

AndyWarhol

The last thread I found was more than a year old, so I figured it was okay to start a new one!

I have a job interview next week at the city's Department of Building and Safety, and I don't know what to wear. :lol: I've only interviewed at startups or quirky design companies, where not being 100% on point is okay. It's in construction, but it's also official business-stuff, and everyone I see on their website (which, granted, isn't much) is in suit and tie, which is making me a little nervous.

It's a technical position, so I expect lots of men will be interviewing for it, so right now my quandary is skirt or pants. :lol: I haven't been able to find many pictures of women on the website - the ONLY picture I've been able to find that includes women at the organization was cut off at the waist. :wall:

A lawyer friend of mine turned me on to White House Black Market, which is pricey (for me :p ) but good quality (and machine washable!) so I'm totally open to getting an outfit from there. I'm just not sure what to get, for this job interview and others like it. Right now I have a random mishmosh of "work-appropriate" stuff I've collected from my shopaholic aunt that doesn't quite match, so I'd like to start fresh.

Ideally, I'd like to fit in enough so I don't stick out like a sore thumb, but also communicate that I have personality. Because I do, and I don't want to stifle that just to get a job. (I wouldn't be able to tamp it down for long if I did get the job anyway! :rollin: ) I'm not desperate, but it really does sound like interesting work.

Or am I just overthinking this and should spend my time familiarizing myself with the organization? :rofl:

For skirt or pants, wear which ever you feel more comfortable/suits your shape best. I would advice a strong coloured blouse that suits your skin tone, and as much as a HATE this, if you can handle them, wear heels if dealing with men. It sucks, but you will get more respect with every extra inch.

Anita18

It depends!
From the description, I'd say black pants, a bright top or blouse (not pastel), jacket or cardigan, a bit of jewelry and closed toed/lower heeled shoes. That's an outfit that would work out in the field as well as in the office. As for the personality, do you have a necklace that's interesting, but not terribly out there?
That's something I can work with! Thanks! :) I should probably get a good pair of black pants, since the "work pants" I have are in various shades of gray (and faded black :slinkaway: ) that don't necessarily go with everything. I mean, they looked good when I bought them (often used from the last place I worked, from the admin employees), but when I lay them out with my tops....nope! Color's always off and meh. A good strong black is probably an investment piece.

I work in a place that's the exact middle between jeans and suit and tie. Skirt suits are considered a bit old fashioned except in banking and law. For tech work, pants are most common. For marketing, PR, HR, and more people facing jobs, we see more dresses.

An old mentor once told me that 90% of what you wear should be absolutely forgettable. The other 10% needs to be something they remember. After all, when they're discussing the candidates, they won't necessarily remember your name. "The woman with the red sweater had a lot of relevant experience, but the woman with the yellow shirt presented herself better."
Pants definitely make sense to me in that context. There would be some people-facing, but as an equal, not as a "marketing/PR" sort of role where I'd try to purposely look nice for people.

For skirt or pants, wear which ever you feel more comfortable/suits your shape best. I would advice a strong coloured blouse that suits your skin tone, and as much as a HATE this, if you can handle them, wear heels if dealing with men. It sucks, but you will get more respect with every extra inch.
My interviewer is actually a woman, and it looks like her department has quite a number of women in it too, but I'm sure I'd be dealing with a lot of men! Judging by the outfits, and the age of folks I see on the website, more conservative (short of the strictness of law or finance) might be the way to go.

Aceon6

and as much as a HATE this, if you can handle them, wear heels if dealing with men. It sucks, but you will get more respect with every extra inch.
Fine line on this job though. It's Building and SAFETY. Personally, I wouldn't wear any shoe that would keep me from running out of the building if there was a fire. The last thing you need at an interview is something that stands out as inconsistent with the job.

Aceon6

BTW, upthread, I used two female candidates in the example. At our shop, we do the same thing with the guys. "The guy with the weird tie was an exact fit. The guy with the beard seemed a bit low key but might work, and we can rule out the guy with the argyle socks, right?"

AndyWarhol

Fine line on this job though. It's Building and SAFETY. Personally, I wouldn't wear any shoe that would keep me from running out of the building if there was a fire. The last thing you need at an interview is something that stands out as inconsistent with the job.

I would still go with heels myself. Pretty much all the women I know (or style) that work in those industries, which are very male dominated, wear heels. They are more executive types though, not out in the fields etc.

I personally only wear heels at weddings or funerals. And even these days it's gotta be someone special for me to go through the hassle haha.

clairecloutier

I would still go with heels myself. Pretty much all the women I know (or style) that work in those industries, which are very male dominated, wear heels. They are more executive types though, not out in the fields etc.

I personally only wear heels at weddings or funerals. And even these days it's gotta be someone special for me to go through the hassle haha.

So with you on this. I have not worn heels in 6 years. I know how unstylish that makes me, but I don't care. I'm comfortable. I remember the pain I used to be in, tripping around my office in 4-inch heels .... ouch.

Aceon6

No heels. Many tech people see heels as frivolous. :D
We have one tech manager who is very fond of tight pencil skirts with stilettos. She sticks out like a sore thumb. Fortunately, she's competent, but I wouldn't put her in charge of the evacuation plan.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Totally agree. My last workplace had a clothing policy that banned open toed shoes but mentioned nothing about ridiculously high heels. We had women who would end up tripping over at work because of their heels.

I would say no heels or a heel no higher than a couple of inches. Stylish but sensible footwear is much more professional.

Anita18

It depends!
No heels. Many tech people see heels as frivolous. :D
I remember the last startup I contracted at, the head developer went around the office barefoot. :lol:

I'll see what I have...I don't have the best of luck finding flats that fit my wide feet and narrow heels.

altai_rose

I vote against the black -- too somber. Dark gray pant suit, blouse or dress shirt (here, go for a professional but feminine touch). No flats, no stilettos, but something with a 2-3 inch heel.

Last edited:

Aceon6

I remember the last startup I contracted at, the head developer went around the office barefoot. :lol:

I'll see what I have...I don't have the best of luck finding flats that fit my wide feet and narrow heels.
Moderate heel wedges, maybe? You could adjust the back strap to keep your heels secure.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Don't stress about it too much. Something practical but nice looking that you like and are comfortable wearing.

mag

Don't stress about it too much. Something practical but nice looking that you like and are comfortable wearing.

This. You need to be comfortable so you can focus on the questions. As long as everything is clean, pressed, and and your shoes are polished, I don't think anyone will care much about your clothing or the height of your heels.

Anita18

It depends!
This. You need to be comfortable so you can focus on the questions. As long as everything is clean, pressed, and your shoes are polished, I don't think anyone will care much about your clothing or the height of your heels.
That's just more things to think about for me. :lol:

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now

I would not, unless you are extremely comfortable in wearing them. My sister who is in management in nuclear engineering field never, ever wears heels. If she would try to, she would look like she had been drinking. very unstable on her feet, her foot structure would not support walking in heels.

I like Black and White Market - but they do have some trendy types of clothing. Ann Taylor (not Ann Taylor Loft) has some basic but classy outfits. Find one of the older sales personnel. The younger ones tend to want to sell you items that look good when out clubbing (not all, but some).
After you purchase the interview clothing wear it around the house, practice sitting in it, making yourself comfortable in it, so that it doesn't appear like the "new holiday clothing". Make it look lived in, but not tired/worn.

AndyWarhol

We have one tech manager who is very fond of tight pencil skirts with stilettos. She sticks out like a sore thumb. Fortunately, she's competent, but I wouldn't put her in charge of the evacuation plan.

:(

I vote against the black -- too somber. Dark gray pant suit, blouse or dress shirt (here, go for a professional but feminine touch). No flats, no stilettos, but something with a 2-3 inch heel.

But black is so chic! I am a Melbournian though hehe. 100% black 100% of the time!

A friend of mine who works in upper management of a large construction firm was recently told she had a chance to make it at the executive level, "despite being a woman" because she is slim (no distracting boobies) and tall, so whe she wears heels she is is the same height as the men and that means "they respect [her]". Yep, 2015 ladies...

AndyWarhol

I would not, unless you are extremely comfortable in wearing them. My sister who is in management in nuclear engineering field never, ever wears heels. If she would try to, she would look like she had been drinking. very unstable on her feet, her foot structure would not support walking in heels.

I like Black and White Market - but they do have some trendy types of clothing. Ann Taylor (not Ann Taylor Loft) has some basic but classy outfits. Find one of the older sales personnel. The younger ones tend to want to sell you items that look good when out clubbing (not all, but some).
After you purchase the interview clothing wear it around the house, practice sitting in it, making yourself comfortable in it, so that it doesn't appear like the "new holiday clothing". Make it look lived in, but not tired/worn.

Yeah, that's what I said "if you can" in my first post. Nothing worse than looking like a drunk flamingo at the beach.

Spun Silver

Not to paint with too broad a brush stroke, but people who work in city agencies are not very fashion forward. I think you're overthinking it. They are more concerned with checking demographic boxes than what people look like. Wear what suits you. But it's always appropriate to dress up a little bit for an interview, in a tailored way. JMO.

snoopy

I wore a black suit to an interview way back and the interviewer made some crack about attending a funeral. So I stay away from that now, cause well he had a point. I still wear black but will break it up - like a black jacket with a houndstooth skirt - so it is not as severe looking.

I also stay away from navy suits cause every time I've worn one in an airport I get asked if I work for the airline.

Anita18

It depends!
Not to paint with too broad a brush stroke, but people who work in city agencies are not very fashion forward. I think you're overthinking it. They are more concerned with checking demographic boxes than what people look like. Wear what suits you. But it's always appropriate to dress up a little bit for an interview, in a tailored way. JMO.
I don't think you have met me. My usual outfit is t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. I need help. :rofl:

I also stay away from navy suits cause every time I've worn one in an airport I get asked if I work for the airline.
:rofl:

Aceon6

FWIW, I'd say no matched suits of any color on an interview unless you are in banking, law, or are looking at a VP or C level position in a traditional industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information