What cell phone should I buy?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Feb 26, 2011.

1. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

We are changing cell phone companies, thus getting free or greatly reduced cell phones. My husband is getting an HTC 4G Inspire but I am torn between several phones: the Blackberry Pearl, the Htc 4G, & several 3G phones.

Can anyone tell me the advantages of the Blackberry over the other phones? Or if there is any reason to get a 3G instead of a 4G?

2. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i personally hated the pearl- i had one on loan when my blackberry curve was getting fixed- it was hard to use- had no smart phone functions and the keys to text and reply to email was cumbersome (the auto text thing was so bad)
    i love my curve- it is easy to use- easy to read screen and use it WAY too much! if you are not using for work - and sending tonnes of emails- lots of downloading through the browser you probably wont notice 3g vs 4g -
    only down side of my berry is that when i use wireless interent it sucks the life out of the battery- so i use my car charger a lot

3. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

My friend has an HTC and I lurve it. It's going to be my next phone! I'd take it over the blackberry because it's easier to use, IMO :)

ETA - No, wait. Never mind. Friend has a different HTC - Desire, not Inspire.

4. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I recommend the HTC 4G.

5. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I've never had a blackberry but pretty much everyone I know that has had one has had them fall apart rather quickly. My friends may just be hard on them though. Most of my friends who have had one blackberry end up getting something different when they renew their contracts.

6. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Work issues Pearls. Hardly anyone likes them.

7. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

My BF is seems happy with his Blackberry (Storm ? does it exist ?) and I'm very happy with my old iPhone. I'll have to renew my contract soon and I think I'll just upgrade for a newer model.

8. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I really liked the Apple iPhone but the mo rate & all the accessories & extras were more expensive. Thanks for the info on the Blackberry. I'm leaning toward the 4G HTC because it has a better discount than all the 3g's. It is $99 with a 2 yr contract vs $149 to $199 for all the 3G's.

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I had the storm and would have still been happy with it (I think) but when Droids came out my husband upgraded us to the Droids. I love the droid.

I think my son has the HTC 3 phone and is on a separate carrier from the rest of us (son 1/dil1, son2/fiance, husband and me). He wants the droid.

But blackberrycurve - no one liked.

10. fsfann

fsfann Well-Known Member

I bought a Samsung Galaxy 5...(before that I had a 3 y/o Blackberry that held up very well). I have to say that as much as I love the new phone, I miss the Blackberry for its EMAIL functions. Nothing pushes emails as fast as BBs...

I am in the process of considering selling my Galaxy and buying a Blackberry solely because of the email preference that I ahve for it. My Galaxy is great for web-browsing etc... :)

11. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

I just got the Blackberry Style and I love it....it's a flip phone, a little different than most Blackberrys and something that had held me back from getting one in the past. I agree with the poster(s) about the battery though! Doesn't last long, but it recharges really fast!

12. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I had a BB Storm and didn't mind it, except for the paltry app memory. I have a Torch now and am quite enamoured of it.

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I suffered through 3 years of the Blackberry Pearl. The shared keyboard was awful. I much prefer my Bold. A big downside of the Blackberry is that the internet browser is practically useless (on ATT anyway). Really hard to search. Upside is that email delivery is fantastic, and I never drop calls.

Love my Verizon Iphone, but I have dropped a couple of calls due to the antenna placement. Still getting used to holding it in a different way.