What are your favorite teas?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm planning to put together a variety of teas for a gift for someone, and wanted some suggestions on your favorite teas and online tea shops that you like.

I mostly order from Teavana which I like, but I want to do a variety, so any new suggestions would be great. Either loose leaf or bags are fine. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

2. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

I love Stash Chai tea, but have also been on a blueberry tea kick lately!

3. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I'm partial to mint teas -- any kind, any brand.

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy drinking green tea, chamomile tea and lemon tea. :) Next week my school is organizing some kind of tea samples event, with a large number of different teas. I plan on trying all of them, so I'll tell you some more teas I like next week. :D

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Earl Grey with a splash of milk :)

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I had an afternoon tea at the Ritz where they serve a rose petal black tea. I am not sure of the brand but it was so amazing that I drank 4 cups and stayed up all night because of the overdose of caffeine. :shuffle:

I can't find the exact brand they use but here's something that may work: http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Tea-Petal-Black-4-Ounce/dp/B001EPPE1K/ref=pd_sbs_gro_2

Also, I love Lupicia but sadly they've closed their store near me. Here's their website: http://www.lupiciausa.com/Green_Tea_s/28.htm

I've never bought a tea of theirs I didn't love.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

http://www.davidstea.com/

Davids Tea is my absolute favourite :swoon:
    My favourites are Cream of Earl Grey, Forever Nuts (it tastes like an oatmeal cookie!) and Lemon Bombshell.

8. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm really partial to Numi's Lemongrass tea right now!

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'm a Southerner! ICED tea, please!

10. JILEN

JILEN New Member

I'm partial to Teavana but when a friend went home to Peking last year and brought me back blends of Black loose leaves ( lychee flavor I like the best) I got hooked right away. When I ran out, I was happy they were available on line and not that pricey. I also found out that caffeine content of the black is not as high compare to the likes of the teavana, english and more popular grocery brands. I hope your friend you're giving the gift to has no problem with caffeine, these days caffeine gives me serious palpitation I have to avoid even a sip of coke and I'm finding it harder and harder to find a good caffeine-free tea blend. Happy shopping around GK..

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I had Stash tea in Portland (peppermint) and it was so yummy, I got a gift set for my boss because he's a tea fiend. :lol:

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I love both Celestial Seasonings and Twinning's teas, but tend to favour CS more.

I've *got* to have my Decaf Mountain Chai from CS about an hour before bed. It's a combo of the smell and the taste. To me, it's a Comfort Drink and just makes me feel warm, comfy and winds me down. They also have a Honey Vanilla Chai. but it's not Decaf. I wasn't crazy about it when it was given to me as a gift from Family Friends. Just because on sight it didn't sound that good a combination. Then I tried it and I'll have it during the Afternoon if I'm having a bit of a day. It really is a nice tea.

I love the majority of their Fruit Zinger teas, but am partial to their Acai Berry, True Blue Blueberry and Wild Berry Zinger teas. I was really pleased w/how well the Acai Berry tastes as an Iced Tea when I gave it a try last Summer. I did four bags of it in the pitcher combined w/a Tablespoon of honey for sweetener and will be doing that again this Summer at some point. :)

They also have an Apple Cinnamon Zinger that I just have to have in the early Fall when it's starting to turn not cold, not warm, but crisp out if that makes sense. I tried it a couple of years ago on the reccomendation of the owner of our little Health Food Store we've got and so glad I listened to her. I swear, it's like you're drinking a Cinnamon Candy Apple and sooooo good!!! It is one of those things that goes hand in hand w/Fall though, but still excellent. :)

I also adore their Mint Magic tea. That's one of my favourite flavours to begin w/, but they combine four different kinds of Mint and...Sigh!!! :) Talk about Mint Heaven. :D They've got a wonderful Decaf White Mint tea too that's just fantastic.

When it comes to what's considered the "Normal" (at least w/my parents and their friends) Teas, I tend to go to Twinnings when I can find them. I do adore their Lady Grey tea. I like Earl Grey tea, but there are times when it is a bit strong for the mood I'm in and the Lady Grey fits in perfectly w/those times.

I just tried the Stash Chai for the first time a few weeks ago. I was out of Chai, my Mom was out, but couldn't find any CS Chai in the Store she was in. She saw the Stash brand of Chai was there and she bought it. I really liked it and would buy it again. As CS's Chai is the only one I've ever found in Decaf around here though, I'll stick w/it for the most part, but I'll have to pick up some more of Stash's for when I want a cup of Chai during the day and the caffeine issue won't be in play as much as it is when I have it at Bedtime.

I also ended up getting a box of their White Christmas tea a few years ago and would get that again in a heartbeat. If I ever saw it again that is. I've only found it that one time sadly. Especially as it was a Tea w/Mint in it, so it worked w/Christmas and was a Speciality Tea my Parents' friends and our older Family Members liked as well. That's rare around here, but I've only found it the once.

Anyway...Those are my suggestions. One thing a friend of my Sister's did for a gift like this, was that she found a nice cup/mug w/roses on it and then chose Rosehip Tea, among other similar teas, to go along w/it in the Basket she made up. So there's another idea to think about for you. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm partial to Tazo Green Ginger for easy bagged tea. For steeped, I like Earl Grey or Lady Grey.

14. KCC

KCC Active Member

Looking for a substitute for Lipton's old "Gentle Orange" tea. Most orange teas are not "gentle" (i.e., more spicy).

Favorite iced tea is a combination of chamomile and mint. Had it in NYC once and have served it for guests (and myself) ever since.

No favorite brands, but I'm going to try some of the ones listed here!

15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Shouldn't that be ICED SWEET tea?

16. Civic

Civic New Member

My faves are from Twining: Lady Grey and Jasmine Petal. My favorite herbal tea is probably Red Zinger by Celestial Seasons.

17. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

KCC, give Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Green Tea a try. They have it both Decaf and Regular and it's got a lovely taste that's not strong at all.

At least it doesn't to me or my Mom.

18. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

If you don't mind ordering online, Victoria's Teas (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario) is fantastic. They have a lot of specialty local blends, like Niagara ice wine tea. I love their Canadian Breakfast.

http://www.victoriasteas.com/

19. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I love Good Earth's original tea. It makes really good iced tea, too. You don't even have to add sugar because tea is not at all bitter and has a lot of flavor.

20. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I drink alot of tea and I do shop at Teavana or Teavana.com

I tend to buy mostly black teas, some green teas.

My favorites are: Black Dragon Pearl(My absolute favorite tea, but expensive)
    Irish Breakfast(rich, full bodied, its English Breakfast with a huge kick)
    Earl Grey Creme(traditional Earl Grey with a hint of cream favor)
    Capital of Heaven(you can not go wrong with this tea. Simply delicious and wonderful. When I serve this friends, never a complaint)
    Copper Knot Hongcha(full and rich tea, mellow aftertaste)

Assum Breeze(sweet, fruit and nuts) - wonderful tea

I have two teapots a Bodum Glass pot I use at work and Castiron teapot. Castiron really is the way to enjoy leaf/loose teas.

Black teas can handle multiple infusions aka you can steep them again.

21. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I'll second the recommendation for this tea shop. I like the Buckingham Palace.

22. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

My favourite tea is long island iced tea. Unlike caffeinated teas this one does not make me stay up, after three or four I actually have trouble staying up. On my feet that is. Wheeeee.

23. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Red Zinger is my absolute fave.

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Oh, I did that too! And yes, that tea was to die for :swoon:

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

ooo a tea thread! Most of what I buy is Metropolitan Tea, which I think only supplies to the trade so available at tea purveyors and tea rooms in Canada, not sure about anywhere else.

They have a Cream Earl Grey too - seems like many companies do, so I'd highly recommend it.

One of my very favourites from Metropolitan is Lady Londonderry, which has hints of strawberry and lemon. :swoon:

Jasmine is a good tea for those who don't like strong teas. It also makes excellent iced tea.

Assam is strong tea considered by many to be the connoisseur's tea, or Darjeeling, which is lighter but also highly regarded.

If the giftee is an experienced tea drinker, then Lapsang Souchong is a smoky blend, and if you can get it, Dragonwell (or longjine) tea is very earthy and highly prized.

For me, the biggest innovation since sliced bread has got to be the tea bags that you can use with your loose teas. I never liked the various metal implements, so when I found the bags, I was in heaven. Melitta makes them, and of course tea purveyors have them too.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea, Lemon Zinger
    Decaf black tea
    Green tea (I especially lurve this iced)

27. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

That sounds good. I also like CS Tangerine Orange Zinger.

28. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I've only ever had tea bags, so what's the proper etiquette for loose leaf teas? How much are you supposed to use in one of those metal containers?

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Metal containers, I"m assuming you're referring to the infuser. Depends on the tea in regards to portion. Many black teas have 1 tsp per 8 oz, allow it steep 2to 4 minutes and remove the infuser to stop the steeping.

I usually drain the leaves, put them in a glass bowl and cover them for later. One reason I love black teas is that most of them can be use steeped again(2 or 3 times). The caffeine content decreases alot with each additional steeping. So 3 teaspoons of tea can yield about 8 or 9 glasses of tea.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Personally I find that many teas get a twangy taste when steeped too long or the leaves are reused. I get the leaves out of there asap, :lol:.