What are the hardest throws (current) pairs are doing these days?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Savchenko-SZolkowy are doing throw triple axel (although I don't know if they landed one clean in a competition). Other than Inoue & Baldwin in the past, I don't believe anyone has landed this.

AFAIK Kawaguchi-Smirnov still have the throw quad salchow on their list. Is anyone else doing/attempting this? (The Zhangs had landed it LONG ago in a competition, but not at senior worlds, AFAIK). With the COP there is less incentive to try this very dangerous throw.

I think a couple of pairs are doing throw triple lutzes. Correct me if I am wrong- Denney-Coughlin? and Duhamel & Radford?

Only a handful of pairs are doing even throw triple flip. In the past it was S&S (I think they are still doing this) and Obertas & Slavnov (also Obertas & Sokolov).

Throw triple toe is actually a difficult throw but it has lower value, so I don't think anyone is doing this. They would rather do a throw 3sal or 3Loop. Petrova-Tikhonov used to do this (also Shishkova-Naumov) but they replaced it with throw 3loop to increase the difficulty. IMO the 3t is more difficult than 3S and 3R when it comes to a throw.

May be some junior pairs are working on more difficult throws, or are they mainly working on difficult entrances? I would like to know.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

OOPS! Wrong forum. I had meant to start this in the Trash can. Can an admin move it please?
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Savchenko/Szolkowy have never landed a clean throw 3axel in competition. Inoue/Baldwin are the only team to have achieved that so far (Abitbol/Bernardis attempted it).

Kawaguchi/Smirnov have never landed a clean throw quad salchow, IIRC. And they haven't attempted it for a while so they don't really 'have it on their list.' :p

Zhangs landed it at a national event so it didn't count (although it would now given Mroz's quad lutz was ratified...).

The only team to have landed a clean quad throw (salchow) were Vise/Trent at a GP event, IIRC.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Vise/Trent's ratified throw quad Salchow happened in their FS at 2007 TEB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-ptO1Z7Ag

Pairs SP at 2013 Worlds - protocol: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2013/wc2013_Pairs_SP_Scores.pdf
    3LzTh (1): Duhamel/Radford
    3FTh (5): Savchenko/Szolkowy, James/Cipres, Sui/Han, Scimeca/Knierim, Kemp/King
    3LoTh (8): Volosozhar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Pang/Tong, Bazarova/Larionov, Berton/Hotarek, Peng/Zhang, Makarova/Kenchadze
    3STh (3): Castelli/Shnapir, Della Monica/Guarise, Vartmann/Van Cleave
    2FTh: Klatka/Chruscinski
    Also: Denney/Coughlin did 3FTh in their SP last season, Bazarova/Larionov did 3LoTh, both Zhang/Bartholomay and Lawrence/Swiegers did 3LzTh.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  6. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Castelli & Shnapir attempted it also, any others? Also, Savchenko & Szolkowy's 3Axel attempt in the Worlds FS wasn't *quite* clean, but was still a really good attempt and certainly gutsy and memorable at the very end of a 4 1/2 minute program.
  7. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Depends what you call clean. Savchenko/Szolkowy have landed a clean throw 3axel in competition. It wasn't underrotated and it wasn't with fall. It counted as a triple axel. But it did have some negative GOE because it was double footed.
  8. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Didn't Sui-Han do quad a year ago? Not this last season because they missed most of the season due to her injury, but the season 2011-2012 I think they did throw quad.
  9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Why do you say a throw 3t is more difficult than the sal or LP?
  10. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

I don't know much about current pairs doing the throw 3toe. However, here are three from the 1998 Olympics:

Eltsova & Bushkov's

Woetzel & Steuer's

Kazakova & Dmitriev's
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The entrance into throw 3t is more difficult. IMO. It is not as smooth as the edge throws which create momentum on the throw more easily. I may be the only one who thinks this way though. :) Since I have never skated pairs, this is based purely on observations.
  12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yes, they've gone for a 4Sth, but they've always had two-footed landings. (4CC 2012)
  13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't think the triple flip is very attractive. I hate how the ladies leg reaches so far in between the man's legs. It's almost as if she's thrown straight up and down. I prefer the 3STh. K/S have done 16 quads, landing 10 (2008 WC -0.11). They haven't done it in competition in two years although they do it at practice and at practice in competitions. They have said they will be doing it this season. I thought K/S and S/H both got credit but I can't remember. I wonder if S/H will be still doing it? Isn't it on the ISU's site, all the jumps and throws that have been ratified?
  14. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Clean is clean. A hand down, step out, double foot, over or under-rotation or indeed anything that gives a jump negative GOE is not IMO "clean". They did receive the base value of a 3A, but if no-one had landed a throw 3A before that attempt, they certainly would not have had it ratified as "the first" because of the error.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Clean = landed on one foot and maintained balance on the landing without the need for the other foot (or hand) to touch down.

They attempted it a number of times but it was always landed on two feet in competition.

Some skaters I talked to agree. It's down to individual preference and the technique that a skater was taught.

Never clean though.
  16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Harder throws may not be "clean" or perfect but they still get a huge amount of points. That's the same reason D/R continue to do the triple Lutz, because even if they fall it will score well and if they land it (even if it's wonky) will get a huge score. There is a definite reason skaters push the limits of difficulty.