What Annoys You? Pet Peeves and Worse....

Karina1974

Drivers that don't pickup their speed while merging onto a highway. A few years ago, a driver in front of me came to a complete stop in a merge lane. I keept space, otherwise I would have rear ended her.

Right, and what if there was a car that was in the lane she was supposed to be merging into, and that car couldn't (or was to assholey to be considerate) move over and let her in? WTF did you expect her to do, keep on going and get into an accident when the onramp ended and she collided with the other car?

twinsissv

Having to look at plastic bags that get caught up in trees too high to reach...just flapping in the breeze...and flapping...and flapping...and flapping...until they finally...:slinkaway

twinsissv

Listening to sports events where the commentators cannot agree on the pronunciation of an athlete's name. Commentator A says it his/her way and commentator B immediately chimes in with his/her own totally different pronunciation. Sometimes it sounds as if they are describing two athletes instead of one. :argue: Come on, people...isn't that what network staff meeting are for?

Last edited:

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Motorcyclists who don't know how to control their bikes. Last night, my car and at least three others that I saw in a three-mile stretch on the interstate almost killed a motorcyclist because he was either a. suicidal or b. had never driven a motorcycle before. At one point, he was straight-up driving between two cars in two different lanes!

I don't know why many motorcyclists can't understand simple, common-sense physics: I don't care that your motorcycle is all shiny steel and my car is made of plastic and duct tape. It's two freaking tons of plastic and duct tape and considers your wanna-be Ducati a rather annoying bug it can take down in an instant. If we run into each other, there's a good chance one of us will die...and of the two, the least likely is ME. But it's still two lives ruined.

I try not to blame all motorcyclists for not following the rules of the road, but damn, it's hard as I rarely see either actually controlling their vehicle in what any normal person would consider a safe manner

algonquin

Right, and what if there was a car that was in the lane she was supposed to be merging into, and that car couldn't (or was to assholey to be considerate) move over and let her in? WTF did you expect her to do, keep on going and get into an accident when the onramp ended and she collided with the other car?
If that were the case, I would agree with you, but it was not. She was on the top part of the merge lane & not on the highway when she stopped. It was more like she saw the traffic on the 401 & freaked. As I said, I keep space, otherwise it would have been a terrible accident. I watched her for awhile after we did get onto the 401, clearly a very nervous driver that probably should have taken an alternate route. (There are plenty of alternate routes around here.)

Last edited:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
People who forward long email strings with a note that simply says "See below" or something like that. If you want me to respond to you, it's only thoughtful to take a minute and summarize the question you're asking (or at least the general topic) rather than having me read a string of less than clear notes and trying to guess what you want.

algonquin

People who forward long email strings with a note that simply says "See below" or something like that. If you want me to respond to you, it's only thoughtful to take a minute and summarize the question you're asking (or at least the general topic) rather than having me read a string of less than clear notes and trying to guess what you want.
I am guilty of doing that. :slinkaway

twinsissv

I get called, dear, honey, and sweetheart by strangers all the time, which I love, because the people who actually KNOW me, never, ever call me those things! :p

:lol: Yep! There are any number of strangers who are happy to call you by other names for absolutely no reason other than anger issues that they seem to have...especially while driving.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Coming to a full stop in a merge lane is really dangerous - as Alonguin said, she could have easily rear-ended the car in front.

Merging onto a freeway terrifies me, and I'd be the one to come to a full stop. For that reason, I don't drive freeways.

Spun Silver

It took me a long time to come up with a pet peeve but I finally remembered one - people who keep water running unnecessarily while they are doing other tasks. I sometimes get strange looks when I instinctively turn off other people's taps in such situations. Wasting food bugs me too but it is hard to avoid sometimes; I don't always predict accurately how long produce will last. But turning off the tap is so easy!

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I understand the desire to not want to waste water, but I would consider it an invasion of mg personal space if you reached into my faucet to turn it off.. in fact it creeps me out to think that stranger would get that much into my personal space.

leesaleesa

When you make plans with someone, and they neglect to tell you they invited several other people you don't know or like, and they are uninterested in doing what you thought would be done in the first place. Walking hip deep in the Everglades with infants and 83 year olds puts a damper on stuff. So you end up stopping at rest stops and getting pamphlets about stuff you have no intention of doing.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
When you get out of a crowded place (subway, elevator...) and people getting in block the exit making it really difficult to get out. What's the logic in that !!!! I mean they know there's a high probability for people to get out, so why not stand slightly on the side.
People passing you in a waiting line and when you point it out pretend they hadn't seen you even though very few people waiting.
People who wrong you in traffic but when you confront them act offended as if you're the one who can't drive.
People who speaks louder when you tell them you didn't understand what they say. Understanding and hearing are two separate things.

twinsissv

That gosh-awful shield with the flag of Maryland in the center of the football field at the Raven's stadium. Too colorful, too big and a design that's way too busy! It's almost impossible to see the action while the play is on it. Was it a completion? A fumble? A loss of yardage? Who knows? The play-by-play announcers really come in handy at times like these. We certainly can't see what the heck is happening! Oh how I long for the days when the big winged Raven emblem was there...all alone. :wuzrobbed

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have quite a few (too many to list?- LOL)

People leaving a tap partially running after they are done washing their hands (usually in a rest room) and leaving, thus wasting water for I don't know how long.
People leaving their dirty hand soap on the bathroom tap, for others to clean before others wash their hands.

Many drivers in Phoenix who -
don't use their blinkers before changing lanes/
tailgate/
get in a lane in the opposite direction to the traffic/
honk at others who are following the traffic rules (e.g. stopping on red light)/
showing fingers or making other gestures because somehow the driver in front of them is not moving fast enough (and other lanes are empty for them to move into)/
not stopping at a stop sign, and squeezing past me to create a second lane where there was just one lane before.
Speeding up to pass me after I give a lane change signal

(Sorry this is so long and complicated, but this thread gave me an opportunity to vent)

Some actually try to be nice, and they wait for me to make a left turn instead of allowing me to wait. Their stopping for me creates danger because the drivers in the other (parallel) lanes don't see me.

Calling me Mrs.
Calling me Ms.xxx when my signature clearly says 'Dr.'xxx
A salesman calling me sweety, dear, etc. However, I don't have that reaction when a woman calls me that.

FS commentators talking incessantly about things that are unrelated to what's happening on the ice.

LOUD noise

Not picking up their used tissue, etc. at the gym, and leaving the dirty tissue on the equipment

Not returning shopping carts to where they belong, and leaving them in places where other cars need to park.

leesaleesa

People who are always late. Like 2 hours or more. I had so many in my social circle that Im now down to socializing with the deli guy at Publix, several cats, and one unusual wood stork. They are always timely.

I don't care if it's natural, but there is one woman at work who always decides to take the poop from hell when I am in the restroom for non poop activities. Why can't this woman poop at home or go over to the restrooms at a nearby park like normal people do? My god it is foul.

Finally, I cannot abide people who insist on taking pictures of your food at restaurants. All the facebooking and instagramming I cannot tolerate. See, technology has driven me to befriend wild birds and cat colonies.

Johnny_Fever

I don't care if it's natural, but there is one woman at work who always decides to take the poop from hell when I am in the restroom for non poop activities. Why can't this woman poop at home or go over to the restrooms at a nearby park like normal people do? My god it is foul.
Guys who sit on the john for 20 minutes at a time. Take your afternoon Siesta someplace else. You're cramping my style.

judiz

My coworker who at this moment is carrying on about her boyfriend who wants to break up with her and can't understand why. Duh, maybe because you are annoying and stalking him.

Sorry wrong thread

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
obnoxious, supercilious people who are vocabulary or grammar nazi's on an international message board.....really? Grow up.

People dissing on my "biggest little city"; I LOVE where I live, and everything around us. You don't like it, you haven't been out and about enough, or you're just a grump.

Tardiness. I'm like my dad in this, and maybe it was us both being in the military. While I don't take things personally (because really, who needs that? it's like seeking to be offended), I think tardiness is a disrespect of ME and MY time. (especially at work when I have been there 13 hours and am wanting to get home to bed)

People who are mean to other people, children, and especially animals. Does that make YOU a big, important person? Whatever.

People bringing politics, religion, or squicky personal life details out at work. Again, maybe it is the reserved and regimented military background, or maybe it's just being a grownup! ;) But in my mind, those things just don't belong there.

Bad drivers, bad language in public, and bad breath at any time! ;) Gum or mints are cheap, folks!

The stench of cigarettes. I'm allergic to smoke, which causes issues when we have wildfires in the area; I get wickedly nauseated and break out in hives. So when I am taking an elevator and a heavy smoker gets in, it makes me queasy. They may be a wonderful person, and I don't judge the person based on their habit, it just makes me physically ill to be around it.

PDilemma

:rolleyes:
People who are always late. Like 2 hours or more. I had so many in my social circle that Im now down to socializing with the deli guy at Publix, several cats, and one unusual wood stork. They are always timely.

Finally, I cannot abide people who insist on taking pictures of your food at restaurants. All the facebooking and instagramming I cannot tolerate. See, technology has driven me to befriend wild birds and cat colonies.

Where exactly do you work that leaving just to poop is acceptable?

And how do you expect people to schedule their bowels to suit you?

leesaleesa

Where exactly do you work that leaving just to poop is acceptable?

And how do you expect people to schedule their bowels to suit you?

oh for Christ sake. It's a thread about what your pet peeves are. I didn't say anyone actually had to check with me to take a shit. Don't twist your pearls so much. They'll break and you'll be like Jami Gertz picking them up and such.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
obnoxious, supercilious people who are vocabulary or grammar nazi's on an international message board.....really? Grow up.

Especially when said people have grammatical or spelling errors in their own posts. ;)

Caucasians who use chopsticks at Chinese restaurants. Get a life. Pick up the frickin' fork.

Huh? I'm quite competent with a pair of chopsticks, thankyou. And nine times out of ten, you have to ask for a fork.

I have a new one: people who have conversations at normal volume on a long-haul flight when it is exceedingly obvious that the rows around them are asleep (or trying to be so). For heaven's sake, at least whisper, please! Then at least I don't have to be woken up by your conspiracy theories!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information