What’s in store for Orser in the next quadrennial?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lowtherlore, Sep 1, 2010.

1. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Since there is a thread for speculating on what’s next (new coach, etc.) for Yu-Na, what would be the things in store for Orser until Sochi?

- Will he become Mao’s coach eventually;
    - Will he be coaching some newcomers, but not Mao;
    - Will he be directing IMG shows in Japan;
    - Are they going to dump him somewhere down the road, with their needs already served by him separating Yu-Na from his team (count the dressmaker too).

Looking back at the incident of the past week:
    - He gave Yu-Na a blitz.
    - He said he was let go out of the blue without proper reasons. Yu-Na told differently, that everyone involved had been aware of the situation. Adam Rippon said, “we've known about the situation longer than the general public, and we've had time to deal with it." Tony Wheeler’s blog post also mentioned the similar thing.
    - He went on to disclose her music without discussion or consent.

Was he simply mad since, like his words, he felt disrespected by the mom’s sudden notice without giving a proper chance for him to rearrange his plans? Or were there opportunities presented to him, the kind that is big enough for him to dump on Yu-Na so easily?

What are your thoughts on what’s next for Orser?

2. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Who is "they"?

Whatever happens down the road, I'm sure both Brian & Yuna will be fine.

3. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

edit, whatever

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Gao and Rippon will become his new top priorities, and he'll take on some younger students but not anyone of Mao caliber.

5. Judy

Judy New Member

I think if I were Mao I would be awfully interested. But if he turned them away at first there might be too much pride in returning to ask.

But wouldn't that make for an interesting worlds ..

6. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

He declined the first time Yuna's Mother asked him to be her coach!.... so?

7. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Why would Mao be interested in Orser? If she really want to live in oversea, she should go back to Artunian. He was magical with her.

Mao said she does NOT like living abroad... so I don't see how she could be interested in Orser...

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Who know about next year, but I see several Canadian champions in his future.

His jump technique was phenomenal as an amateur skater, so I would love to see him develop a skater from kindergarten age up.

9. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I doubt that Orser will be dumped. From what I've read and heard, he isn't that naive. I wouldn't be surprised if he had secured a deal where he would get considerable political support for his pupils as well as receive 30% of his their income like he told the media.
    I also speculate that he will take a couple of new pupils, Kozuka and Murakami most likely, since neither Gao and Rippon are world champion materials and Orser is in need of a opportunity to prove that he is capable of consistently turning prospects into champions and his success with Yuna wasn't a fluke.

Though I don't expect to see it happening soon, I hope Orser ends up working with Asada eventually. It would be a perfect match. If everything works out, Orser could show what a capable coach he is by fixing Asada's jumps and Asada may convince her doubters that she was screwed of her OGM by Tarasova's bad coaching and choreography.

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Rippon will be US Champ probably and maybe a world medalitst

11. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Gao looks promising. Her body type is similar to Yu-Na’s and she has great jumps except for the flutzing issue. It would be interesting to watch how she develop in the senior rank, and how she measure up to the current top skaters, and eventually to Yu-Na as it looks like now she’s sincere in continuing.

12. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Orser has been saying that he turned it down immediately. But reading into his earlier email message to Yu-Na, the one he showed to a Korean media and to Philip Hersh, it didn’t look like he turned it down right away. Why would he do that for? He sounded like he was weighing the options, implying there were some talks from Mao’s side on hiring not only him but the whole team.

In the email Orser mentioned his loyalty was to Yu-Na, but she might have interpreted the whole thing that his mind was leaning to the other side, which is bigger and richer with a pipeline of more skaters, and might have felt that she was told to hit the road.

During the split, in some aspects Orser may have acted out of frustration that he didn’t get to coach Mao after all these “flattering interests from Mao”, when he realized in that process Yu-Na was leaving as well. However, it is more likely that Orser has already been given a well-padded package in line with those given to their former Russian coaches, given the decisive and seemingly premeditated manner with which he handled this split. He burned the bridges from shore to shore with his acts and words. It seems Yu-Na wanted the Cricket Club to be the home for her and the junior skaters she has been supporting, but unfortunately it didn’t go that way for her.

Anyway, I think it’s entirely possible that Orser become Mao’s coach sometime in the future, if their needs match.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

He will make Rippon the World Champion :cool:

14. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I'm curious how you know this. I don't have any particular emotional investment in them, but I think they are already very good, and potentially outstanding in the future.

See my comments above. I think he already has (at least) two candidates for that. He doesn't need to import additional skaters.

On a side note, I would like to see him do more work with Canadian skaters. Perhaps he hasn't been asked, or perhaps he's doing work with younger Canadian skaters that isn't as publicized as the work with his top names.

15. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

But it is conceivable Orser could become the main coach for competitions a la TAT, with Mao staying in Japan most of the year working with a domestic technical coach.

I don’t know how good a technical coach Orser would make, as Yu-Na didn’t pick up any new tricks with him, although it is not fair to judge him based on only that, given that she was already technically proficient when she met him and then was plagued by injuries in the earlier part of her senior career. But the decision to change her 3-3 going into the Olympic season to a lutz-toe combo was Yu-Na’s own initiative. How Rippon and Gao improve in the coming season would give a better indication.

16. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I agree with you. They are outstanding young prospects, and can only improve barring injuries (and the monster's visit).

17. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

After returning from the Torino Worlds, Mao immediately announced to the Japanese media that she would search for a coach who is in Japan. When the rumor about Orser rose up, her agent and she immediately clearly deniad it. Mao's words have been totally simple, but quite consistent from the beginning to the end. Each time she was asked, she said she was searching for a Japanese coach.
    She has never hinted any possibility of considering a foreigh coach, or possibility of training abroad.

If she had ever considered a foreign coach, had ever considered training abroad, she could have widened the range of candidates, both in Japan and in foreign countries, and probably had found one by now. But she couldn't. It's because she limited her training base only in Japan, exclusively in Nagoya and limited her coach only as one who can speak Japanese. These limitations give her difficulties in finding a coach so far.

I know some people won't still give up on dragging her into Yuna-Orser spilt and trying to make her look guilty and putting blame on her. They are enormously unbelievably persistent.

18. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

galaxy, Say cheese! or kimchi!

I mean take it easy!! Your post may cause another 1,000 repls... Just cooled down! ;)

Back to the topic, Rippon & Gao both are good to fill the absence of Yu-Na.

19. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

ITA. Mao was able to come back after a very hard season andwin the WCH again, no matter how crappy people thought her music/costume/choreography was. She is a lovely skater, she will be fine - as will be orser. He has two young talents now, he'll have his time donated to improve their skills.

20. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Not to mention utterly annoying....

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  21. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

From your fingers to God's brain. I dare not articulate anything of the sort. I'm superstitious. :watch:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I don't want to tempt the skating gods either, but I would love to see this happen! :encore:

23. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Political support? Isn't that one of the main complaints about figure skating?

24. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

As long as Jeremy Abbott gets there first. ;)

flutzilla1, venja, Cheylana and 3 others like this.
  25. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Nothing against that, either. And sorry all you who believe in skating Gods. I just don´t, so I´ll say what I hope to happen. No offence to you, but feel free to :lynch: me.

26. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:encore::saint::respec::D

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Rippon and Gao medaling at Worlds THIS SEASON :D

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think *any* coach being able to strike this sort of political "deal" - or at least making it stick over the long term - is highly unlikely.

And I don't recall him saying that he had struck this sort of % deal with his current students. IIRC what he said was that it was common for coaches to get a % of their students' overall earnings, and that he did not have that kind of deal with Team Yu-Na. He didn't say he had that sort of deal with all his students except for her.

29. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

No coach with right mind would sign on 'percentage of earnings' type of deal with unproven student. I imagine most coaches would make less with such deal.

30. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

The deal that was being discussed here, was in comparing Brian's straight hourly rate to the ( greater) hourly rate Plus a percentage of earnings charged by many top coaches.
    Not either / or.