Were the Plane Crashed in 1961,what is it today?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I was reading in Frozen in Time that the Plane Crashed in a Cabbage Field somewhere in Belgium (LOL,or whatever it's called now). I was wondering if we have any known History on what that puticular Field in now? Does anyone know? Thanks

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Belgium is still Belgium.

There is a memorial marker in the town nearest to the crash site, but I don't think it's on the actual site.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I don't know about that field today, but here's information about the memorial in Belgium.

From http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?sid=18817
    Photos: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?cat=7&id=206&sid=18818

4. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I'm starting to think that you are sort of obsessed with this particular flight.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Hey,thanks for the pics!!!! It would be great if we could actually find out what that actual spot is today. If it's still a Field,if it's still a Farm,etc.

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

7. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it obsession unless the person is losing sleep over it, not living a normal life over it, etc.

Lots of people are curious about tragic events and really get into it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The Titanic tragedy to this day remains a fascinating bit of history for thousands around the world. My late grandmother first told me about it when we watched the Titanic movie from the '50s, "A Night to Remember" on television. I was just 9 or so at the time but I've been intrigued by the Titanic tragedy ever since. I've read all I could find on it. One day I'd like to visit one of the museums that hold relics from the fated voyage.

For my part, ever since I first heard about the hauntingly tragic 1961 plane crash I've wanted to know more about it. I've tried to read as much material as I could find on it. I've watched the videos of the '61 Nationals wondering what might have been at the '64 Olympics had those star-crossed skaters lived. I'm happy the "Rise" film came out and a whole new generation is learning about them.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

deleted post

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's still a field today.

I once taught an esl class to airport staff and the crash surprisingly came up in conversation one day and some of the older guys remembered the crash from childhood. I'm pretty sure they said it was an asparagus field and still is today, although I never went to check it out, so I don't know for sure.

10. blueiis0112

blueiis0112 New Member

The monument is at the GPS 50º55’15.46”N 4º31’36.86E. Google Earth will take you right to it, which is where these coordinates come from. It is in in a town called Lemmeke, Belgium which is SW of Berg which is SW of Kampenhout. It is just east of a forest. I read somewhere that for years after the crash as people built foundations for new homes in the area, they would sift through the earth looking for debris items. There was a local collecting reminants such as personal items (wallets, passports, purses, clothes, etc) and airline articles (food plates, toilet supplies, etc.) in case the USFSA asked for things to send back to the families or Sabena. The FAA was not salvaging wreckage at that time because they did not think that they had the technology or education to piece together the plane and determine the cause of the crash. They went by eye-witness accounts of its struggle.

11. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Are we saying that,THAT'S what the Field the Plane crashed in...is today?....A bunch of Homes were built on it? BTW. anyone know what songs the Skaters skated to for BOTH their Short/Long Programs? Is it possible to get them on CD.? BTW. did Skaters use music when doing School Figures?

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Figures were never done to music.