Well...

Discussion in 'Board Business' started by Server Guy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Early this morning, I took the site down to carry out the migration process from vBulletin to XenForo. It's been in the works for a while and would've brought about a horde of new features, improvements and performance enhancements.

As you can see however, it didn't go ahead. Towards the end of perhaps the second or third stage of around five, it was clear something was amiss. The second and third stages of the process are when data is being crunched, manipulated and transferred in to a new, fresh database from the old one. After this process concluded, it would've been smooth sailing for the most part. However, it became evident that some data didn't make the jump, specifically from February 2014 onwards. I have spent probably the last hour investigating the cause of this and believe I have found it. The issue occurred with the way the current database was setup. No one's fault particularly but it was overlooked by me during initial testing.

As a result, I've had to rollback to vBulletin and it's still exactly the same as it was when I took it down at around 5:20AM BST. The new migration date is yet to be decided but will likely take place in the next few days.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Second time lucky!
    Vash01, SHARPIE, Meredith and 9 others like this.
  2. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

No worries SG - Take it easy and come back for round 2 :D
  3. MNC

MNC Bringer of Ice Cream

vB is a big ancient monster, so don't worry - get decisive! :argue::lynch:
  4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Server Guy, you're doing a great job. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get the kinks out but it's worth the wait. Thank you for what you've accomplished so far! :40beers:
  5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

last ditch rep spree! :D

thx for the update and all your work SG :cheer2:
  6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Sorry you had trouble. When I came to the site this afternoon, my first thought was, "Wow, they REALLY managed to duplicate the look and feel of the old website." And then a minute later realized that we were still on vBulletin.

Good luck!
  7. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Thanks for the hard work!
  8. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Gave me a giggle. ;)

Thanks for the support and positive comments made via rep, appreciate it. I'll hit it harder on the second go. :D
    misskarne, LadyNit, halffull and 7 others like this.
  9. halffull

halffull Loving my peaceful world!!

These things happen Server Guy, no worries :) It will happen as it's meant to so don't sweat it!
  10. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Server Guy.
    Bummer. These things have a mind of their own sometimes. At least I don't have to learn new stuff this week
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Good luck! As a software developer, some of my least favorite tasks have been data migration. 'Interesting' stuff always happen.

Thanks for the hard work!
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you ran into problems, SG. Don't worry. I can wait patiently until they get fixed. Thanks for all the hard work.
  13. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Good luck with figuring it all out!
  14. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I was wondering--was without power here for about 14-15 hours, come on in and it all looked the same. Cue twilight zone music! ;)
    mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.