Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 8, 2011.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

To be honest, my favorite programs and skating in general happened during his time with Priscilla. That also happened to be the period of the most wins and placements in his career.

I shared Johnny's incredulity at Galina's statement that his jump technique was incorrect and needed reworking. Johnny's jumps were always gorgeous, easy, airy with lovely smooth runouts. I've been saying this for years. He knew it because that's what went through his mind when he heard this from Galina. But being infatuated with the Russian style of coaching (which is superb), he let her have free reign.

The best quality about Johnny's skating IMO is his natural easy, flowing quality, untainted by the wishes of others (more masculine, less ballerina) or by his own Lady Gaga fancies.

Having said that, I do think he wuzrobbed on many occasions late his career and it was political. In the book he does address his disappointment and even bitterness (and who wouldn't be bitter?) but ultimately comes to an acceptance and a more mature outlook.

2. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I am one of the group who doesn't think Johnny was robbed of anything. I think he underperformed for a lot of reasons. However, I would like to see him work with a coach who both embraced his natural qualities and had the technical expertise to fix only what needed fixing. I think he may have farther to go but not with Galina. I truly don't need to see Lady Gaga on ice but I do think those wonderful lyrical qualities should be leveraged as strengths not weaknesses and combined with the solid jumps he had. He could still do something very special that he hasn't done yet but not with her. Butching Johnny up isn't a necessary approach or a wise expenditure of time. Taking his naturally terrific qualities and building interesting programs (with transitions even!) around them might tap his inner energy and drive to compete more effectively if competition is what he wants. Asking him to work against himself isn't honoring who he is and that is just an energy/soul drain. I am finding it confusing that he would choose to go back to a coach who didn't respect him as he is - why would anyone want that? He can do better than that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

ITA with all of the above.

4. REO

REO New Member

I think the reason she tried to butch him up was because they did think he ws getting marked down unfairly, however, I agree totally with the rest of your post. For one thing Johnny's biggest problem has always been his head and trying to make him something he's not messes with his head and makes it hard for him to be the free flying skater he was in Dr. Z.. He skates for the emotional jag and changing his techniques so that he has to concentrate on that too much is counterproductive.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I really would have liked to see him do a full David Wilson program. At the time, it seemed like a match made in heaven. I was really surprised to hear that the program had been watered down so much; why did they hire him in the first place? They had to know what his choreography was like, and been willing to pay what is likely a very high price for it.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He was having trouble landing his 3A when Zmievskaya changed it, and from his book, he sounded like his confidence was rattled. Of course it was even more so once she changed it, and he confined to fall consistently trying the new technique.

She didn't take something he was landing consistently and mash it up for change's sake.

7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

This was played out in an episode of BGJW. I just saw the replay of the episode last week. It showed Johnny and David putting together his programs. David and Johnny were very pleased. David said they had "put the Johnny back in Johnny". Then, Johnny showed the programs to Galina and she bashed them. Johnny specifically said that he could not win against Galina. He was thrilled he got the costumes he wanted. He declared that a small victory. Its really too bad that David couldn't come to New Jersey and help. It seemed like everyone is ascared of Galina.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.