Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 8, 2011.

1. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Its a shame that the two couldn't come together to train him because he clearly needs the discipline of a Galina, but she apparently knows squat about the technical aspects and did more harm than good in that department.

2. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I remember it well. And most of us just dismissed it with a shrug and an "Well, he's French! What can you expect?"

Stannick had a couple of - odd - costumes, didn't he? But at least he wore them with a sense of humor, IIRC. He always seemed to be grinning along with the audience as if he was thinking "Sure I look silly but, hey, I got you to watch me, didn't I?" I never had the feeling that he expected anyone to take the outfits seriously.

Whereas Johnny....???

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

You wonder? Honestly, based on reviews I don't think this book was ever entended as a "balanced, unbiased" review of his life. (That would require a 3rd party writer)

This book, like most autobiography's is "my view of what happened" and they are generally written to make the "author" look good. Nothing wrong with that, but the reader must remember that.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Have you ever read an autobiography before? Yes, there are ways to make the person in question look good. However, in the second part of the book, that's exactly what is NOT happening.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Or another way of looking at it is that the author is not a mind-reader, and if the other party wants people to know what s/he thinks/feels, the best way is to tell people her/himself.

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

My understanding was that Victor took care of the technical aspects. So did what Johnny said about Galina mean she not likely to continue as his coach?

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

From what I've heard on the internet, Johnny is planning on resuming training with both Galina and Viktor upon his return from Russia.

8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I agree, Johnny went to Galina wanting only someone who would kick his butt and make him practice and focus, instead he wound up with someone who tore apart everything he had been taught about skating. Johnny was so convinced that Galina could turn him back into a champion, he agreed to do everything she said, no questions asked and no debate.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I finished the book. I relived the robbery in Vancouver learned a few more details about the federation giving Johnny the finger.

Overall, while there were parts about the narrative that were annoying, I am glad I bought and read it. I agree that Johnny with his quirks and sensitivities really is an artist.

Whoever it was, Galina or Viktor, someone dropped the ball.

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Johnny, maybe?

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Was it really his job to pore over CoP and figure out strategy? Or his coaches'? I'd say his job was to train and to skate.

12. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Oh, yes, we met at that SA, didn't we? I remember looking for your green coat :). It was sort of the same shade as that costume. :p

I always enjoyed Stannick. But that was quite an introduction. :lol:

13. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Surely a skater needs to know CoP and strategy as well? THey need to know what to do or how to respond in different situations. They need to know what to do, the positions to hit and the rotations to make, to get those levels. I'd be :confused: by any skater at that level who wasn't involved in that process.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  14. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Of course it's his job. I'm astonished anyone thinks differently. But, hey, YMOV

15. Prancer

I think that the coach and choreographer need to design programs that let a skater maximize COP, and that's their job.

But ITA that skaters need to understand it all as well, so that when they miss an element and want to make it up, they know not to do something like, oh, repeat a jump three times.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

What Prancer said. :p

17. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Are you speaking of Oda? :p

18. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Absolutely. And when the choreographer designs a program to maximize CoP it's up to the coach and skater not to change or dilute it.:D

19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Exactly. Or do too few combos, which Johnny did several times.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Or perhaps it's more accurate to say "certain people within the federation."

21. antmanb

On this occasion I don't think so. Before Galina/Viktor he had beautiful light airy jumps, one of the best triple axels of the entire men's field - a beautiful in air position and soft flowing landings. After he moved to Galina/Viktor some of the good qualities of his jumps went. Looking at his triple axel - the air position seemed different and it looked much more laboured. Did we even see any more quads in practice? I think Galina took a hold of his training and made him do everything she wanted. He decided that unlike with Priscilla he would do everything she said and gave himself completely to her training plan....and it didn't work out. If I were Johnny wanting to return i'd be looking for a new coach....or take the discipline learnt under Galina and take it back to priscilla.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Snowgirl

Snowgirl New Member

He surely practiced quads with Galina and tried it in competition. He got them DGed so it was not worth an effort. Maybe with new rules he could get < and not << and more points for it.
    As for his 3A, in season 2006-2007 Johnny had a lot of trouble with it. After he changed to Galina his axel became different, but Johnny's body changed too. He became a bit bigger than he was 19-20 years old. So maybe it required some change in technique to get the consistency back.

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

They showed Johnny practicing quads on BGJW and Galina even said she was going to make him practice until he got it right but I don't recall him doing any in competition since Skate America.

Returning to Priscilla is not an option, Johnny just bought the condo in New York City and somehow I don't see him moving back home to his parents' house in Delaware.

24. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl New Member

I think those are really good points. People who are nostalgic about the Priscilla years forget about the 2006-07 season and the trouble Johnny was having. Part of his issues were probably mental, but maybe his technique really did need fixing, and maybe a combination of his stubbornness and Priscilla's lack of toughness just didn't work. Or maybe Priscilla just didn't know how to help him fix his technique. Galina's idea of good technique is obviously different from Johnny's natural technique. She didn't see what he was doing before as proper technique, and maybe she figured that if it was more "skating by numbers, 1-2-3," his jumps would be more reliable. And reliable--not beauty-- is what you need to win. (I do love the beauty of his skating, though. I'd rather see that than even just one quad.)
    Also in Galina's defense, I got the sense that she didn't remove elements from his programs so much as take some of the personality out of David Wilson's choreography. (She's always after Johnny to be more masculine.) I think it was Johnny who removed elements, on the spot. He's been known to start improvising-- removing second jumps from would-be combinations, doing doubles instead of triples, etc--when he's not feeling confident. That costs him.

25. Prancer

He is kind of famous for being THE example of screwing yourself over under CoP in that way. It's kinda funny. Unless you happen to be Oda. Or Oda's coach.

I don't understand her thinking there, but whatever. I can barely skate, much less coach world-class skaters.

26. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Why was such an antagonistic title selected for his book? Welcome--really? No one is obligated to deal with or spend their energy dealing with HIS world. Presumptuous and
    arrogant imo.

27. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

At sometime during the last season the coverage I was watching had David Wilson guest commentating. When it came time to Weirs FS the criticism came up that it was lacking in the choreography department. I don't even know where to find it so I'm clearly going from memory here so people can take that for what it's worth but the bottom line was Wilson indicated that was NOT the program he choreographed. That typically skaters meet with their choreographer throughout the season to tweak things here and there or whatever. The program was made with Johnny and then there was pretty much no contact or collaboration going into the season. That it was a physically demanding program for Johnny. But I would also make clear that Wilson didn't gossip about him unkindly (don't want to give that impression). My impression was he really enjoyed working with Johnny and was really excited about this program (felt it really showed his personality and journey) but was just putting it on the table that the program being criticized was not his work. My impression at the time is that Johnny has the same problem as Joubert, they aren't conditioned well enough to get through a CoP friendly choreographed program. I think they need to take some responsibility for that.

But I can also see Galina removing things she didn't like or stripping things down because she knows her skater isn't fit enough to get through it and land those elements. I saw a few outtakes on youtube once of his reality show. One of those outtakes had Johnny with his costume maker at the rink showing Galina his costume for this FS and she didn't like it. Johnny turned to the costume maker and said they'd have to start again. I find that interesting NOW because of the admission he faked illness to get out of a GP once because USFSA officials didn't like his costume. He certainly listened when Galina spoke though. How much of that was discipline I don't know because it was also mentioned it an outtake that popped up after that he was contracted to be with Galina until 2010. So from that I gather when he moved to Galina he had to sign a contract that they would work together til the 2010 Olympics so perhaps there was also a "her way or the highway" clause in there ;)

28. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

:lol: <---because I assume you are joking ;)

29. antmanb

:confused:

30. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I just assumed he was being sarcastic towards people posting about this book that aren't fans. If not :confused:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.