Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

He didn't actually say this did he? (Never mind - I know he did I am just shocked!) Every time I open this train wreck I think "it can't shock me" and it does. Johnny Weir, Great Skater and Petty Thief! What a combo! :eek:

Has this book REALLY made anyone who read it (and I admit I am not one who has read it) think "better" of him? Once again I am saddened by the fact that the "team" around him so seems to be giving him NO good advice about his image, career etc.... Hopefully I am wrong and 10 years from now there won't be a "whatever happened to Johnny Weir" thread? (or worse....) but.. I am losing hope! I don't see anything he's doing now contributing to a long term image that will hold him in good stead. (And had his editor ever heard of "fact checking" and calling him on it? Or did they not want to invest that type of money in him?)

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In the end, he's the one responsible for what he says and does. If anything, my guess is that his team and circle are feeding the fires, not tempering them.

3. Carolla5501

That's what worries me! Someone needs to be able to say "here are the potential downsides" and based on what I have seen of his agent... that's not happening! Doesn't sound like anyone else is doing it either :(

4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Johnny doesn't seem to accept criticism of any type. So why would he listen to his inner circle anyway, if they criticized him to begin with?

In my interview with Tara Modlin, I asked her if her clients always listen to her advice, and she flat out said that some of them don't. So it's possible that she did put in her .02, but Johnny ignored her. We'll never know.

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I said it before and I'll say it again....he's the one who's going to have to live with these decisions he's making in his unseasoned and tempestuous 20s when he's 40, not any of us. Maybe they'll work out for him, maybe they won't. But they're his decisions to live with.

And I'll say this again....thank GAWD the Interwebz wasn't around very much when I was in my 20s. :lol:

6. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Thank God for Johnny it is, without it he'd be forgotten by now.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't see it at all. His shtick leaves me cold. Usually, for me, he's the worst part of any movie he's in.

(Sorry for being off-topic!)

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

She wasn't scheduled to dance for another 4-5 hours.

She might have. But she had danced a very strenuous Balanchine ballet about 30 minutes before, and although she might have chowed a power bar or a chocolate cheesecake right after the ballet, I wouldn't count on it. Ballerinas are frequently quoted about living on coffee and cigarettes.

About Weir and the hotel, I'd never been to that one at the time he was there, but he's described himself over the years about being a neat freak, and he wouldn't be the first person to walk into a hotel room that feels damp or dirty and has wanted to scream.

9. portia

portia New Member

Generally, ballet dancers don't eat for at least 6-8 hours before their performances. They'll snack on things like chocolate, nuts, or fruits, but they won't eat full meals. People have to remember that dancers just don't go on stage and dance. There are lots of preparations like stretching, last minute rehearsals, and costume fittings before the performances. As for after performances, your muscles and ligaments are so stretched and tired, that I doubt you'd want to chomp down on a full meal. I remember all I wanted to do was sleep after a performance, not eat. Dancers are very hard on their own performances, they always go through their performances in their heads afterwards and are usually in a zone still. Ballet is just as demanding as sports.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's what's amazing about how they can go on. They start with class, they have a full day of rehearsals and/or their matinee performance prep, they have rehearsals before their evening performance, sometimes behind the curtain up to the minute of the performance, and then they perform at night. At NYCB, as a corps or featured dancer, especially as injuries pile up towards the end of the season, might dance in 2 or 3 of 3 ballets, and twice a day on Saturdays. (It used to be Sundays, too, until they went down to a late matinee only.) Yet they survive on very little, because it's always six hours before a performance.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  11. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Tara Modlin is loving all the attention that being Johnny's agent has garnered her, especially from her appearances on his show. They have a very unusual agent-athlete relationship that seems more like a best friend type of thing.

I don't think Johnny is really someone who would tolerate dissenting opinions or a Devil's advocate in his inner circle. He seems to need cheerleaders around him at all times, not anyone who's going to put him in his place. This goes for his agent, his friends and his mother.

12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

This thread is on 31 pages and counting. I think that Johnny is popular.

13. Carolla5501

yes, but if you are like most of us... even if you said these things how many people would really care???

That's the problem ... most of us can "forget" our errors. If you make them in a book that gets published it's hard to "forget" :lol:

(And lenght of thread and "popularity" are not a proven correlation on FSU. Have you ever read the Mira Lueng threads... VERY long, not much "love" there IMHO!)

14. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I meant popular as in a popular topic (hot topic), not necessarily that everybody who posts loves him.

In other words, love him or hate him (or in between), this guy invites attention.

15. Southpaw

Exactly. My friend pulled out some old emails I had written when I was about 26. :yikes: Holy cripes, the stoopid things that I thought were So Important :drama: and worthy of analysis back then. :lol: Thank GAWD there is only a witness of one today and those emails are hidden in a box in the attic.

A 40 year-old guy I know was telling me about how he was at a party full of 20-somethings recently, and he had mentioned about how obnoxious all the 25 year-old guys were because, as he put it "That's the age when male dickheadedness is at its absolute zenith."

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Notorious would be a better word :shuffle:.

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm 26 and I think Johnny is a brat. :lol: Then again people have always mistaken me to be 5 years older than I really am. :p

And even in my :drama: teens I usually kept bratty thoughts to myself! I'm :eek: that Johnny would think airing it out in a book was the right thing to do. Bleck.

18. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Active Member

19. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm tragically depressed that I missed Johnny's book signing... or not.

20. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I absolutely love how Johnny looks with the curly hair and the glasses in those pictures with Tanith. That "geek chic" thing really works for him.

21. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Worse than Andie McDowell in Four Weddings and a Funeral? :eek:

Beefcake likes this.
  22. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

No kidding! I live next door to a principal dancer in a major US company and we are friendly. I've seen the inside of her fridge a couple of times: leaves, greek yogurt and many many bottles of wine and always a lot of excuses and attempts to hide how little she eats. She doesn't :smokin: but her body is :smokin:... no idea how she subsists. As a principal with only lead roles, she does daily class and rehearsals but only performs every other day or every third day during a performance week or in "Nutcracker month" (she was alternating between the Sugarplum and the Dew Drop last month but never performed on consecutive days.) The cast in the leads always alternates (not sure if this is true of all major companies but I would assume so...). it's the poor corps that have to dance every performance!

Anyway, I was a big Johnny fan in the day, adored his skating in the 2001-2006 era and even loved the reality show. But now that I've finished the book and I'm a few days removed from it, I realize it's done a lot to alienate me.

I think the biggest issue is that Johnny disses on things like his lodgings in Lake Placid, while I'm thinking "Huh? That a place I thought was perfectly good enough for me...". Or he's dismissive of other skaters who aren't at his level while I'm thinking "Hmmm, those are skaters who happen to have many good qualities and I've enjoyed watching as much as you, even if they aren't National Champion material..."

As he did this he was little by little alienating me with his shallow judgment. It's never what you say, it's how you say it and the context in which you place it. Either Johnny did not get good advice, or this is just another manifestation of him doing it "his way" and not caring who he offends or what they think, no matter the consequences. I hope he doesn't regret writing this book in 10 years because I'm guessing he'll be viewing things with a much more mature lens (as most of us do) as he gets into his 30s and 40s.

Here's a couple of examples:

On Art Devlin's Motor Inn in a chapter called "Embracing the Starving Artist" about starting over after his disastrous 2002-2003 season, Johnny wrote:

"My motel, little more than polyester bedspreads and ugly carpeting, provided no comfort. This wasn't the official hotel of the sectionals where all the other skaters were staying. No, that was down the street and more than I could afford. I had to settle for serial killer lodging. Wrapping myself up in my own sheet so that I wouldn't have to touch the dubious bedding, I took solace in my thriftiness and hoped the this Starving Artist might get at least a few hours of sleep." (Without invoking Hugh Grant or prostitutes, I'll just say that that description is really doing a disservice to Art Devlin's wonderful motel, which also is rated by travelers on TripAdvisor as #1 out of 32 in business class hotels in Lake Placid.)

It's especially pathetic when you put it in context. Earlier in the chapter he's going on about how Tarasova waived her double-digit thousand fees to train him for free because he "didn't have a penny to my name" and how he's "wearing his poverty as a badge of a prideful club." To sum up the chapter, he wholeheartedly embraces the "starving artist" label because he didn't merit a spot on the tours and the federation had cut off his funding (and his benefactors died or gave up on him. ;)) Instead of describing any gratitude for any opportunities he's now being given to re-prove himself after lying, slacking and screwing up royally the previous season (by his own admission) he describes things he's forced to do as humiliating and punches the starving artist image in the gut with distain. It all felt very hypocritical and/or disingenuous.

In the same chapter, on having to compete at the Liberty Open he says:

"The other low-ranked senior level skaters with no chance at a national title sneaked furtive glances in my direction.

Those other skaters included Scott Smith, who had just finished 4th at Nationals - higher than Johnny had ever finished in his two senior nationals - and showed up landing a quad sal - when Johnny wasn't even attempting a quad in competition yet. :blah:

He also liked writing: After the announcer unceremoniously called my name.... Well I posted the video link earlier, you can judge for yourself if it was unceremonious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8weRNM2ENo But if you look at that point in his career, what did he do to deserve some sort of special announcement? Win World Juniors? Derrick Delmore, 1998 WJC and also someone with a quad sal (that he had landed in international competition) was in the field too. ;)

Oh, my spoiled little self-centered Johnny... :drama:

23. luCN

luCN New Member

BreakfastClub,I think Johnny wrote this book not as a autobiography,just a tool to get attentions,whether good or bad,just attentions and spotlights.&#9582;(&#9583;_&#9584;)&#9581;

The book is not write for the skating fans,but for those die-heart-never-mind-what-the-idol-do fans...They will love whatever he did,he said,he loved.

It doesn't bother me,I don't care what he is as a person.I just care about the skating part.

What made me uncomfortable is some "True Fans" become accepting no criticism of any type as him.If you say something true but not praise Johnny,you will be attacked hard.&#9582;(&#9583;_&#9584;)&#9581;

24. sjs5572

sjs5572 Member

delete

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Didn't see it. But he was the weak link in an otherwise magnificent cast in Sense and Sensibility, I thought. At least Alan Rickman was there to make up for him. :D

26. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You should watch About a Boy. I would've given him an Oscar nod for it.

28. Southpaw

Yeah, I liked him in that.

29. Civic

Civic New Member

I think you may be confusing Hugh Grant with Hugh Laurie. The latter's father, Ran Laurie, won a gold medal in rowing at the 1948 Olympics.

30. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

While I still couldn't get my hand on a copy of the book, if this is true, I rather find it sad. Alex, after all those years, still managed to maintain a very professional, low-key and natural way of lifestyle, adored by many for his skating style and work, as well for his way of not getting involved in any kind of scandal or outragousness. So, looking at that, I think it was quite the opposite: Alex was way too good for Johnny.