Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 8, 2011.

1. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I remember that once Sasha Cohen described one of her favorite meals as "a Caesar salad with no dressing and no croutons." In other words, a bowl of lettuce.

2. ribbon

ribbon Member

I can understand Johnny not wanting to live in a small town (I too much prefer big cities, the bigger the better, and I would feel myself shrivel if I had to live in a tiny town!) but he was in Lake Placid for a competition! Surely he can handle two days in beautiful surroundings (the serial killer mountain town stuff is almost always just in movies, darling). Plus, Lake Placid has an amazing history for skaters and athletes in general. Seeing how Johnny is a two-time Olympian himself, I was surprised he was so anti Lake Placid for the event. And if he thinks his lodgings were bad, he should see some hostels I've stayed at. But, you know what, even though I have had crappy lodgings, I've found the positives or at least have told myself it is only temporary and become more grateful for what I do have. In both pieces published for free online, I have not seen much of this (aside from a line here or there in regards to a coach's words or a fan's behavior). It is a shame, since in person, he seems truly touched by kind words and not just expensive gifts. That's my big problem with the book - the tone of it has differed from what I've witnessed in person (well, both in person and in the book Johnny is always a tad too dramatic!) but I really hope the behavior I witness at shows is the truer picture of where his mind and heart are...seeing how these are the two excerpts published, I don't have much interest in buying the book, and as others have mentioned, the writing itself is not at all what I thought he was capable of...

And the line I think mmscfdcsu is referring to is: "The federation had cut off my official funding and anyone who had previously given me money had either died or decided I was washed up."

It does sound rather cold, although I think he just meant to state matter-of-factly that his benefactor had passed away. Just another example of atrocious writing...

3. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

That is it. A :confused: how could his agent think this was okay. I agree. Bad writing.

Perhaps Johnny is just frightened by small towns and too much woods. He wrote about that as a child. Being so frightened that he needed three nightlights and the radio on.:eek: Also the bit of sleeping with three knives by his bed on his first night alone in his first apartment! :confused: :eek:

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Nicely put! :)

5. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of Johnny's skating since 2001; I don't really know him as a person, other than what is shown in the media. One thing that has fascinated me is the success that he has achieved despite the fact that he didn't start skating until the age of 12. I find that pretty incredible and admire him for this.

I've never met him, but observed his interactions w/people at Nationals, etc. back in those days. At that time he seemed like a nice, respectful, and somewhat quiet kid; however, that was before he adopted his Johnny "persona" (the fur, being more outspoken in the media, etc.) So I'm not sure which is the real Johnny. Maybe he is some of both, and, if so, that's cool. The discussion here about the book makes him sound more self-centered/shallow than I thought he would be, I guess. I 'm sure I will read it, though. If he comes down to FL and does a book signing, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll request it from my library because I'm cheap like that. :)

6. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I find the Weiss comments interesting, because some of the more glowing, positive words I've ever heard about Michael Weiss as a person and competitor came from Johnny's mother. Granted it was a while ago, but well after Weiss already had some national championships and world medals under his belt. I guess the dynamics changed in years that followed.

7. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

LOL...That is classic. The funniest part about that is that she says it's one of her favorite meals. How can that be someone's favorite meal? Lettuce doesn't even taste like anything!

It is possible to train and not eat a lot. I have seen gymnasts go all day on a couple of carrots and a protein bar/breakfast bar, etc. The scary thing is that, in some of these cases, it was the coaches dictating their diets. This was years back; I could be wrong, but I don't think this type of thing is as prevalent these days (at least I hope not). Honestly I don't know how they did it (I couldn't have done it), but they did. But that's a whole 'nother topic...!

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Although she (and other ballerinas and skaters/gymnasts) may actually live on this type of meal (the stories in some gymnasts biographies are terrifying. Where does the energy come from?), I'm not sure you can judge what a performer eats when they are scheduled to dance that evening.

I don't eat more than a few almonds before a dance or skating performance, because I don't want food in my stomach.

A professional ballerina who is expected to look very very slight isn't going to want to be bloated for an evening show.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

yeah, there were only certain foods I could eat in the hours before performing. Very possible she had power bars or something similar to eat right before the show.

10. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Precisely. Sarah is most disappointing because of the Yale degree. But it's all pilates, Starbucks, etc.

I wonder if Johnny doesn't like Lake Placid because the place is literally infested with Olympians. It's one thing to be a small fish in a big pond, but Placid is like being a small fish in a small pond.

11. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Sarah recently came to my hometown to pitch in at a fundraiser for ALS and I know she's spent a lot of time helping out other charities. I guess for some reason she doesn't tweet about those activities.

12. Wyliefan

Sasha enjoyed steak and ice cream as well, or so she said. So she had that much going for her!

13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Same with breast cancer. I know she's involved in a lot of charity work, and it's certainly her prerogative to tweet what she likes. But I guess I just find her tweets a bit disappointing.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

As I recall, she was funded by the beef industry, so that might have had something to do with it.

15. Wyliefan

I know, but I'm hoping that translated to actually eating steak once in a while. :)

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I had lunch at the same resturant Sasha did last year before the Ladies Final in Spokane. While I did not walk over to her table and "examine" her food... it was food and she did eat it!

17. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's a small town thing, or a class issue. I remember reading an article on Hugh Grant once, and it talked about him coming from a middle-class background, but being obsessed with becoming upper class. The article quoted some of his college-mates from Oxford who said Grant only wanted to hang-out with students from the elite, and he would be more into upper-class pursuits them all of them combined. The desire to be all things rich and wealthy were depicted as shaping much of Grant's predilections, friends, and behavior.

It could be something similar with Weir. I believe Weir came from a rural, middle-class background. And IIRC, even at the Olympics Weir complained that his accommodations were not up to his standard. To me his comments quoted from his book were not dissimilar to people I know who are absolutely disgusted at the thought of staying in a *gasp* motel, or a less-than-4* hotel. Doesn't really matter if the place is in a rural area or not--it's the class associations of staying in a place "beneath" them.

So maybe Weir wants to be associated with what he perceives as upper class at this point, and has little tolerance for things/people he believes are below that standard. Maybe Weir is the Hugh Grant of the figure skating world :lol:.

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

getting arrested with a hooker would be an interesting post script to this book

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  19. agalisgv

Would be even better if the hooker was female and he decided to marry her :smokin:

20. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm going to call BS on this. I don't want to stay at lessor hotels because I don't want to deal with bugs and dirt and druggies, and I can afford to not have to. It has nothing to do with pretending I am upper class. If I can't afford to stay at the level of hotel that I want to, I don't go on the trip.

As for Weir's Olympic comments, I think he was out of his league there and trying to make (lame) excuses for his less than successful overall performace.

21. agalisgv

Why are you personalizing my comment about Hugh Grant and possibly Johnny Weir to you :huh:?

I was talking about a specific phenomenon of someone coming from a middle-class background aspiring to be all things upper class, and one way in which that is manifested is in disdain in certain housing arrangements. That's not to say everyone who chooses to stay in a particular hotel has upper-class aspirations :confused:.

22. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:confused: :confused: wtf?

I was pointing out that not everyone who avoids low class hotels does so because they are snobby or are pretending to be high class, and using myself as an example. I have no idea where you are coming from in this quoted post, or how Hugh Grant got into the conversation in my post, or how you could possibly think I have personalized what you are saying.

23. agalisgv

That didn't relate at all to the point I was making in the post you quoted, so it didn't make sense to me.
    Because the post you quoted from me was arguing for a possible parallel between Grant and Weir.

It appears there's some miscommunication happening ;).

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I wouldn't draw parallels between the two. Hugh Grant's dad was an Olympic gold medalist in rowing, and Grant has talked quite a bit about how he felt he had to strive upward, so to speak, to live up to what his dad had accomplished and to his dad's reputation. I don't see that as being similar to Weir's situation.

25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I don't tweet (yet), but why do these people find Starbucks so interesting? I don't get it.

26. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Aside from the :confused:, I don't understand why bugs and dirt and druggies have come up, as even Johnny didn't claim that the hotel in question was that bad, and everyone else has said that it's a regular, everyday hotel and not some sort of dump.

I don't think anyone expects Johnny to stay at a roach motel and like it; it's that people think he's sneering at a hotel just because it's not luxurious, which is not the same thing.

27. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Here's what he has to say about his reaction to his "mean accommodations" at the Olympic Village in Torino:

"I walked over to Priscilla's room to check out her living space, but when I arrived she was nowhere to be found. The building was empty since the women's skating team didn't arrive for another week and a half. So I started poking around and a light bulb went off in my head. I grabbed a bunch of fleece blankets, two lamps, a bedside table, and a few extra towels for good measure."

Nice. Never mind that this behaviour might inconvenience his coach or his fellow team members. It's all about Johnny and what he wants and needs. Because he's special. He's a star. He "deserves" it. :rolleyes:

28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Ouch!! Hugh Grant has evolved into a fine comedic actor and has oodles of charisma. Weir left his charisma on the ice, IMO.

29. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. I like a nice hotel (and have been known to say my idea of roughing it is when the hotel doesn't have a restaurant.) But there's a difference between staying at the Red Roof Inn or Motel 6 and being expected to stay at the no-tell motel off the state highway that charges by the week. We've had people on this thread familiar with the actual hotel Johnny was apparently sniping about in Lake Placid--apparently, it's not the Plaza, but it's not a crack house, either. I'd rather stay at a Kimpton property, but if I'm in a small town that doesn't have one, I'll survive at the Best Western, somehow. *note sarcasm*

Johnny sounds less like he's aspiring to a 'better' class than he wants people think he's rich enough to be a jerk about sub-five-star accomodations. (The better class knows better than to complain about it, which is why the celebutantes and fashionistas are, by and large, just trash with money, not 'upper class'.)

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sounds like Johnny has no idea what "class" really means.

mag and (deleted member) like this.