Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 8, 2011.

1. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I got the book yesterday from Amazon (arrived earlier than I expected.)

Anyone else have it yet? I'm about 1/2 way through (though I did skim the rest a bit last night.)

As I would have expected from Johnny's journal posts, it is very readable.

So far I am most :eek: at how he described Michael Weiss (not so much what Johnny thinks of him, but the words used.) Page 80.

The reason why he had to withdraw from the GPF in China (pp 116-117) :rolleyes: - "Oh, Johnny!" - you hit the nail on the head, Patti!

There's lots of sweetness there too, though, including Johnny's first sexual experiences, and his deeply meaningful 2005 Worlds exhibition performance.

People who don't like Johnny now aren't apt to change their minds from what I've read so far, but those who appreciate all that he is are in for a treat.

Wait'll you see the baby bird photo!

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered it for my Kindle but it hasn't been delivered yet. Eagerly awaiting.

3. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

What words did he use to describe Michael Weiss?

4. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

ooo dish on the Michael Weiss gossip!

5. snoopysnake

He called Michael "A big hulking and classless idiot with three national titles, two world medals, and two Olympic teams under his wide belt, he was a huge star and everything that the U.S. Figure Skating Association wanted at the helm."

I hope that Johnny is being facetious here, although I doubt it.

Big and hulking? I think not. But classless, I know that he is not. I have met Michael as a fan at four different events and he was absolutely warm and charming every single time, even the time I ran into him in the arena in 2003 right after he lost Worlds, medalless, at that, on his home ice. I told him that I could see that the entire audience loved him that night, and that was more important than any gold medal. Mike replied very sincerely, "Thanks, I appreciate that." I don't think someone classless would react that way.

Classless? I had the nerve at another event to ask him to say hi on my cell phone to a 92-year old skating fan friend of mine from church (knowing that he's a Methodist too!) He chatted with her for a minute and even told her how she could watch this event on TV. Classless? No way!

Perhaps Johnny would have reacted with equal grace in these situations, but I doubt that Mike would choose to write in a memoir with such a deliberate lack of tact about one of his competitors.

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

If this is how he describes Michael, I can't wait to read some excerpts about Evan or Patrick Chan.

7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

It's possible that Weiss is nice to fans and a dick to his competitors.

igniculus and (deleted member) like this.
  8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Who knows what is said behind the scenes and in the locker rooms? Something must had gone down between Michael and Johnny for him to describe Michael that way. The only thing I remember Johnny ever saying about Michael was in one of his journals, Johnny was upset that Michael told him he still skated like a junior skater after he moved up to seniors and he shouldn't even be skating at the senior nationals.

9. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

I've never met Michael Weiss, but he's from my area. I've run into quite a few people--not all of them involved in figure skating--who know him, and the reports are 100% positive. Even aside from the training $$$ assistance his foundation provides to promising young skaters, Michael is clearly a class act.

However, it's possible for two people to respond negatively to each other, even if they are both "nice".

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Oh, I don't know - I think he may lose a lot of fans, just based on what you've revealed here.

Johnny calling anyone else "classless" is pretty rich.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

12. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

What Nomad said! ;)

13. jlai

jlai Title-less

If it reads anything like his online journal, I don't think I'll buy the book

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If Johnny thinks Michael Weiss is "big and hulking", Johnny must be smaller than he looks.

15. psycho

psycho New Member

Michael "This is where the action happens" Weiss? So Classy, that guy...:lol:

16. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I want to join the folks who have good things to say about Michael. He has been nothing but polite (super polite) and gracious to me when we occasionally run into each other. I am no one special to him although he knows who I am, nor to his wife Lisa and yet, they have been just lovely. "Classless"? Not as far as I have experienced. And I think his Foundation work and the many skaters it has supported mean a great deal in the "class" department.

17. REO

REO New Member

I remember back in the day Johnny telling a story about, at one of his first senior competitions, a well known skater whom he admired came back after his performance and dumped all the stuffed animals and flowers he got into the garbage can. Johnny thought it was really lousy because people had paid money for those things and thrown them in appreciation. He had even brought stuffed animals to throw at his friends himself. I always had an inkling it was Weiss he was talking about but I was never sure. I'm getting surerer.

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I have a hard time imaging that Johnny ever admired Weiss

19. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

There's no need to get defensive about what Weir said about Weiss or whomever else in his book and try to bring up examples that would contradict that. Different people have different experiences. We also interpret things differently. So Person A's experience with someone can be completely different than Person B's.

And it's not a thread about Micheal Weiss anyway.

20. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I can imagine Weiss and his family didn't like Weir between 2004 to 2006 when Michael was soundly beaten by Johnny at Nationals. There have been many accounts that Michael's family was very disrespectful towards Michael's competitors and fans of other competitors at competitions. Weiss's unflattering comments towards Weir and Savoie at Nationals were well documented back in 2003. Of course, given that these experiences happened 7-8 years ago, it should all be forgotten water under the bridge now. I would question someone's sanity if he/she was still holding a grudge over any of it. :shuffle:

21. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Michael made the comment about "junior skaters" at 03 Nats when Johnny finished 2nd in the sp. I doubt that he said it to Johnny but rather to the media.

A friend got the book for me for xmas and it came yesterday..hopefully, she'll get through the snow to get it to me.

22. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I have met Michael Weiss and was struck by how tiny he was, hardly hulking, LOL. And he was a sweetheart to my mom, who was babbling away and star struck. Everyone who skated in our club's show with him said he was super nice.

Can't wait to read this book, I wonder if my local library is getting it. Are there dirty parts, LOL, hope not or they may not stock it.

23. snoopysnake

Pretty clean in what I've read so far, except for a bit of profanity. Nothing graphic.

24. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Then Johnny should specify why he thinks Michael is classless. Otherwise, why should anyone take his remarks seriously? And "idiot"? There's a difference between frank but respectful criticism and snarking.

25. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have stood next to Weiss.. "big and hulking" Well.. at 5'5" I think I was taller :) and "hulking"? Maybe someone should introduce Weir to a football player to give him some perspective on that statement :)

Honestly, I expected this. Not attack on "Weiss" exactly but for Weir to use his book to "throw" stones at folks who weren't his friends or whom he "thinks" USFSA gave "his titles" too... Kind of :(

One of the reasons I will wait until this hits the "bargin bin" (and honestly considering the "popularity" of skating in the US right now that may happen sooner then we would like!) '

Here's the thing... I doubt that Weir would want everything HE has done in the presence of his competitors disclosed.... he might should have thought about that. Sometimes you reap what you sow. I have a feeling Evan alone has some great "stories" LOL! I think that perhaps what happens in those "locker" rooms should stay there for everyone's best interest. By telling all you may make Weiss etc. look bad, but you don't make yourself look that good either to most Americans. (And am I the only person old enough to remember Summers and Witt telling about who rude they used to be to each other in the waiting areas etc... part of the 'psych' out game. But they went on to become what appeared to be good friends)

I am sitting here watching one of the most "admired" athletes from my Alma Mater (Peyton Manning) warm up... and even he has "locker room horror stories" Things just happen in the heat of these type of events.

26. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Agreed. Back up your statements if you want to make them convincing. That said, I've known people who are perfectly nice in a social environment but can be real a**holes in a competitive situation.

27. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

He may have.. you aren't getting the ENTIRE book here:lol:

28. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Here's the thing...Weiss made a derogatory comment in public, to the press...as was stated up thread.
    Its not "locker-room" gossip, AFAIK.

29. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Right you are. But I have the sneaking suspicion that Weir's key competitors have (as Musesk8tr said many posts ago) put old news behind them, are classy (to put it in Johnny's terms) enough not to bother responding, and actually have better things to do than deal with this swat at, in this case, Weiss' reputation (please see other new thread about the Foundation grants for 2011 which sorta puts things in perspective).

As you say, this will find it's way to the remainder bin in time and it will take with it a little bit more of Weir's dignity. When he says these things, it is at his own expense in the end. Be fun, be out, love style, dress wild but don't become the "classless" guy in the room, just be the interesting guy in the room; outrageous/original (think David Bowie or someone like that who has been a complete original) does not equal classless but Johnny doesn't always seem to get that. He was a lovely skater but that too seems to be a thing of the past.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  30. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. Many people are excellent chameleons. My sister had a roommate once who I thought was the nicest person on earth. Well, it turns out that she was simply a very good actress. ;)

Well, in a few days, I'm sure someone on here will have already read the whole thing. They can fill us in. :)