wedding Party question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Twilight1, May 5, 2012.

1. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

So 3 years ago (maybe 4) I purchased a dress for a wedding I was a bridesmaid in for 2 friends. Theyt broke up before they married and I have this dress sitting in my closet. (They were going to go with a black and red theme so the dress is black and red satin)

http://www.love-wedding-dresses.com/outlet-satin-square-sleeveless-bridesmaid-dress-buy-p-8681.html

Well he is now marrying another friend of mine and I am in their wedding. I am actually the maid of honour. I tried on the dress that I had purchased 4 years ago)to see if my friend was okay with that style of dress for me when we went bridesmaid dress shopping but she loved the dress I had on. Her wedding colour theme is tiffany blue, white, silver and black.

She wants me to take the red out and put the tiffany blue in it`s place.

Is this appropriate? I would love to wear that dress as the tiffany blue and the black would look stunning.

I don`t talk to the groom`s ex at all and the only people who know about the dress would be a couple close friends.

What do I do?

2. woodstock

woodstock New Member

Go for it. If she loves it and is fine with the dress then changing the color should be worlds cheaper than buying a whole new dress.

Karma is only what you make of it. I was engaged when I was way too young (19 years old) and my grandmothers and mother had gone dress shopping and bought my gown together. Got to my senses (and got sick of his drinking) and we broke up before the wedding, and threw the dress in a closet. Now at age 35 I am going to wear that dress at my wedding in a few months. Some people would be horrified. I think of it this way, saves money and my grandmothers have since passed away. I want to wear the dress they saw and chose with me. Which wedding it was purchased for really doesn't matter.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Wow! That is a great dress. I say go for it. I also think the tiffany blue will look better than the red.

4. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Go for it! It's a beautiful dress, the bride agrees...why waste it?

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

If she likes it, why not? Sounds ideal, and if you're worried about bad luck/karma, think of it as removing the bad luck when you take the red out. ;)

6. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I do like that you've made this a sustainable option.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think it is perfectly fine! You are changing the dress somewhat anyway.

8. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

A dress is just a dress. Go for it! And yeah, you'll be changing it a bit anyway. :lol:

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Absolutely do it! The bride likes it, that is really what matters. It would be such a waste to not use it, and it's very pretty.

10. Twilight1

I guess my concern in this is that I am not on good terms with the groom`s ex and she came with me when I purchased this dress.

I don`t want her to feel like I am slapping her in the face because we do have friends that talk with her still.

I do love the dress though lol

11. cruisin

If she has a problem with it, ask her to reimburse you for a dress you paid for, in good faith, which you never got to wear. If she pays for it she gets to have an opinion.

12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Would the groom's ex honestly remember that dress if you didn't tell any of your mutual friends? :eek: It WAS three (or four!) years ago, after all...

13. Twilight1

The groom's ex is a tad on the 'crazy' side hence why they split. She remembers everything. lol!

We have an appointment tonight with a seamstress about the dresses. The tiffany blue will look so pretty, that at this point, I don't care. I like cruisin's idea of having her pay for the dress if there is an issue.

I doubt she will give me the $250 I paid out for it.

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Since they still offer that dress, how about "Oh, isn't it funny that Sheila choose the same style of dress for me to wear at her wedding." She did, you're not lying.

15. cruisin

$250 is a lot of money to spend on a dress that you will never wear. As crazy as the ex may be, she has no right to expect you to eat that. Have the dress altered and don't worry about it. The one thing you want to make sure of, is that the expense of making the change is not ridiculous. Sometimes major alterations can be :eek:! Also, be sure that the seamstress can match the weight and sheen of the fabric.