Wedding music suggestions!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by elka_sk8, Aug 8, 2012.

1. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Getting married this fall and trying to put together a list of music for the dj. Was hoping to tap into the great FSU community for suggestions! What songs have you enjoyed at weddings? Can either be fast or slow, and we'll have a mix of ages so trying to include songs that would appeal to the young and old. I'm open to more "offbeat" suggestions but trying to avoid hokey stuff like the Electric Slide and the Hokey Pokey. :p and no Katy Perry. :scream:

Thanks!

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Go through your iPod or wherever your music is and pick out songs that are energetic and fun and not too long. Let your fiance do the same. It should be music you both enjoy.

3. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Chicken dance?

Shake your groove thing?

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Carmen, Malaguena, Aranjuez, The Feeling Begins, Ave Maria, Turandot, Swan Lake, Bolero, Requiem for a Dream, Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2, Scheherazade, Firebird.... ;)

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I sense a theme there. :lol:

I'm music dumb, elka, so no suggestions but congratulations to you both and have a happy life. :)

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I would consider the age of your guests, and try and include music that is from the time they were in high school. At weddings I've been too, people respond to songs they know, and even those who no longer dance are comfortable with the songs they used to dance to.

This would include your own friends and perhaps cousins, but also consider your parents and aunts/uncles/family friends and go back to their time for a few songs as well.

And congrats :)

7. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Everyone always says NO ELECTRIC SLIDE!!!!! but if you want to break the ice and get people of all ages on the dance floor, hokey line dances are the way to do it. Everyone knows the steps. Even people who scream I would never!!! all of a sudden are there in droves, doing the dance. Cheese brings people together.

8. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

And for those of us who don't know the Electric Slide, there's always the Macarena. That was on the "must play" list for our wedding. :D

9. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Well there are those to avoid: Pachelbel Canon is definitely not something you want to use.

For opening music, something like Bach's violin concerto in E major, or one of the Brandenburg concertos...

I've got quite a few ideas but not the exact references in my head, so I'll get back to you in a bit :)

ETA: duh, will teach me not to read the thread properly... I was thinking of ceremony music :lol:

10. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Just attended a wedding recently- there was a wide range of ages in attendance. One song, believe it or not, that got EVERYONE up and acting silly was LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It".

"I Got A Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas was a huge hit and very appropriate for a wedding reception.

The older crowd enjoyed their staples: In the Mood, American Bandstand, Moondance.

If you don't want the actual Electric Slide, you could "update" with the Cha Cha Slide. Those dances are hokey, but the are party starters for sure and people who won't dance to other songs will usually get up for those. YMCA is also a party starter.

Congratulations!! Hope you have a great day!

11. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

We attended a wedding last weekend. The 1st song the DJ played after the 1st couple dance & the father/daughter dance was Play That Funky Music White Boy. It got everyone up & moving.

12. elka_sk8

Actually, we have yet to pick those too! :lol: so suggestions would be welcome, I love pachabel canon but everyone seems to be using that these days.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've just been getting "stuck" if you know what I mean- our current list has some old school staples like madonna and Michael Jackson (I'm an 80s child) but my personal music collection tends to be on the mellow non-dancing side (and my fiance is no help at all!). I'll hear something at a party or bar and think ohh that would be great to add but then of course I forget. ;)

13. elka_sk8

Haha! That's awesome.

14. PDilemma

If you love it, use it. I don't know why people get so wound up about using something someone else has used.

As for dance music, consider who will really dance.

My extended family on my mother's side would not dance at a wedding or party even if offered a cash reward on the spot. In fact, no one ever had a wedding dance in that family before me and no one has since. My cousins got a dj for my aunt and uncle's anniversary party since there was a dance floor in the venue. No one danced.

My husband's extended family, on the other hand, has a thing for polka music (they are Polish). And will dance to anything.

Point being--people who enjoy dancing will dance and people who are not into that won't, no matter what you play. So don't sweat too much over it. We made a list for the DJ of music we both like and some no-nos and he worked from there. Remember that DJs are experienced at working the crowd for you, too. We danced the whole night and our close friends did, too. Other people, who preferred not to, had drinks and seats and everyone seemed happy.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That one, "to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left, to the right" etc is always a good one to get people up and dancing. ANYONE can do it. And no, I have no idea what it's called. The hip 20somethings will know, but I am not one of those!

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I heard that song in the last wedding I attended. The first time I ever heard it. I didn't get it at all.

What about Glee songs? The kids will know it because it's Glee and they cover songs from a broad demographic.

17. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: I don't understand this. It's a beautiful piece of music.

Exactly. I agree. Mr. Habs and I used Pachelbel's Canon at our wedding because we love it. The pianist we hired to play at our ceremony did an amazing job with it.
    Just because other people have used it doesn't mean you should avoid it.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The last two bar-mitzvahs I've attended had this song. Everyone did it--it's the Macarena of the 21st century. :p

19. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

That's the Cha Cha Slide.

The teachers have to do it at every pep rally. :shuffle:

20. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

In the music world, it's rated about as highly as Plushenko's choreography is in the skating world.

Having said that - I must admit I love many of Plushenko's programs and find them way more entertaining/watchable than many of the "skater's skater" programs. So I'm nobody to claim that Pachelbel's canon should not be used, point taken.

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Okay, you may not have heard of this, but an absolutely beautiful choice for the wedding march is 'O Magnum Mysterium' by Lauridsen. It is just absolutely wonderful music that is rarely used for this sort of setting. I don't know if you're the bride or groom, but the doors opening for the bride at the climactic moment would be breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGBuwISjCg (climax at 3:53)

Edit: Another really beautiful piece of instrumental music is Forever Love On Piano, based on the song Forever Love by X Japan. It's super gorgeous and I can guarantee you that no one you know will have heard of it :lol: I have the mp3 if you'd like it.

Another really lovely one is Dusk by Steven Bryant.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  22. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

That shouldn't matter... wedding music is very personal choice. :)

23. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

This is a figure skating board--first thing we learn here is there is no such thing as overused music! ;) And if you love it, use it--it's your day. :)

At my niece's wedding, Twist got everyone up and going. But I agree with whoever said it up thread--get a short list of what you absolutely want/don't want, and let the DJ do the rest. And let him know the age range too.

24. PDilemma

My best friend has a degree in piano performance and piano pedagogy and has never complained about Pachelbel. She even used it in her own wedding. Now, if you ask her to play "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" for a wedding processional, on the other hand, she will have to restrain herself from slapping you. She doesn't think it is a bad piece of music, either. Her objection is that it doesn't work well for people to walk to. Having walked to it in three weddings, I don't disagree.

Remember that people have to consider what their pianist or organist can play when choosing ceremony music. We had to make a change because our pianist could not play something well. (My best friend was in the wedding party rather than playing).

25. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Many years ago I knew someone from the Deep South who was an organist - played at a lot of weddings - he told me he gotten requests for "What Kind of Fool Am I" and "D-V-O-R-C-E" to be played at weddings...

Don't pick those songs...:p

26. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I may have requested "Golddigger" at my brother's best friend's wedding. :shuffle:
    He's a doctor who married a truly miserable woman who quit her job as soon as they got engaged (5 months after meeting)....

27. PDilemma

Yep. And don't do your first dance to the Police's "Every Breath You Take", please. No stalker songs. Or U2's "One". Unless you truly believe that nothing says happily ever after more than the line "Did you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?"

Listen to the lyrics before you choose, people! :lol:

28. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Yes, similarly, PLEASE, everyone, do not use the Bridal Chorus by Wagner ("Here Comes The Bride"). For one thing, in the opera it comes from ("Lohengrin"), it actually is a piece of music that takes place after the wedding (the processional music in Lohengrin is actually the much more beautiful 'Elsa's Procession To The Cathedral'). In addition, Lohengrin is a tragedy, and the bride dies at the end :shuffle:

29. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

A had a musical director once who was asked to sing "I Don't Know How To Love Him" at a friend's wedding. His response was "I am not singing the words 'I've had so many men before in very many ways. He's just one more.' at your wedding."

30. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

:lol: Now THAT I'd like to see! :lol: