Wedding attendance/gift dilemma

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Louis, Mar 26, 2011.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I went to a wedding at St. Patrick's Cathedral on Yom Kippur Day, and it was the first wedding I'd ever been to at which tourists were snapping away at a wedding ceremony.

2. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Many people give savings bonds instead of checks for weddings. A $1000 savings bond costs $500 plus fees. Somehow that seems less extravagant and it's a testimony that you believe the marriage will last a long time.

3. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Savings bonds from the US government have no fees

4. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Great idea! Unfortunately, the savings bond interest rate is 0% right now. It will still get adjusted for inflation, however.

Since Louis is talking particularly about the honeymoon, I think a gift certificate for a few nights at a nearby resort is still a good idea (tooting my own horn :)), but I really like the savings bond idea for a general wedding present.

Edit: I was referring to type I savings bonds. I didn't know about EE savings bonds ($1000 bond costs $500) but will now look into that for myself! Thanks, FigureSpins!

Edit: Hmm, now may not be the time for EE bonds either, as the interest rate on bonds bought today is fixed at 0.6%.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This summarizes how I feel, also.

6. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I bonds carry no fees, they are just like EE. The only difference is that EE are fixed rate and I have a fixed rate of return and a variable semiannual inflation rate (based on CPI-U for March and September)which are combined. Both I and EE are SAVINGS BONDS.
    Now Treasury bonds, notes and bills can be purchased from brokers and some large bank investment units for a fee, but you can get those through Treasury Direct for no fee.
    If I were a betting person, I would bet that the fixed rate for
    'I' will be more an 0% on May 1.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. bek

bek Guest

Here's a thought. If you were afraid that a gift that big might make the friendship uncomfortable. You could always give them a smaller cash gift, and then give them some of the rest in an anonymous way. I.e a typed note saying that you think they are wonderful people who deserve a great honeymoon, and that your afraid they won't accept that if you give them the money directly. So your giving it to them in a way where they can't return it or say no.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
    Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has experience with this site that I found: http://www.xperiencedays.com/

It lets you buy gift certificates for an experience such as a hot air balloon ride or dance lessons. Sounds like a neat wedding gift.

Wow, that's a great idea! Louis, I will be extremely impressed with you and anyone else who takes this approach. It's an exercise in true selflessness.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011