Weaver and Poje their time is now

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sliver98, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 New Member

I've always thought Andrew was an outstanding skater but in the last couple of season Kaitlyn has improved SO much. She used to skate with slightly stiff knees but now has lovely soft knees, good edges and is way more confident. Great coaching obviously helps. LOVE this team - world champs very soon I'd say.

3. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I agree World Champs !

4. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Kaitlyn and Andrew made the cover of the "24 hours" commuter newspaper, modeling the Canadian Olympic outfits.

-Click on "calendar".
    -Select October.
    -Click on the 31st.
    -Click on the image to get a closeup view.

http://eedition.toronto.24hrs.ca/epaper/viewer.aspx

5. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Kaitlyn and Andrew made the cover of the "24 hours" commuter newspaper, modeling the Canadian Olympic outfits.

-Click on "calendar".
    -Select October.
    -Click on the 31st.
    -Click on the image to get a closeup view.

http://eedition.toronto.24hrs.ca/epaper/viewer.aspx

Going to the Olympics was their initial dream. Having been so disappointed in 2010, they must be very excited now that it is within reach.

6. tut88

tut88 New Member

7. tut88

tut88 New Member

I agree !!

8. tut88

tut88 New Member

Skate Canada has been a turning point for them, skating 2 beautiful and demanding programs already SO well !!
    I hope all will go well at CoR too, even if Bobrova at home will be unbeatable, anyway...
    I love this programs and I m really happy Pasquale and Angelika have worked well with them.
    Also Geoffrey Tyler sounds a special man ! Great team !

9. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I think they are well liked and appreciated in Russia. So I have great hopes for them there. Their programmes are sound, the judges obviously liked them, and their marks for their first outing were stellar in comparison to Bobrova's first comp. I really hope that being on home ice doesn't help the Russians get inflated scores, but only the scores they deserve

10. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I've watched both of their dances again and I'm really impressed .They look so polished and ready for so early in the season .They have an amazing chemistry as well and respect and they look like extremely hard workers.That was so evident after Kaitlyn's comeback so soon after injury last year :respec:I hope P/B win the bronze but if not I'll certainly be very happy for W/P to win and I'm sure they have a great future right at the top for sure .

11. Nalachika

Nalachika New Member

12. girlscouse62

cheering and hoping for them as they skate at CoR this weekend. Does anyone have any practice footage?

13. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

This should be an exciting few weeks for them. They should win their first grand prix event, followed by their first ever grand prix final medal in a couple weeks, setting them up perfectly for the Sochi podium.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

15. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

We'll be cheering for them.

16. girlscouse62

Thank you, Sylvia. I really enjoy that this music and progamme so different from most this season.

17. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Well, that was disgraceful..:mad:

18. bunhead

bunhead New Member

Would you mind elaborating, Pratfall? Not everyone has access to whatever you're seeing.

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

The scoring sucked big time ::mad: There's something very wrong here, and it had nothing to do with W/P's skating.

21. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Their scores were significantly lower than Skate Canada. They did not get several levels on their elements. Something seems really off...

22. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

*Something* has been off in ice dance for quite some time. Either
    1)use the rules the way they written and meant to be used
    2) modify the rules to what you want dance to become and ensure EVERYONE understands what everything means or they don't get to be on the tech panel/judge or
    3) take it the hell out of the Olympics.

23. bunhead

bunhead New Member

It seems speed is being rewarded above all else in ice dance right now. Nevermind that speed can come at the expense of looking like they lack control or show weak posture. Even Eurosport commentators are lacking to me this season: they didn't even bother pointing out that BS' twizzles were far from perfect. This need-for-speed is reminding me of the Grishuk Platov days that made me hate ice dance. SAD.

24. amy8

amy8 Member

I too have noticed that speed is more important than footwork this year which is really against my preferences but I didn't like the era where theatrical poses were the big mark getters either. Is there ever a happy medium?

25. bluestocking

bluestocking New Member

Tanith Belbin tried to be diplomatic but even she had to say she was "surprised" at the disparity between WP's and BS's TES marks. Has anyone looked at the protocols to see whether it's the tech panel, the judges or both who are putting in the fix?

26. rustyskater

rustyskater Member

I know. It's crazy. I think WP are better than BS but . . . the judges say otherwise. Makes me sympathize with VM fans who feel judging is biased toward DW - they just can't believe DW deserve those scores! They believe in a fix. Thankfully, DW are in fact superior so there is, in fact, some validity in some judging.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

The judging in the SD yesterday was beyond reproach, and W/P got the butt end of it :mad:.

There's an interesting discussion about this going on in the Rostelecom Cup forum titled "From Russia With Politics." If you have access to it, SLIVER, who, IIRC, knows a good bit about the workings of the ISU/Judging/Federations (or some combination therein), has made some very interesting posts (one in particular about the Technical Caller for Dance at this competition) that are definitely worth checking out.

28. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I wish she would have been less diplomatic (I haven't actually heard her comments), I wish everyone would be less diplomatic. If everyone commenting that had access to a microphone and legitimate knowledge of ice dance, like Tanith, called this kind of behavior out on a regular basis, I think it could make a difference.

29. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Speed + difficult clean footwork is incredibly difficult and should be awarded, but anyone (and by anyone I mean elite skaters, not me) can fly sloppily around the ice.

30. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Oh, I posted that comment right after the SD and ran off to kick something. I don't want to transgress by getting into discussion here but that they were marked too low was only half the problem ..others were marked too high as well..

Katalin Alpern is notorious,as far as I know , and has been involved in many controversial competitions over the years.

If anyone has a link to the British Eurosport coverage , I'd love to see it . They were apparently very puzzled and surprised.

We'll see what tomorrow brings...