Weaver and Poje their time is now

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sliver98, Oct 22, 2011.

1. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

:( - I really hoped that it's not true. I guess, now it won't matter if Kaitlyn is healed by Worlds, because they can't go to Nationals anyway. I believe they are stricter with those things in USA and Canada - or is there a way around this?

2. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Because of their national and world ranking, I believe they could apply for a medical bye to Worlds if Kaitlyn is ready in time.

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Probably not, unless she can prove that one of her parents was born in Lithuania. If so, she would automatically become a citizen. But since Lithuania doesn't permit dual citizenship, she'd have to forfeit her US citizenship.

Otherwise, she would have to apply for naturalization, which requires a 10-year residency and fluency in the Lithuanian language. That would rule out competing in Sochi.

4. IceDanceFan1

IceDanceFan1 New Member

I believe she handed in her citizenship documents at the start of October during her trip to Lithuania. See their Facebook fan page for more details!

5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm hoping we get more detail on Kaitlyn's injury when it's known. Not all ankle fractures are the same, it depends on which bone or bones are broken. I'm really hoping they can make Worlds if they get a bye to Nats. They earned that placement along with V/M. Such a shame to see them miss out. If Tessa and Scott can overcome, they have the grumption to do it too. If it had been any other team skating last year, there would not have been the 3 spots. Here's hoping.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sad :( Wishing speed recover to Kaitlyn!

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The web info I've found on dual citizenship in Lithuania allows for some exceptions, and I suspect were citizenship to be granted, it would be on an "extraordinary talent" or "service to current citizen" exception anyway.

Thank you, IceDanceFan1 for the heads up on their fan page -- I'll track it down now.

9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Debrah and (deleted member) like this.
  10. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

So sad for them. Surely wish her a successful surgery and that she is healed and whole again quickly.

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

nm

12. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Cute :)........I'm hoping they all have a great Christmas and New Year as well. Here's hoping the healing process is a speedy one for Kaitlyn and we see them back on the ice asap.

13. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Well, finally some good news :) According to their facebook page, Kaitlyn said that the surgery was successful. Hopefully she can have a complete recovery.

14. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

15. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

That's a great relief. I hope her recovery goes smoothly , and they come back strong.

16. syed

syed New Member

Totally agree.....

17. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

There is a new article on TSN about Weaver/Poje (was linked on GS):http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=413980

Apparently Poje is training with Krylova while Kaitlyn is doing rehab in Toronto. Now,I love Weaver/Poje together,but I would pay good money to see Poje/Krylova train together.;)

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  18. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

Whoa! I think Kaitlyn is a beautiful woman, and her and Andrew look fantastic together, but him with Anjelica would be totally smokin'!!

19. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Kaitlyn had also been injured years ago. Andrew had to continue training with Bourne. As I recall, Kaitlyn said she was wondering if Andrew would be disappointed with her skating, after having practiced with Shae-Lynn. Of course, she wasn't as experienced as she is now.

20. elle123

elle123 Member

I'd love to be able to see Krylova and Poje skating together :)

21. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

The camera caught them sitting in the stands............They looked so sad :(. I hope they get to go to Worlds.

22. elle123

elle123 Member

I think they were heart broken for Alex and Mitch, but that may just be me projecting. :(

They also showed Andrew saying something to Kaitlin and she rolled her eyes - I wish I could read lips because I'm curious what he said to her haha

23. sequins

sequins Active Member

No, I thought that too and yes I to wonder what he said. It was right after G/P marks came up.;)

24. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I'm beginning to dislike W&P somewhat, but I'll try to keep an open mind and not jump to conclusions.

First, why should W&P expect a spot to Worlds when they haven't competed at Nationals this year? They are a good team, but it's not as if they are World Champions, so why do they assume they should get a Bye to Worlds?

Second, I'm wondering if they are envious of how well G&P are doing. Perhaps it's a leftover rivalry from the days when C&P used to regularly beat W&P?

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If there is a rule/process in place to allow them to ask for a medical bye based on prior results in national and international competition and submit to whatever monitoring Skate Canada has for medical byes, then they have a right to ask for that consideration. Were they to be given a bye, then it would be Skate Canada who thinks they deserve a spot, perhaps based on the assumption that even a sub-par W/P would be more likely to guarantee three spots in Sochi with Virtue/Moir.

26. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Maybe because Weaver and Poje finished 4th at worlds last year and helped get Canada three spots for Worlds this year?

Personally, I thought Gilles and Poirier's marks were ridiculous. Their FD score was on par with what Pechalat and Bourzat score internationally.

clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  27. ichiro

ichiro Member

I totally agree G/P marks were ridiculous. They seem use their big tricks and personality to mask their scratchiness. I have nothing against this team, I actually have enjoyed some of their programs. I just don't see how SC can constantly inflate their scores.

28. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I think Rafter & ichiro have it right. It appears that to SC, anything Paul Poirier does is wonderful and you know what, I would agree that HE is a wonderful skater. However, Piper just isn't there with him and I feel gutted that teams that are better AS A TEAM aren't getting the marks or the respect that they should get, at least IMHO. Their programs are fun and enjoyable but I wasn't drawn to either their short or the free as much as I was by other teams.

At least W&P were in the rink, busy signing autographs and posing for pictures. Kaitlyn looked wonderful inspite of her crutches and Andrew was as good looking as ever. Really missed not seeing them compete.

As for why Kaitlyn rolled her eyes -- well I would venture that it has to do with her & Andrew's competitive history with Poirier back when he was skating with Vanessa and benefiting from getting generous marks

29. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Weaver and Poje are 6th on the ISU season's best list (20 points ahead of Gilles and Poirier). Medical byes have been given by Skate Canada many times (Kurt Browning in 1992, Elvis Stojko twice, IIRC in 1997 and 2001, Virtue and Moir in 2011; and they were prepared to give one in 2009 to Langlois and Hay, but they didn't recover in time). I don't think it's unreasonable for Weaver and Poje to be given the same consideration this year.

30. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

:lol: For all we know Andrew might have suggested wearing an outfit like Paul had on to increase their PCS and that was Kaitlyn's reaction :p