Weaver and Poje their time is now

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sliver98, Oct 22, 2011.

1. sequins

sequins Active Member

I agree as well. I still believe those 2 teams are a notch above the others. Call me naive but I hope whoever skates it and deserves it ends up on the podium whether they're from Russia, N.America or wherever. I hate thinking otherwise even though I know it still happens. I like W/P FD but they weren't happy with how they performed it so I have hope. It's very different/unique and sometimes that can be a plus and other times a minus, but I always appreciate the effort to bring something new to the table no matter what the result.

2. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

The silver lining in this result IMO is that, despite the fact that Bobrova/Soloviev are much improved compared to last season, Weaver/Poje still beat them on the PCS scores. The levels problems are probably quite easy to fix.

One good thing about the judging panel at Skate America is that I don't think anyone could accuse the technical panel of favouring the Russians, given their nationalities. That will mean that the levels problem can't be passed of as a bias in the technical panel, and will have to be taken seriously and fixed.

To set some context for the result, their PCS scores have improved by over 2 points compared to their first competition last season (Skate Canada).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm very happy that these were fixable mistakes and that they are easily overcome. I love their FD (and their SD).

5. tut88

tut88 Member

I love this FD !
    They took a totally different path from everybody else !
    And I admire them for this !!!!!!
    They have guts !
    Need to work on it, and to make some mechnism more fluent, but I'm sure it will be great !
    They are very good skaters, just need to handle pressure better.
    wish them all the best !

6. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Best of luck to them for CoC. ..SD just a few hours away . Go, guys !

7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

The free dance will grow on me I think, like their Moulin Rouge freedance. Their SD is my favourite one this year of all the one's i have seen so far.

Good luck to them at CoC, honestly, I really really hope they win!

8. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Kaitlyn's new SD dress is beautiful!

9. Marta24

Marta24 Member

I am happy she changed it. The old dress was too plain.

10. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

11. Twilight1

Love it! Solid job and I hope they close the gap with P&B.

12. Macassar88

Unless PB fall, I don't think that WP will be able to close the gap even if they do win the FD. But we'll see what happens. Personally I hope that PB fall and end up in third so that BS and WP can still make the GPF (because we know that PB will win TEB so they'll make it anyway). I feel like all three of those teams are more deserving of making the GPF than Ilinykh and Katsalapov or Capellini and Lanotte.

13. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

love the new SD costumes! fit the music better!

14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:( Awww.......it looks like they won't make the GPfinal this year unless a miracle happens.........oh well, more training time for them.

15. zilam98

oh really? what happened?

16. Macassar88

They placed third in both events - usually the top 6 all have two silvers/golds or a gold and a bronze.

17. jtpc

jtpc Active Member

3 straight events now where Weaver and Poje's FD spin and diagonal step sequence have been called a level 2 (Ondrej Nepela, Skate America and Cup of China). When are they going to look at tweaking those? The spin matches the character of the program nicely, but they can't be giving up 2 whole points at Worlds. The difference between a level 2 and 3 diagonal step sequence is 1.5 points. A level 4 spin alone would have kept them 2nd in China.

18. Marta24

Marta24 Member

I don't care what the judges say. Weaver/Poje's FD is amazing and a masterpiece. I hope they won't change now their FD to something more traditional!

I am so sad for them,sometimes it's like they are running against a wall and I think they deserve much more recognition and respect than they get right now.

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

But I'm sure there are small things they could change here or there that would enable them to get higher scores without sacrificing their "masterpiece".

20. Marta24

Marta24 Member

Of course! Maybe with more transitions they could improve their PCS and they have to raise their levels in the spin and steps.Maybe it's good for them to not getting into the GPF, so they have more training time until Canadians.

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I hope they go back and take out some of the cuts in their SD. With such well-known music, so many cuts distract from the skating. The audience spends time thinking of the next song, and stops paying attention to the skating.

22. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I think it's worse than that. It seems to me that they are also too distracted [if that's the right word] by that constant music change. It changes so often it seemed to me they couldnt really connect to it to any great extent and at times lost all connection to the rhythm. IMO this program would work a lot better artistically and technically if they would limit themselves to 2 songs.

23. zilam98

my thoughts as well. i really loved the idea of their SD to the sound of music, but their music cuts are way too much.

24. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

They work so hard in practice that I can understand their look of frustration. The Russian pair passing them had to be salt in a wound for them. They definitely can make the necessary changes to step up the program. Its a competitive sport out there but they have the goods not to mention the look of champions.

25. Macassar88

I definitely don't think they will just step aside - although I would also think you were crazy if you think that Bobrova and Soloviev will stagnate from now until worlds (presumably the next time they would meet).
    As a fan of both teams, I hope they both make significant improvements every day and both skate amazing programs at every competition. That's what will make a great rivalry and make them both improve the most.

26. tut88

tut88 Member

I don't think Judges bother so much about the SD's cuts of music.
    This is not a music contest.

I think they need to improuve the FD, technically change something, and skate better to have some higher goe.

Of course RUssians will push to put their couple higher for Sochi ... ( Ilinik in the GPFInal is a prouve)
    So, I hope they will go back to work with ALL the team, to try to recover this season !

27. Twilight1

I really want to see Virtue & Moir and Weaver & Poje on the podium at World's. It would totally make my trip worth it!

I do think they really need to up the technical and get that connection with the audience with their FD. Their SD is wonderful though

28. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I agree about the SD. I don't think there is anything wrong with it and the music cut is just a personal preference. I don't find the SD is worse than their main competitors.

I LOVED the FD when they debuted but now that everyone has their FD's out there and we see which ones are being rewarded they might need to add some more transitions and difficulty to compete and make it impossible for the judges to ignore. I also don't think their FD is any worse then B&S, P&B and C&L. It definitely isn't worse then I&K. For the sake of this post I will just assume at this stage V&M and D&W are unbeatable. Unfortunately for them having a SD and FD that isn't any worse than their closest competitors isn't going to be enough for them as momentum at the moment seems to be with B&S and C&L. Just too crowded there around the podium that it could come down to judges preference and right now I see that with B&S and C&L.

29. Marta24

Marta24 Member

30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

So they reworked their programs......good for them. I really hope it all works out for them.