Weaver and Poje their time is now

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sliver98, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Me, too!

2. tut88

tut88 Member

Well it seems we really don't agree.
    I think they are showing their real face. Skating, trying to improve, having their own stlye ( of skating ). I don't see anything else.
    On ice, they are actually busy skating, off ice they live their lifes as they choose. Off ice I don't care.
    I don't think they aim to copy anyone.
    But this V/M omni-presence that makes me smile ...

Anyway this makes me understand how much power they have from the world outside. How much support.
    Normally I admire it, but when it damages others, I don't like it.

3. tut88

tut88 Member

I think they actually ARE !

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I really don't think they are trying to copy anyone. It's my belief that they are endeavouring to find their own style and as far as I'm concerned they are. They will never be perfect but they have improved significantly over the last few years and certainly have called attention to themselves from the judges and fans alike. I don not compare them with V/M. They are their own people. I also happen to be an avid V/M fan and I do not see any similarities in their material or their bodily attitudes. They seem to be close and work well together whether they are a "couple" or not. It's irrelevent to me. I have tons of repect for them and what they have managed to accomplish in a few short years. I hope they continue to improve on a scale which they have been. They are had workers and it shows.

5. tut88

tut88 Member

I am with you !:)

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't see them trying to copy V/M in any way..

7. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

What pani means is how dare any other ice dance couple be allowed to stand off ice and hold hands and stare into each others eyes. :rolleyes:

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  8. puglover

puglover Active Member

Loved them yesterday at SOI - nothing new - absolutely stunningly good looking couple and their added height makes their elements so dramatic. Great addition to the cast - I thought the two ice dance teams were the highlight of the show. I am a sap for failed romance anyway and have loved "Je Suis Malade" since Skate Canada and it lived up to my every expectation. I was close enough to the ice to really see their expressions and I did not find it over the top at all - just so real and heartfelt. Kaitlyn's expressions have always been very obvious on the televised versions of this I have seen but yesterday I was able to see a lot more of Andrew's face and it brought a whole new dimension of the program to me - the guy's point of view. Truly fantastic experience for me to see them live.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

whoops, wrong thread!

11. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

This is an odd conversation....

12. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

no problem, and I am glad you joined the club:)

Also, welcome Marta24!

I forgot to give my report from SOI Toronto. As everyone has already said, W&P were fabulous! I loved "Shake It Out" and think it is perfect for them. It seemed to be about that rawness and that desire for freedom...something that I really enjoy about their skating. I have always loved Kaitlyn's expression but what I noticed in this number was how much Andrew has grown as a performer. When they each turned towards the audience and shimmy, Andrew looked looser and freer in his upper body than I have seen him in the past, like he is really coming into his own. and I liked the contrast of these more spontaneous movements with the more controlled ones that were held. They also had great speed and energy. I hope they keep this as their ex for next season.

Their abbreviated version of "Je Suis Malade" was captivating. The omission of the two footwork sequences and the twizzles didn't seem to impede their ability to tell the story. They were really committed to this story, and the emotion felt real. Something I really appreciated seeing live was the way in which the story unfolded...in the beginning, the skating was a bit softer and they had these light smiles on their faces that reflected happier times in their relationship, but almost with a sense of foreboding. When the music became a bit more melancholic and dramatic and they really captured the change in mood. Andrew turned away from Kaitlyn and it was like something went through her. And it wasn't just their faces, but their entire bodies as well. One of my favourite parts of this FD is when Kaitlyn slides down Andrew's body and I had chills watching this part live. And I think the music edits for the show version worked nicely; I especially liked the part where they omitted the instrumentals. Kaitlyn and Andrew had to carry that part on their own and it also heightened the impact of the spectacular rotational lift that occurred just as the instrumentals came back in. They effectively conveyed a troubled relationship, and I really felt her pain and desperation. Powerful performance.

They were also great in the group numbers. My favourite ensemble number of theirs was the one based on the movie "Up." Their charleston was playful, youthful, and dancey, as they both carried the rhythm and portrayed the characters really well. And when Kaitlyn did her solo, she remained in character. She swayed a bit and lightly moved her shoulders forward and then backward, making one more prominent, and at times she pushed her chest out and tilted her head up as she stepped back and forth...she was so engrossed in the character and the dance.

Kaitlyn and Andrew were a wonderful addition to this show, and I hope I get to see them again next year:)

Full version of "Up" number:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXtIZiJqXEg

13. tut88

tut88 Member

Thank you !!

14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks BKfan.That was a terrific report. You are very talented with words, and your reports are always well thought out and very detailed.:).

I hope they are in SOI next year too. From what I've read, they are a well received addition to the show and maybe I'll get a chance to go next year.

15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think when they first came on the scene they did try to copy V&M.
    VM were ( and are) the goal standard in Canada a young and very naturally talented team. Since then they are trying to find their own style. Je Suis Malade is a well rehearsed and well performed routine. But, when they had the boys or the girls numbers in CSOI the difference in quality between V &K or A & S was huge.

Its clear that determination and hard work have brought success to A&K

16. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I don't know why they would have. When Weaver & Poje first teamed up, Virtue and Moir were the Canadian bronze medalists. I would think, if they'd been trying to emulate anyone, it would have been Dubriel and Lauzon. And in their first competitive season, W&P ended up 3rd, to V&M's 2nd - trying to emulate the team immediately ahead of you wouldn't be the smartest strategy (that would be like Hubbell and Donohue trying to emulate the Shibutanis).

I've never thought these two teams had similar styles.

17. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

no problem and thank you for the support! I find it very difficult to put my thoughts into words, so that means a lot.
    Also, I left out a couple of things:

-part of the happier section I mentioned was right in front of our end of the rink, so I got a good look at their faces as they smiled lightly at each other and I can tell you that it was such a quiet moment in contrast to the rest of the program...they looked so lovingly at each other and their connection was really something. And by the end of the program, I was so emotional. They delivered a very sincere performance, imo.

-Seated next to me was a lady who was attending SOI for the first time with her granddaughter, who looked to be in her late teens or early twenties. I asked if there was anyone who they were particularly keen to see, and the granddaughter mentioned Kaitlyn and Andrew (and I think the grandmother nodded) and said that they were "amazing," I believe. and these two were definitely well-received, you are right, clarie:)

18. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

When Weaver and Poje teamed up V&M were world junior champions ( 2nd one year and then first) and a tremendous buzz surrounded them in the Canadian ice dance world. Part of the reason was that they had missed going to the Olys by a very small margin. Even at that time if you watched them (VM)skating they appeared destined for greatness. 6th in their first worlds and on the world's podium ever afterwards.

19. beebee

beebee Active Member

The point of your post escapes me (not really, but I'll be generous) though one thing is certain--you are not adding any value to this thread which is celebrating the accomplishments of Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje.

20. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Sorry Beebee - I was replying to Impromptu who was replying to me. Am technologically challenged so dont yet know how to highlight the section!

Like every one else I do love Je Suis Malade ( and Last year's SD) and applaud them sincerely for the hard work they have put in to make that happen.

21. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

((Emdee))

I value you in this thread.

22. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Oh, and they rocked it in SOI Vancouver tonight. Sometimes, I admit, they get a little lost in the mix of the many skaters I love, which is completely nonsensical because they are such AMAZING performers. Every time I see them live I'm absolutely floored by how naturally they "get" the crowd. How do they do it? They have a mysterious crowd pleasing effect.

23. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

"Je Suis Malade" was just beautiful and magnificent to see live. What a treat.

24. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

:D Just to let everyone know, the GP assignments are up, and W/P have been given Skate America and Cup of China!! I'm not surprised to see them not assigned to Skate Canada, since it's in no one's best interest to put the #1 and #4 ranked teams at the same even representing the same country. Best to give W/P a chance at getting gold somewhere else instead of locking them into silver at SC. I am a bit surprised to see them only doing two events, since doing three has seemed to work for them, but I guess they are no longer in need of the extra exposure. They have arrived!!

25. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Skaters/teams don't have the option to do three this upcoming season like they did last year.

26. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Just for a quick update, W/P have announced that their SD music will be the Sound of Music. The program is apparently in honour of Andrew's grandmother, who passed away on the weekend. My condolences to Andrew and his family.:(

27. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

im betting on the lonely goatherd music ;) oh boy, this is gonna be one quirky season

29. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I feel like that's gonna be really popular. Aren't G/P doing that as well? Or is it Crone/Sorenson?

30. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

C and S - GP are doing Mary Poppins.