Weaver and Poje their time is now

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sliver98, Oct 22, 2011.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Why so necessary to dump on D&W if you love Weaver & Poje? I think D&W skate fast with excellent precision. Skating fast with technical precision is very hard to do -- and not many can accomplish what D&W are able to with such consistency.

Weaver & Poje are excellent ice dancers in their own right, and they are not in need of fans tearing down other ice dance teams, IMHO.

I really enjoy Weaver & Poje and I look forward to seeing what they will be dancing to next season. I was recently introduced to the music of the amazing Jeff Buckley. I'd love to see W&P skate to Buckley's Last Goodbye -- perhaps for an exhibition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvVfAT_WY_I&feature=fvwrel

2. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

My criticism of D/W has nothing to do with my love of W/P ( realize it's a little misplaced in this thread). I've had issues with their skating since long before W/P were even together. And I never claimed that D/W lacked percision (though the technical pannel at most comeptitions seems to) or speed. It is their level of execution that I feel is not up to par with others, V/M in particular.

3. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

You are so lucky to be attending worlds! I am sure it will be a wonderful experience!

maybe you should tweet Kaitlyn your choice of music. It worked for that man in Riga. I wonder when we will hear news about their music selections for next season.

I think they waltz beautifully. I was just re-watching their Dr Zhivago FD the other day, and I especially love the waltz sections in that dance. and with the improvements they have made since that time...one can only imagine

can't wait to get more news on these two!

and happy belated bday, Kaitlyn!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i think the better word for this is tentantive--they look too calculated and not as sure on their blades as teams with stronger skating skills do.

5. beebee

beebee Active Member

Couldn't disagree with you more (same goes for Rock2's concerns).

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I agree with you. And for me H-D FD and W-P have a lot off common things.
    But W-P really improved a lot. Maybe there next step will be show more freedom in there skating.

7. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

This is why I don't think they are suddenly going to leap in front of P/B as some people have said .P/B are smooth and better skaters .

8. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

it's uncanny how they foresee future champions. i remember their comments about gordeeva/grinkov and anissina/peizerat early in their careers.

9. aftershocks

Meryl Davis and Charlie White are the first ice dancing team to earn level 4s on all their elements. You may not like them or their style of skating, but to characterize them as "sloppy" is pretty "sloppy" and disrespectful of you. Obviously, D/W's "level of execution" (despite being an "issue" for you) is quite excellent. If it were not, there is no way they would have won Worlds last year or challenged for gold again this year. If you ever meet V/M or W/P try telling them about how you think they are more "up to par" than D/W. :cold:

Interesting assessment. I agree that W/P have greatly improved this season, but have more to do before they surpass V/M and D/W, especially in terms of technical skills. Definitely, they are smokin' hot. :hat1: Politics, sadly, is always a deciding factor.

Who knows? That may be the buzz, since D/W were dissed in the marks at Worlds 2012. Being that D/W skated great in both sd and fd, obviously politics was a factor in their marks. V/M were wonderful as well, particularly in the sd, but V/M's fd even with its improvements I did not think was up to the level of their abilities, plus as noted by Eurosport commentators, Scott stumbled very slightly in the beginning of fd and V/M's twizzles were not as fast or as strong as D/W's.

D/W really should not be "shafted" because 3 NA teams swept Worlds last year, due to P/B making an uncharacteristic mistake and losing the bronze to the Shibs. The Shibs also should not have to pay, but they are paying, and will have to work even harder likely just to make top five next year. S/S probably won't get back into the top 5 due to the politics as well as the depth in ice dance, not to mention the Russians' push to recapture the ice dance podium.

You mentioned something about the judges not "allowing" anymore NA sweeps of the podium. Likely the judges were just as surprised as everyone else about the outcome at last year's Worlds in ice dance. It was not planned. P/B were set for bronze, and W/P were not as strong last year as they have since become. The Shibs are very strong technically and performed very well to good programs last season. S/S were targeted politically this season to be marked down, plus their immaturity showed more in the Latin sd (although S/S worked very hard to improve all season -- in the end their focus on improving their Latin expression led to uncharacteristic technical mistakes in Nice).

Next season will likely be a toss-up, based on what kind of programs the top teams develop, how they each perform throughout the season, how much W/P continue to improve over the summer, what happens to P/B in terms of program development and training/ injury issues (hopefully they are finally rid of the "bandages" routine).

IMO, V/M and D/W are at the top of their respective "games" and if both teams stay with Z/S and continue to push each other and come up with unique programs that highlight their strengths and challenge themselves to reach further heights, I don't see other teams beating them. Of course, politics is always the deciding factor in the end. Plus, the "coming up with unique programs" as well as many other factors can affect what might happen. Until we see new programs for all the teams at the start of next season, we can continue speculating.

How wonderful for the Canadians to be supported by their fed and their government. The Canadians with their "own the podium" venture are backing up their politiking with money, and I guess that money helps the U.S. economy since Chan and V/M (their cream of the crop) train in the U.S.

10. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

I think if politics were such a deciding factor the judges wouldn't have been surprised at the outcome of last year's Worlds.

True, politics may sometimes be a factor, but as someone who remembers very well the egregious politiking in ice dance under 6.0, I'm very appreciative of the new judging system. It's not perfect, but so much better and a lot less political.

11. martyross

martyross New Member

and sometimes politics is in the eye of the beholder. :D

12. Bournekraatzfan

I agree, and I think freedom is a great word in this context. I think that their accomplishments this season will be a major confidence boost for W&P (and I am not just talking about placements but clean/relatively clean performances--they have really improved in terms of how they compete). And I believe that confidence will beget freedom...they'll learn to trust themselves even more and really let go. Their talent combined with their work ethic and desire to improve is a combination for success:)

13. Bournekraatzfan

Yes, the scoring in ice dance at Worlds differed from some of the scoring we saw earlier in the season (which makes sense given that judges don't always interpret guidelines the same way and teams improve at different rates throughout the season and are supposed to be judged on how they skate that day), but I don't think D&W are being given the shaft by the judges or being dumped for W&P. The callers at worlds were tougher on everyone. D&W received eight marks of 10.0 in their PCS for the FD, only one less than V&M...and the rest of the marks were very close. V&M did not unanimously win any category of the PCS (and D&W hadn't earlier this season either, so I don't understand why the marks at worlds were so shocking--the marks were close all season), and their GOEs were very similar to those of D&W. I love D&W and wanted them to get level 4s on those step sequences, but I didn't think they deserved them in the FD at this event. What we did see was a smaller gap in the marks between the top two teams and P&B + W&P than had previously existed. And we also saw W&P's score nearing the range of V&M at the Canadian Championships. and of course, there is the much-improved C&L who had an awesome season, as well as other strong teams like I&K, B&S and the Shibs (who unfortunately made mistakes at these worlds, but will likely return next season much better because of it) to name a few. Who knows what will happen next season? But W&P are, imo, capable of earning a medal based on their own merits. They are very, very talented.

Something that is so great to see is the growing confidence of Kaitlyn and Andrew. It is evident from the moment they step out onto the ice, and it must be very encouraging for them to see an increase in their scores that reflects the significant improvements they have made to their skating. Remember when they were being written off by some people? Well, they have answered their critics by increasing their speed, strengthening their edgework, and demonstrating greater stability in their positions (note Kaitlyn's core strength), all while taking their performance skills to the next level. I think they have righteously earned all the recognition they are getting this season, and I can't wait to see what they do next season.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  14. aftershocks

Yes, everything is in the "eye of the beholder," especially in figure skating. :)

Last season, the Shibs skated well and had great marks, but honestly who expected them to be on the podium? Who expected P/B to fall on an element and be marked down? Sure "politics" always plays a role, sometimes more, sometimes less. Certainly, politics entered into play big time after NA ice dance teams swept the 2011 podium. I'm sure many of the ice dance judges were spoken to or whispered to regarding the outcome, especially the fact that the Shibs were thought to be "undeserving" of bronze in many quarters... Ahem.

On the bright side, the ice dance competition at Worlds in Nice was so great with most of the top skaters performing excellently. On the down side, subjectivity and politics definitely played a role in the outcome. It simply can not be ignored that Canada was represented on the technical and judging panels while the U.S. was not. Nor can it be ignored that the Russians are pushing hard for podium spots in Sochi, in all disciplines, particularly ice dance, pairs, and ladies. The fact that P/B medaled and Joubert and Amodio placed high in Nice did have something to do with performing before their home crowd. I doubt that Artur Gachinski would have won bronze last year had Worlds not taken place in Russia penultimately.

Obviously, how skaters skate certainly counts, but all skaters know they can only skate their best and then wait in the kiss n' cry to see how they will be judged. Often skaters are surprised at high marks and/ or confused by low marks, or they nod their heads and wait to see if their marks will hold up.

15. puglover

puglover Active Member

Wait - Isn't this the Weaver and Poje thread? I hope the fan who suggested "Je Suis Malade" has given him/herself many, many pats on the back. I have no idea how they can can beat the heat of that one, but I can hardly wait for next season. Go Kaitlyn and Andrew!!

16. aftershocks

Yes, go Kaitlyn and Andrew! I am in love with this team. I also love D/W, and I enjoy watching so many of the teams. I hope Mitchell/ Islam and the Shibs will both come back strong next season.

A fan suggested Je Suis Malade? Perhaps W/P will listen to some of the music suggestions in this thread too. They have a great coaching team behind them.

17. Bournekraatzfan

I read that the fan who emailed them the suggestion was in the audience! He is from Latvia (Riga, I think) and travelled to Nice to watch them perform their FD. Can you imagine what an experience that must have been for him?

18. Bournekraatzfan

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that BKfan. I hadn't seen it before, but I have to admit that as pretty and attractive Kaitlyn is, I could not take my eyes from Andrew. Just goes to prove, an old lady can still admire youth and beauty :).........in a good way though.

20. Bournekraatzfan

That's understandable:)
    You are so lucky to have met them in person. They seem like really lovely people.

21. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

22. puglover

puglover Active Member

Wow, I love that. I understand their other number is to Je Suis Malade. I will admit I hesitated buying tickets to SOI this year but changed my mind when I knew they were skating. They have really kick-butt material - their competitive programs were my favourite this year. Me thinks - they're on a roll.

23. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

OMG that exhibition is amazeballs. They skate with such abandon. Plus, er, you know... his shirt being mostly open didn't hurt :shuffle:

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its look like you love traditional russian style in ice dance. :)
    This is funny - not russian team to use it, but canadians under Krylova - kudos to her! :)
    W-P show a lot off theatrical face expressions, wich didnt look naturally for me. This look like Anjelica face expression in "Carmen" ;). And they use it in all programs during this season.
    I must say i didnt like this exibition, because it show Keythlin posture not in good lights and this is sad. And overall in group numbers i could see how she is not so good like other girls (Joannie, Tessa) in skating.
    But i love there FD this season (most because they used the song, wich i during long time want to see in ice dance) and happy Canada at least have a team, who are not boring and use music, wich people love :D
    But i always prefer better skating to unnatural emothoins and even in 1998 i loved B-K FD most :D

25. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I think Shae-Lynn Bourne did it, I remember seeing it on twitter. And aww I know I'm not really keen on V/M's Ain't No Mountain High, but their Hallelujah is amazing!!

26. martyross

martyross New Member

mmh, Weaver-Poje are the "pop" team of the moment, a bit like Bourne & Kraatz in the past :) and while they're obviously very very good, i wonder if at times they get a bit overrated for some kind of reputation reason, i mean, for being always perceived as the underdogs, for choosing the "right" music and for being coached by the team who is currently challenging the overpower of the not-so-loved Shpilband/Zoueva. :) by no means i want to put down the couple saying this though :) also, not a fan of Bourne's choreographic style, because nowadays it's not "new" anymore, but it's probably a matter of taste.

27. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I kinda wondered if it might have been Shae who did it. There were certain parts that looked very much like how she would skate/choreograph.

Pani, I don't know what you're talking about. This program doesn't look Russian at all to me.

Shayii, I agree that Hallelujah is great. The other one, not so much. :p

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I like Bourne chore for Kiira Korpie this season.

29. martyross

martyross New Member

i think with Russian she meant the flamboyant-modernish style of the 90's, but yes, actually it's the "rock" style of Bourne :)
    well, an ex piece musn't be necessarily great like the competition ones :) they are done for the summer shows when the skaters don't want to spend many energies and rest a bit :)

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I am talking about overall W-P style- over top face expression and over top drama even in exibitions :D
    But i agree - its matter of taste.
    And isnt this is great this style retun again?
    Its really interesting what will be next in Krylova group. She have two teams, who look very similar - W-P and H-D. And she have now 14 teams. So for me its question of the next seasin - could this group will be om top and show something fresh?
    Honestly W-P made lifts, wich Shae-Lynn and Anjelika did ;) So i cant wait to see something new in next season from them. And will she improve her posture and skating? She did a lot of job, but need to do more for been on top.