Weaver and Poje their time is now

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sliver98, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings. W/P had much better programs this year than last and have boosted their musical interpretation a lot. They have gotten their levels up and are maxing them out so they are good there. Plus they are so freakin hot, how can you not root for 'em?

But two things concern me:
    1. I don't find them to be as adept on the blade as some other pairs in terms of handling complex footwork and choreo. Their edges are deep but they seem to be careful skaters to me. Their twizzles are careful and slow compared to others. They have compensated by upping their musical interpretation.
    2. The top 8 or so entries are bunching up in the marks and I'm not 100% sure why. The devil in me thinks it's the gradual process to create a changing of the guard in dance. I say that diplomatically. I don't think we'll see 3 NA teams on the podium in Sochi so something's going to give. I just have a feeling that W/P will be passed and likely by a Russian team if not also by others.

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I actually think it is Davis & White they are preparing to give the shaft too. I could see D&W experience what Belbin & Agosto did at their 2nd Olympics. I see W&P and 1 or 2 Russian teams passing them by Sochi.

3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1. I tend to agree.

2. This is a really fascinating discussion. I think that might be the intent (prevent a North American sweep) but bunching up the marks actually might accomplish the opposite - vis-a-vis levels becoming a heck of a lot more determinative.

4. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

As I recall, their big dream had been to attend the Olympics. That is why they were very dissappointed when they didn't make the Vancouver 2010 team. According to this recent interview, they appear to have updated their dreams to include winning Olympics and World medals, and touring with Stars on Ice. It seems they are getting the CSOI goal this year. Barring injury, I seriously doubt there is any chance they would choose to skip Sochi.

http://fskating.com/2012/03/kaitlyn...-include-winning-world-and-olympic-medal.html

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. elle123

elle123 Member

6. judgejudy27

They already allowed a NA sweep with the Shibutanis of all people so I think they would definitely allow it to happen again. I think they were willing to have it happen in Vancouver except they didnt like Belbin & Agosto much by that point, and felt even subpar Domnina & Shabalin were better.

7. smartblade

smartblade New Member

Luckily, Weaver and Poje are under the "own the podium" program... they are getting financial assistance from the government to help them excel further. (virtue/moir, duhamel/radford, and chan are also under otp)

8. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I agree, and this is why I thought P&B definitely deserved the bronze. To me, the difference in their skating skills was clear, and this affects many aspects of the total score. But, I also wonder how much of a confidence boost this season will give them, given how consistent they were and how much attention/respect they received from the skating community. They seem to be building their confidence, and once that is there, skaters are better able to push themselves and explore their skills, imo. They are young, hard-working, and have a great training environment. I'd like to think anything is possible:)

9. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

I'm not saying DW won't get shafted. But it won't be W/P that'll pass D/W simply because V/M's still not retired yet. But a russian team pass them by is a lot more plausible. It's ice dancing. Unless there's major mistakes by top teams. It's like D/W waited longer to get to the top than V/M because B/A was there for many more years than D/L.

Although in my heart, I really really really want W/P to get on the podium next year and get to the top in 2014. I can dream haha!

10. martyross

martyross Active Member

With russian team you mean I-K, right? Next year with worlds in canada, i don't think judges will have the nerve to place them ahead of WP. And i guess PB are not retiring, so a repeat of 5th is likely. The thing is, they could surpass WP..politically, but what about PB, who are far more experienced and established? Maybe the key will be to see if they retire,leaving the door open for the russians. Doesn't Russia want a medal in each discipline?

11. judgejudy27

Rightly or wrongly there seems to be a fair amount of negative press surrounding P/B lately. I think with no more major events in France, Worlds in Canada, and Olympics in Russia, it leaves the door wide open for them to be dumped well down should they continue, especialy as the younger teams will keep improving and they likely are peaked.

I also dont think the existence of V/M prevents W/P from the possability of passing D/W or moving up. I dont think the judges have any problem with 2 Canadian medalists (or 3 NA medalists) if the teams are good enough. They already allowed 3 NA medalists and 2 American medalists at the 2011 Worlds and that was with an IMHO rather blah juniorish team.

12. Yukari Lepisto

That happened only because of the major mistakes by the other teams supposedly to be ahead of Shibutanis. And i said earlier that unless major mistakes happen, that won't happen.

As far as P/B, i totally agree that they are likely to be dumped. IMO, the podium at sochi will be 1 canadian team, 1 american team, and 1 russian team again, but the placement is unsure.

13. judgejudy27

P/B were the only ones to make a major mistake at the 2011 Worlds. They certainly didnt have to give the Shibutanis the bronze, they could have easily given it to Weaver & Poje, a Russian team, or even still to Pechalat & Bourzat considering their PCS and protocal were far beyond the others behind at that point and they managed to beat those others I mentioned anyway. They still chose to go with the Shibutanis.

If they are willing to do that for the Shibutanis I have no doubt they would be willing to do that for Weaver & Poje, be it putting 2 Canadian teams on the podium, putting 3 NA teams on the podium, or even dropping Davis & White.

14. Yukari Lepisto

^^ Why not dropping V/M??

And I'm sure the judges all learned by now, as we can tell from this year's worlds. won't be two teams from the same country on the podium.

15. judgejudy27

Since they are really the best team and the hardest to drop. Plus they are the judges favorite team too. Unless they make a major mistake like the GP final or are coming off an injury like Worlds last year they wont lose anytime again until their likely retirement after the 2014 season IMHO. That or they make the bold move to leave the Sphilband camp and it backfires Sphilband and Zoueva start to politik hard against them.

With Worlds being in Ontario next year I will be shocked if Weaver & Poje dont win atleast the bronze, barring a major error. Whether that means a NA sweep or not it will happen IMO.

16. Yukari Lepisto

^^ Judges fav. I agree. Best team, hell no, I for one, think W/P are way better than V/M and more ice-dancy. There's this emotion and passion that V/M just lack, Tessa just smiles in all their programs.

But just watch, they won't win olympics again in Sochi, who will win i'm not sure though.

17. judgejudy27

Technically they might not be the best team anymore (Davis & White probably are now) but artistically they are definitely the strongest team at this point IMO. Who knows, maybe someone new would win in Sochi, and who knows if that would be Davis & White, a Russian team, or even Weaver & Poje (anyone but the Shibutanis, if that happens I think I will barf). I just dont agree the judges will not allow 3 NA teams or 2 Canadian teams on the podium. I could see either of those happening, especiay the latter. Especialy at Worlds in Canada next year.

18. Yukari Lepisto

I seriously don't understand how V/M are the most artistic team, as Tessa just smiles in all their program. while team like W/P bring out the raw emotions and passion. how is that nor better artistically? and bring people to tears with their programs.

19. judgejudy27

OK let me reword myself. Between Virtue & Moir and Davis & White I think D&W have surpassed V&M technically (even though the scores dont really reflect that) but V&M are still stronger than D&W artistically. I agree that Weaver & Poje probably had the artistically best programs and performances of all the teams at Worlds, but predictably werent really rewarded for it. With Worlds in Ontario next year I dont see how they cant be if they skate as well and keep improving though, atleast enough to get a medal.

20. Yukari Lepisto

Well I certainly hope you're right about them on the podium next year! However, i still think being Canadian #2 plays a major factor. If they were canadian #1 this year, they'd be on the podium for sure. as many thought they should've placed ahead of P/B anyways. Of course home crowd played a huge factor, but being canadian #2 also a big factor. IMO

Remember D/W at 2009 worlds? That worlds was in USA. i think you get my point. :)

21. martyross

martyross Active Member

Tiers - art. Smile - not art. Yuk!

22. martyross

martyross Active Member

Btw, funny face has three different sections,which means three different smiles.Actually the variety is even bigger. But i understand that people prefers grieving rather than smiling:D

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

How is smiling inartistic?

24. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I adore W/P as much as anyone, but saying they're better than V/M is just silly. And Tessa didn't smile through Farracus. Or Mahler. Or Hip Hip Chin Chin.

25. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Also I don't get why people think D/W surpassed V/M technically when three out of three competitions they lost to V/M in TES. Ability to appear skating fast is not really technically superior.

26. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

:lol:

It's three different characters, too, much like, say, Anna Torv in Fringe. :D That from the chin up, from the chin down, there are also arms which move and finger groupings and free leg extensions, etc. I am sure Tessa has nothing to do with any of this. They move on their own while she's merely there, smiling.

27. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Lol it has it's benefits, though. Sometimes D/W skate so fast it's almost impossible to tell how sloppy they are. It's a good thing the judges in Nice saw through that one. ;)

28. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

This is a Weaver/Poje thread. :)

Getting back to W/P. I like them a lot! Every year they've shown great improvement and I would love for them to be on the podium at Worlds 2013.

29. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Was listening to the soundtrack of Love Never Dies and heard this and immediately thought of Weaver & Poje.

It is the 'Coney Island Waltz' and would be pretty cool used with a polka for their SD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgSQDBrDbKk

I rewatched the FD's from World's and W&P's FD is definitely my favourite of this season, followed by P&B.

I really hope they are on the podium in London. I am so there for the FD. Gotta get in touch with my best friend's family to stay at their place but so excited that I will finally be able to see a World Championship live.

Would love to see W&P & V&M on the podium together there.

30. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Today is Kaitlyn's birthday, Happy Birthday Kaitlyn!!!! :)