Weaver and Poje their time is now

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sliver98, Oct 22, 2011.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I think you need to read my post a bit closer. My "negative reaction" to Fabian and Nathalie's Bronze has nothing to do w/them and everything to do w/how they were judged and, I hate to break it to you, but I never did say it was a home country medal. That is what's being said in other places by other people however and also that due to Worlds being in Canada next year, Kaitlyn and Andrew will get their Medal then.

My problem w/what happened has nothing to do w/the skaters and everything to do w/the judging of the event. When it's been pointed so much how important the twizzles are in the Dance event, one of the two of the team falls out of them in the SD, a required element, and said SD was also very cautious for very understandable reasons, but still cautious in performance. You put that beside Kaitlyn and Andrew's not a skate blade wrong SD and..If it was a point difference of a point or so after all was said and done in the SD between Fabian/Nathalie and Kaitlyn/Andrew, that I would have understood and that would have been fair. A three point difference though? No, that I didn't and still don't understand it.

I can't be happy for Fabian and Nathalie's long overdue medal just because there is that whiff of suspect judging there and for two hard working, classy and never heard a bad thing about people and skaters, that's beyond a shame. Also hurts the sport again because once again, people are wondering about the judging in skating and if it's fair.

That does no one or the sport any good.

2. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I agree, their musical expression is, for me, the best of them all. I mean, really, them ALL.

I was thinking back on some the range of their acting abilities, and dinakt I agree with you about the sincerity of their expression, which is especially amazing when seen in so many different types of dances (last year's At Last, this year's SD. I mean, they made campy Moulin somehow work for me. Aaaand they also made Phantom work for me too.)

I always liked this team but never really considered them. But they snuck in and had me fall in love with them.

WP reminded me about what makes figure skating so magical. It's not always as simple as a great skate, even if the skate is technically masterful and interpreted well. There are those very special skates and skaters that take it to another level, I mean truly transcendent, wherein I'm suddenly not thinking at all, just feeling, and my imagination has been reawakened. Some skaters have a passion for the sport, and they're beautiful skaters. And some skaters have a passion for the artform on an intrinsic, basic need sort of level...and that's when it's just magic.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Their Phantom was my personal favourite out of all the PotO programs we got for 09-10 Season. Also loved how they were the only ones who used the music box rendition of Masquerade in their program. AFAIK, they're the only ones I've seen use it in their program I've seen over the years.

It just cast such a spell in the arena at 09 Skate Canada in K-W and really was such a special program. A shame it never got skated at the Olympics. :(

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Chipping in here to say that I think I only saw W&P's SD from one of the GP event and hadn't seen their FD up until yesterday. It really blew me away. Lovely expression (I overuse that word) and emotion and was a really beautiful program. The music was great for them and they used it so well. A pleasure to watch.

Sometimes it is good not to watch skaters throughout the season and then see them at the best moment. Makes it special and memorable.

5. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

W/P are great and are going in the right direction improving all the time.I don't think they will get on the worlds podium till after olympics when maybe V/M P/B and maybe D/W retire.Then I expect W/P and I/K/ to battle it out as the top two couples IMO .:)

6. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Weaver/Poje on two great skates at Worlds. I continue to be impressed by their improvement over the last two seasons. They also have learned how to compete as well as they practice. Great to see.

Their placement here should help continue to bolster their reputation with the Canadian judges. They may need that next season given what I think has been a definite tendency in past years for Canadian judges to undermark them compared to more favoured skaters. (That's my opinion only, at it may be an incorrect perception of Canadian judges, but it certainly has appeared like that to me over the past few years).

However, it's that same lack of favouritism that has forced them to become the great skaters they are today, so in the end it turned out to be a good thing.

7. elle123

elle123 New Member

You know it's a great skate when the commentators don't do any commentating during the program. :) And I loved that Angelika cried.

Seriously! And I don't agree that the music made either W/P or D/W seem better than they actually are. They're both great skaters with great choreographers/coaches - if they weren't, the music would just wash them out.

I do feel Fabian and Nathalie deserved the bronze although I thought the margin would be by a less. Regardless, good for them.

8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

What?!!!!!! No Weaver and Poje in the Gala. That's so disappointing!!!! I wonder why.:(

9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

What? There's nothing bitter about that. How about watch W/P on mute and see if their program looks as good as D/W, and you will see that's a ridiculous statement. D/W are not "carried" by their music either, which is definitely the impression I got with W/P.

10. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

LG, we get it. In your opinion no one is as good in D/W and since THIS is a thread about W/P And there are many who beg to differ about the music carrying D/W, why don't you do us all a favour and take your negative posts elsewhere. Please.

11. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

Kaitlin and Andrew did a beautiful gala program!! Vole de Céline Dion!!!:)

12. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes....I was releived to see them there in the gala. Wonderful program.

13. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I wasn't the one who compared W/P to D/W, it was brought up after my original statement which said nothing about D/W. I simply compared W/P to the compliments they have been getting, after watching their program, and didn't feel impressed as the overblown comments I've been reading. It has nothing to do with D/W. W/P's music was great, but are they the next big thing as far as technical ability? I'm just not seeing it. From the perspective of watching their program with the music, I can definitely see, though, how everyone can get carried away with how great they are, because it's an emotional piece.

14. Bue

Bue New Member

Shame about Celine :yikes: but it was a gorgeous program.

W/P are the Eurosport guys' newest obsession. They are gushing :D

15. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I think W/P are everyone's new obsession. :D They had the crowd (and the commentators) eating out of their hands is Nice. By far the best I've even seen W/P skate. I have my own issues with their placement behind the French, but besides that an amazing competition for them. I honestly think they stole the show in the FD. If I were V/M and D/W, I'd be looking behind me and getting worried. I think W/P may be the only team capable of challenging them (maybe not quite yet, but soon). Fantastic!

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  16. elle123

elle123 New Member

It boggles me the amount of people who come into uber threads to criticize. I'm not sure they understand the point of an uber thread.

17. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I loved Kaitlyn and Andrew's gala program so much.. it reminds me of Joannie's tribute skate to her mom at the Gala during the Olympics though, which makes me sad.

18. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Weaver & Poje will win the silver medal at Worlds next year behind Virtue & Moir. A 1-2 finish for Canada.

19. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Interesting - because that's the impression I got with D&W... :shuffle:

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Well that would be very nice, but I wouldn't make any predictions at this point in time; however, it's not an impossibillity for certain, but they definitely are challengers for the bronze (as they were this year). I definitely would like to see 3 North American teams on the podium (2 of them Canadian of course ;)).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  21. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The 4th place team in 2008 was Belbin/Agosto. They won silver the following year.

The 4th place team in 2009 was Davis/White. They won silver the following year.

Maybe W/P follow them as opposed to P/B, who were fourth two years running.

22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I could see history repeating itself.

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Oops, I meant to say "May W/P follow them," not "Maybe."

I would love a 1-2 finish next year. Hopefully with programs as good as the ones W/P had this season.

24. blademate

blademate Member

Love Weaver and Poje but still cannot believe they will likely win a world medal before Poirier...

What a difference a few years can make!

25. whoa

whoa Member

It's truly incredible! I wouldn't have expected this to happen just two years ago.

26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I know they didn't get the medal they deserved (not that P&B didn't deserve theirs), but did they at least receive some cash for coming in 4th, and if so, how much does a 4th placement get. I don't keep track of these things but certainly some $$$ would help with their training/living costs.

27. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I would like to see the Short Dance & Free Dance split into two different competitions.
    That way W/P would have won Gold in the Free Dance :D

28. sequins

sequins New Member

Do you think there's any chance W/P would stay on until after Sochi? Not sure I've really heard them discuss their 'plan' but it would be nice if they did. At least for a one or two more seasons to get that World Title.

29. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

At the rate they're continuing to improve, and how much it seems they love to skate and compete, I'd say it is VERY likely they will continue. That's, of course, mostly wishful thinking.

30. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings. W/P had much better programs this year than last and have boosted their musical interpretation a lot. They have gotten their levels up and are maxing them out so they are good there. Plus they are so freakin hot, how can you not root for 'em?

But two things concern me:
    1. I don't find them to be as adept on the blade as some other pairs in terms of handling complex footwork and choreo. Their edges are deep but they seem to be careful skaters to me. Their twizzles are careful and slow compared to others. They have compensated by upping their musical interpretation.
    2. The top 8 or so entries are bunching up in the marks and I'm not 100% sure why. The devil in me thinks it's the gradual process to create a changing of the guard in dance. I say that diplomatically. I don't think we'll see 3 NA teams on the podium in Sochi so something's going to give. I just have a feeling that W/P will be passed and likely by a Russian team if not also by others.