1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weaver and Poje #2: From Buenos Aires to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marta24, Jan 12, 2014.

1. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Totally agree, Marie M. To me, Usova/Zhulin still own this music, even after 22 years. W/P's version is getting better but pales in comparison. However, younger fans doubtless haven't seen U/Z's program and won't be bothered by the comparison like us oldies. :)

2. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

I loved U/Z's Four Seasons, I guess it doesn't bother me as much because nobody else has dared with it since then. ;)

This is a different cut and a more literal approach to the music, nothing will beat the moving statues. This is just the state of ice dance we are in today, but if it were say Bach instead maybe it would be more universally pleasant.

We also have Radionova using the Kwan, so it's there at every angle this year.

But TBH it's nice to see a no vocals, classical pretty dance in general. The ice dancers have had the vocals allowed for over 10 years, and now that singles can use them we are seeing more traditional choices from all of the top dance teams. :lol: It's smart and I like it!

3. TRAxel

TRAxel Active Member

Congratulations to Kaityn & Andrew for winning both of thier Grand Prix events, best of luck to them at the GPF!

paskatefan likes this.
  4. hirtmoles31

hirtmoles31 Active Member

Hope they win the GPF. They totally deserve it more than anyone else!

juliajk, clarie, lauravvv and 2 others like this.
  5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

It would be weird if they did. Tessa and Scott never won one (when they actually should have)

supergirl573 likes this.
  6. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Since TS are not skating it makes no difference....

lauravvv and TRAxel like this.
  7. TRAxel

TRAxel Active Member

That would only make thier win sweeter for me. No offence to T&S but they are irrelevant this season ;)

juliajk likes this.
  8. Marta24

Marta24 Well-Known Member

Yay, Kaitlyn & Andrew! :cheer2: Awesome SD and they have a margin over 6 points and most importantly they won clearly the PCS :D

They could become the first Canadian couple to win the GPF since 2001!

TRAxel and clarie like this.
  9. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

For me, the best this evening but not by 6 marks.

lmarie086 likes this.
  10. hirtmoles31

Considering the next 2 best teams- Chock & Bates and Papadakis & Cizeron had major mistakes, and W&P would have fully deserved atleast a 3 point lead even had all been perfect, they were easily the best by atleast 6 points. They certainly were the full 6 points or more better than a subpar Chock & Bates who are in 2nd, but C&B probably shouldnt even be in 2nd at all.

TRAxel likes this.
  11. PashaFan

I thought the Shibs were unlucky & on a par with W/P.
    The guys on Eurosport pretty much said the same.
    It's a joke that C/B could have such a major fall & still get those marks.

12. hirtmoles31

W&P are artistically so far superior to the Shibutanis, that even if technically they are relatively close, W&P will always come out ahead. The only joke or injustice ever between them was W&P losing the bronze to the Shibutanis in 2011 not on TES, but on PCS. I would have the Shibs 5 points back instead of 8 only.

I agree the Shibs totally should be ahead of C&B given how both skated, but it is clear who U.S #1 politically is, so this was no surprise. Dance rules are stupid anyway as you can fall on an element and still get 0s or +1s since it is only part of the element.

13. PashaFan

Artistry is personal preference, so everybody's opinion is different.
    I said earlier in the season that W/P SD is the best from an artistic point of view-for me. Technically they were about the same for me this evening.

14. hirtmoles31

Technically their score wasnt far ahead of the Shibs. The huge difference was in PCS (and IMO fully justified). W&P clearly hit all their levels and did all elements very well today so I understand their winning the TES too, even though the Shibutanis and even Gilles & Poirier also had strong technical skates. W&P handily beat C&B today in both TES and PCS, again IMO fully justified and the perennialy overscored C&B were inflated/held up and should be much further behind W&P if anything.

15. PashaFan

But that's what I said. The fact that C/B are in 2nd place after such a bad fall is just wrong.

16. TRAxel

TRAxel Active Member

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Congrats to W/P on their 1st place in the SD. They are exactly where they should be and I hope they stay there to win overall :)

TRAxel likes this.
  18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

And another congrats to them for winning the FD to become GP Champions in Ice dance this year. I'm thrilled for them.

19. TRAxel

TRAxel Active Member

Fanfreakingtastic!

paskatefan likes this.
  20. Marta24

GPF CHAMPION!!! Yeah,baby! Woot! :40beers::cheer2::encore:

paskatefan likes this.
  21. hirtmoles31

Congrats to Weaver & Poje!

22. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Congratulations to them.

IMO they've taken their skating to a whole new level this season. Although I have loved their character pieces, their free dance shows that they are now good enough to win just with pure, wonderful skating.

I loved them as a team from the first time I saw them. That's happened with a few other teams, too, but many of those teams never achieved their potential. Kaitlyn and Andrew are, and it's such a joy to see that.

TRAxel, beebee and clarie like this.
  23. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

What a simply sparkling competition for these two. It's so-o-o-o sweet to see them skating so beautifully .. and getting full credit for it ! I'm delighted ! :cheer2::encore::cheer2:

TRAxel and paskatefan like this.
  24. Marta24

I`m so happy that they finally get the judges`s love for what they are doing. Their Tango FD was never rewarded enough last year.

LilJen, TRAxel, girlscouse62 and 2 others like this.
  25. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

They were not only the best ice dance team at the GPF, but the best looking, best dressed!

26. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Banned Member

So excited to see them be so dominant at the final. I am sure this is their year to win worlds!

girlscouse62 and clarie like this.
  27. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

From your lips to the Skating Gods' ears. ;)..Yes, please...

28. itoaxel

itoaxel Banned Member

Gilles & Poirier are a huge threat to them at Canadians.

29. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

In your dreams!

30. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

:rofl: