Weaver and Poje #2: From Buenos Aires to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marta24, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

Just hit the Edit button in the lower left corner of your post and move your reply to after the [/QUOTE] tag.

ETA: Your incomplete "quote]" tag at the end of the first paragraph is why the quoted part didn't format properly.

2. beebee

beebee Active Member

Got it! Thanks Sylvia!!

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know about all the emote critiques. I found the former Bestemianova/ Bukin to be absolutely OTT. Sure it was hard for viewers to look away from them on the ice, but in the same way it's hard for rubberneckers to stop slowing down and craning their necks to get a good eyefull when passing a car crash. :p

I really love watching Weaver/Poje perform together. I can feel their desire and intensity. I know V/M may have better this and better that, and V/M connect and skate technically and artistically par excellence, and they are as lovely and stellar as fine wine, but I've never been drawn to V/M the way I'm drawn to W/P, D/W, the Shibs, Hawayek/Baker, and others. It's just different strokes for different folks I guess.

Anyways, Kaitlyn is beautiful and kind like Rapunzel in the tower, and Andrew is her very handsome white/ dark knight. It's okay by me if Andrew broods like Heathcliff and can't emote his way out of a paper bag. I can feel his hidden depths. Andrew Poje is a freakin' stud! Eh, PeterG? :D

4. FelicitySmoak

FelicitySmoak Member

I find Jenny & Dave to be the "Enquirer" of skating critiques, they snark more than anything and hey... that's cool if that's what they're aiming for. I tend to listen to the critique of credible critics, because even though Weapo are my favourite ice dance team... I can take decent & credible critique from more reliable sources as no skater walks on water (ok, well they all skate on frozen water, but that's besides the point) :D

Jeanne7 likes this.
  5. beebee

beebee Active Member

FelicitySmoak, your point is very well taken. No one is above reproach, but in your words, we can expect the critique to be decent and credible. I'm just so puzzled as to where Kirk's comment about W/Ps lack of connection came from. IMO, it is a most unlikely area in which to criticize them. To the best of my knowledge, Jenny has never before voiced this criticism of W/P. Added to that, I was surprised that she prefaced her remarks by saying W/P were "ripped off" at the Olympics and just left it at that without expounding.

I know this will sound really paranoid, but after my initial shock over her seemingly out of left field "connection" remark wore off, all I could think of was Conspiracy Theory--in other words, who put Jenny up to saying this? Not saying it's true, but the thought honestly occurred to me. I hope someone will tell me I'm being ridiculous :)

Funny that you call Kirk and Lease the "Enquirer" of skating critiques. I guess their remarks about the skaters are their opinions and they are free to voice them, but it is ironic that the Enquirer often gets sued for libel--and they sometimes lose the case. TSL may not be sladerous, but to me it is truly mean spirited.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  6. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I think we've seen this scenario played out before. Hopefully Skate Canada is a bit more awake, and much more assertive, this time around.

7. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I too was a little surprised by Jenny saying W/P were ripped off at the Olympics. I think the consensus has been that if anyone was ripped off, it was Pechalat/Bourzat. I thought W/P skated okay but not great in Sochi. There was just something a little bit lacking--I actually enjoyed W/P's free dance more earlier in the season; it seemed to have lost some oomph by Sochi.

8. beebee

beebee Active Member

They were totally ripped off in the SD at Olympics. I thought they came back with great intensity in their FD.

TRAxel, FelicitySmoak and Pratfall like this.
  9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

falling_dance and orientalplane like this.
  10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

They were ripped off of 5th place maybe. They certainly didn't deserve a medal. Their SD performance was relatively poor, even if hit too hard. I didn't see the interview (and dont follow TSL anymore, nor plan to ever again) so cant speak to whether Jenny & Dave meant a higher placement or a medal. If they meant the former they are probably right, no way they should have finished behind B&S for instance. If they meant the latter they are bat crazy.

I don't think there is any consensus P&B were ripped off either. Only from a few of their homers frusterated with their bad luck over the years. I think the strong consensus is that Illnykh & Katasalapov, even if probably overscored, did earn their bronze and skated to well not to have gotten it (especialy on home ice). The only place P&B were possibly robbed was worlds, not the Olympics.

11. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Skate Canada is upon us!

Anyone watching the practice live stream?

12. geoskate

Their short dance from Skate Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yH2TcRShVo

Their score was 68.61, with a 1-point deduction for an extended lift. That's a 3-point improvement from Nebelhorn, or 4 points if you ignore the lift deduction, which will be fixed. It appears the judges like this short dance. (I certainly do too).

13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I like it very much as well. They have really evolved these last few years. I like most of their choices of music so far as it's something different all the time so they are challenging themselves, and meeting their challenges. :)

Corianna likes this.
  14. geoskate

15. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

The SD seems bland to me but I think the FD will be another masterpiece in another month or two. I love its speed and lightness and hints of romance, nothing that hits you over the head but with all the short sections it was like memories of youth or fragments of poetry ... truly beautiful, and perfect for them.

Xiaoxue and JasperBoy like this.
  16. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Active Member

I am a bit worried their scores were almost the same as Chock & Bates from Skate America. Both were probably overscored a bit by home ice so that evens out too. Chock & Bates are a major threat to them this year it seems, and we haven't even seen the Italians, Bobrova & Soloviev (much later), and the 2 new Russian teams yet.

17. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Active Member

Excited they finally won their first grand prix though. They should easily win their 2nd at NHK later this year too, and win atleast the bronze at the grand prix final with Bobrova & Soloviev not there.

18. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

I love the choreography at the end of their free dance, the low glide around edge to that note is :swoon: one of those rare musical choreographic moments that actually meshes with the music.

They need to polish up the middle and the twizzles quite a bit, but if all of the seasons can look like the last one then their forecast is very bright for Worlds. :summer:

(Terry Gannon voice)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  19. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I'm SO proud of them!

A very well deserved victory at long last, with two beautiful skates. I think they're going to have a very, very good year.

They're bright lights in a season that is looking like it's going to be a tough one for true dance fans.

20. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

On my way home, after Skate Canada. I really liked their SD, the young Russian couple did quite well in the short. Paul and Piper would have had good marks in the SD if Paul hadn't blown the twizzles. The FD is not quite there for me. I think they need new lifts, IMO. Their skating certainly has a finesse that was lacking a few years ago. But it was so good to see them come away with their first GP gold. They were absolutely radiant in the gala programme.

21. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

22. ichiro

ichiro Active Member

Is it too late for W/P to scrap the SD? I really wanted to like the SD but I think the music is way to heavy for them. I don't see anything that feels latin or any really strong Paso moves/shapes. Fingers crossed for GPF gold and Worlds.

23. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

My 2 favourite SDs this year are H/D(Esp.) and P/C followed by WP's .. to each their own I guess. ;)

TRAxel likes this.
  24. TRAxel

TRAxel Active Member

I love their SD! The costumes are to die for! Like @Pratfall said, to each their own.

clarie likes this.
  25. chapis

chapis Active Member

I love both of their programs :cheer2:

clarie likes this.
  26. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I think their SD is the best one this season. It really captures the theme but I just can't warm to the FD yet.
    Maybe come the GPF I can. I would like a costume change. Her dress is lovely but for me it does not suit the FD.

27. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Nicky was not liking their costumes either .I think I agree with him about Andrew's short sleeved top , it didn't look right somehow.I quite liked Kaitlyn's Pink first FD dress.

PashaFan likes this.
  28. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

I've decided after NHK that if P/C don't win the Worlds, this FD by Kaitlyn and Andrew is the only healthy alternative. :summer:

Kaitlyn has found the right look with the hair and dress, I think it's perfect. This program shows the work she's put into her line and posture these past few years without being distracting with OTT facials (to match the drama of the music).

There are moments in the middle where the matching leg lines are really effective, love the ending still the most with that glide to the note. Overall this program is starting to take shape and with more speed and attack I think I'm going to love it by the end of the year. The improvement to line and posture is evident, and this classical approach really shows it off. Andrew needs a new costume, but overall I'm really feeling Kaitlyns improvements and love this program on her. :)

29. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Agree Andrew needs a new costume! That said, I love their programs and like the classical look on them.

30. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Only problem is that when Zhulin is in the rink, I can only think of his four seasons. And the comparison is not favoring them !
    I still hope the program will gel better by worlds.

clairecloutier likes this.