Weaver and Poje #2: From Buenos Aires to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marta24, Jan 12, 2014.

1. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

They're seriously adorable :)

2. skatingfan04

beebee likes this.
  3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Terrific....can't wait to see those programs. Thanks for posting skatingfan04

4. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Woohoo! I am so excited, I just got an all-events pass for Skate Canada international in kelowna. First ever live completion I will get to see.

5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

And I'll be seeing them again in Jan. at Nats. With V/M gone, they move to the top of my leader board....along with P/I for a second spot.

6. skatingfan04

Congrats! You're going to have so much fun! My first ever live competition was 2011 Skate Canada, and it was the most incredible experience. I can distinctly remember the moment I fell in love with W/P in the free dance of that comp. If you think you're a fan now, wait until you see skating live.

7. skatingfan04

Me too! I'm super excited for the Canadian Champinships this season, as I will also be making the trip to Kingston to watch them live. I'm so glad that even with V/M gone, we have two such sublime teams to root for!

FelicitySmoak and clarie like this.
  8. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Nap time ! I'm going to be getting up in the middle of my night to catch the SD at Nebelhorn. Hope I can sleep a bit first. lay it down , guys.

9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I really liked their SD.....so I can't wait to see it with a little more mileage on it at Nats. Bring it on W/P!!!!

FelicitySmoak likes this.
  10. girlscouse62

I get to see them live at skate Canada. I have been watching figure skating since the late 1950's and it is my first live competition. I am so excited!

quartz and The Accordion like this.
  11. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

FelicitySmoak and alilou like this.
  12. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Congrats to WP on a great first showing.
    This dance was made for him.....he looked so hot!

13. skatingfan04

That's a really great SD! Things to refine, of course, but I see the makings of a really great program here!

Any idea why they got the choreographic violation penalty? The new rules are confusing me a bit TBH, and I couldn't figure out what they did wrong.

girlscouse62 likes this.
  14. FelicitySmoak

FelicitySmoak Member

The new SD is fierce & sophisticated! Can't wait to see it with mileage :D

The deduction was touched upon in this article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/09/25/96339046?tcid=tw_share

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  15. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I loved, loved, loved the short dance. Andrew, in particular, is skating like I have never seen him skate before. This could develop into something spectacular by the end of the season.

(And hopefully videos from future competitions won't have the distortion of the music that is evident in all the Youtube videos of this program from Nebelhorn).

16. FelicitySmoak

FelicitySmoak Member

Here is the link to their SD from the Live Stream site... maybe it works better? http://new.livestream.com/accounts/10053677/events/3397094/videos/63077175

17. girlscouse62

Ci have to say I think they have grown exponentially in this last couple of years. I thought it was a great first showing. If they are doing this well already, it certainly bodes well for future competition. Loved it.

18. skatingfan04

Well, I'm 100% sold on their new FD. :biggrinbo Wow. The intricacy is amazing, and their movements were so soft and controlled. The entire program was ethereal. I'm even in love with the costumes. Andrew looks majestic, and Kaitlyn looks like a woodland fairy. Obviously something went wrong on that last choreographic lift/spin, and there are kinks to iron out, but wow. This program is going to be a real knockout once they've put some miles on it. I'm so happy and so impressed.

19. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

W/P were absolutely gorgeous .The costumes were beautiful and the programme was something different to what they've done before It will be exquisite at worlds!

20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Well, the SD was good. As for the FD, it is intricate and lovely indeed, the music is beautiful, and overall I like it. But there are several things that I am disappointed about. I think to use the same lift three seasons in a row is too much even if it's great and their "trademark". Also, so many ice dancers, including lower level ones, are using those her standing on her partner's knee variation lifts that it is getting really boring too. The new lift is beautiful, though. Then, I think they and the coaches could have thought about some other spin positions that would have better speed for them. And I had hoped that they were going to work on their twizzles, as they, although okay, are still one of the weak points for W/P (in my opinion), especially for Kaitlyn. But here the twizzles were slower than usual. Finally, did they really have to go and use Usova/Zhulin's movement from their 'Four Seasons' FD for the choreographic spin/lift? Plus, of course I am disappointed that they scored lower than Chock/Bates in the FD. I haven't seen the protocols yet, so I don't know what was the problem, but they very likely received some lower levels. So I am really hoping for improvements, and possibly even for at least one new lift as the season continues.

Edit: I see now that they got level 2 for their spin (it did look suspect, to be honest), level 3 for the rotational lift, and also some lower GOE than Chock/Bates on their spins and also on lifts. That's unfortunate about the lifts, as Kaitlyn and Andrew are usually very good at lifts. In any case, I see that this season is not going to be an easy ride for them, and that World Championships gold, while certainly within reach, is in no way guaranteed for them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  21. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Upon the first viewing, I am OK with W/P's SD, but utterly in love with their FD. So intricate, so beautiful, and, to me, emotional as well.

clarie likes this.
  22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I love both their programs, but that FD had me mesmerized and I can see it as a wonderful vehicle for them with some more mileage and tweeking. I loved her dress...just beautiful and ethereal. They are such a beautiful statuesque team but seemed a tad tentative today....That will all change.

alilou likes this.
  23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Loved that SD. I actually watched it twice, which may be a first for me when it comes to a SD on You Tube.

I forget that is was a SD, didn't think about the genre or the patterns - was just mesmerized moment by moment.

Though I agree that the FD needs some mileage. But I have confidence that the program will evolve and become more intricate and refined.

24. girlscouse62

Does anyone have vid link for FD ?

25. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Go to TV Alerts thread Nebelhorn Trophy click on livestream all the videos are there!

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I've always loved Weaver/ Poje. What a downer of a critique by Jenny and Dave re a perceived lack of on-ice chemistry by W/P, mentioned in the new TSL podcast. They don't see Kaitlyn as projecting enough, and they describe Andrew as often "looking aloof," and not making eye contact with Kaitlyn. Perhaps W/P are overly engrossed in getting the character of their programs across and also focusing on the technique aspect. If these critiques have validity, I hope Andrew and Kaitlyn will find a way to overcome these perceived weaknesses, and win at least one Worlds.

Certainly, I don't see Cappellini/ Lanotte as being a better team than Weaver/ Poje.

28. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

It was an interesting critique by Dave/Jenny, I can't say I fully agree with them. I've always thought Kaitlyn/Andrew had pretty decent chemistry as a team. And they said Kaitlyn was tentative and scared, but my impression has always been she's kind of a fighter and throws herself into the programs (at times almost a bit wildly). I can see what they said about Andrew being a bit aloof at times. The one thing I noticed at Nebelhorn was W/P's lifts seemed more tentative & less impressive than usual. Typically lifts are a very strong point
    for them, but not in the Nebelhorn FD.

I like W/P, and yet I don't love them in any way. Same goes for Capellini/Lanotte. I don't feel like either team is necessarily that much stronger than the other. At times I prefer W/P and at times I prefer C/L. It depends on the program and the performance.

I feel like this is going to be a weird season in ice dance, as I think Karpenko said in another thread. When it comes down to it, none of the remaining teams really seem ready to take over from D/W and V/M.

nuge likes this.
  29. beebee

beebee Active Member

Why give Jenny and Dave's opinion so much credibility? Jenny admittedly knows next to nothing about Ice Dance and Dave, well, I don't know what's up with him. I find their statements about Weaver/Poje utterly ridiculous. IMO they have tons of chemistry and to say Andrew looks aloof is a real head scratcher. They barely had a nice word to say about anyone, comparing Madison Chock to Maurizio Margaglio, condemning Carolina as guilty, worrying about skaters investements accounts, and generally belittling many of the programs. Why do they bother watching the sport if they dislike so much about it.

They've set themselves up as judge and jury in an irresponsible way. I, for one, am done with the Skating Lesson. Jenny and Dave should move on to new careers

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  30. beebee

beebee Active Member

Sorry but I somehow messed up my post above and my reply is included with the quote from aftershocks. I can't figure out how to fix it--if someone can let me know I'd appreciate it.