Weaver and Poje #2: From Buenos Aires to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marta24, Jan 12, 2014.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I think Kaitlyn is a better skater than Anna (who I love). Anna is smooth but skates slower and smaller. Kaitlyn skates with an abandon that you don't see with any other female skater currently competing.

2. tut88

tut88 Member

:cheer2:
    THANK YOU !!!
    I wouldn't say it better !!

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, having seen them all live a few times, I would have to agree.

4. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Cannot wait to see how much they will have improved. I love these two programmes. Here's hoping for a top two finish with P/I in Top ten, and a great showing for G/P. Let's go Canada!

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

@LynnRutherford tweeted on March 17:

6. tut88

tut88 Member

Beautiful article on icenetwork
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/21/69797848

As has become an annual tradition at icenetwork, we asked a ballroom/Latin dancer to watch videos of some of the top ice dance contenders at the upcoming world championships and give opinions from a dance perspective.
    This year, we turned to Julian "Julz" Tocker, a top international competitor in both Latin and ballroom dancing. Originally from New Zealand, Tocker has trained, competed and performed all over the world. In 2013, he was a member of the Dancing with the Stars troupe, and he continues to work with the show as a choreographer and occasional performer. This season, he is one of the co-hosts on the Dancing with the Stars recap/critique on AfterBuzz TV.
    Looking at the free dances with a dancer's eye, he offers his thoughts on performance quality, choreography, musicality and interactions between the partners.

Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje
    "From the intro, they set an intense scene. For me, it created a mood straight away, and it was very clear this was going to be a tango," Tocker said.
    He enjoyed Weaver and Poje's use of actual tango elements, especially her use of flicks, and how they related to the music and the theme of the program. He said they looked more like dancers on a floor more than any other couple. The final line was smashing.
    "She stylized everything very well, very tango," he said. "It was nice to see something completely different from everybody else.
    "Both were very involved, emotionally connected and on the same page," he added. "It was very clear that they were in tune with each other. You saw that constantly. They didn't lose their focus throughout the entire piece.
    "Beautiful leg actions from her and partnering between each of them. A dynamic and dramatic mix when they would go from the skating, into a lift, into the partnering pieces."

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Active Member

Nice. I think Kaitlyn has improved immensely over the past few seasons. Andrew's skating skills have always been amazing - IMO the best after Scott Moir - so she had some catching up to do but with excellent coaching Kaitlyn is a different skater now with much deeper edges, control and confidence.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

Beverley Smith's latest blog post: WEAVER AND POJE: MUSIC TO MY EARS
    Excerpt:

9. Xela M

Xela M Well-Known Member

Can I just jump in and say that I absolutely loved this team's free dance in Sochi. I thought it was the most beautiful programme next to I/K's black swan. I was shocked to see such amazing work from Anjelika.

10. coraczek

coraczek Member

This is something we agree on:) In my opinion it was the most beautiful FD of the season.

11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I hope W&P shines in the coming worlds. They deserve it.

12. girlscouse62

Heck with silver or bronze, I Would love to see them take gold.

13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

If the judging is fair, and they skate 2 great programs, it could be gold, girlscouse62. Here's hoping!!!!

14. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Go W&P! Tango your hearts out!

15. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Active Member

IA -- but the fair judging in ice dance could be a big IF. Although the "fix" at the Olys is so far just a report in a French magazine, deals & sketchy judging in ice dance seem to repeat themselves every quad or so. Go W/P!

16. girlscouse62

Not long to wait now! Praying for Kaitlyn and Andrew to have the best skates of their careers at this WCh event, and for the judges to appreciate them and mark accordingly.

17. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Praying for a squeaky clean SD so they can get really great marks for that fabulous, and sexy tango! Go W&P, It is finally your time to shine!

18. girlscouse62

Well, 0.5 behind leaders C/L. I/K screwed up twizzles big time, don't know why their Pcs wasn't lower, I definitely thought it altered flow of programme quite badly. If Tessa and Scott had blown it like this they would have been docked majorly. P/B had a few bobbles. Way to go, Kaitlyn and Andrew. Praying for an even better LP.

19. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

W&P Your time is now!

20. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

V/M did screw up at last years Worlds but were still in 2nd place after the SD.
    Wishing bad or ill to other couples is wrong. Even though I'm rooting for W/P as I think this will be their beat chance at World Gold I still want other couples to do well.

21. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Who is wishing bad or ill will to other couples in here, cause I don't see it.

Well done W/P on your SD. I didn't get to see it but from all accounts I've read, you did yourselves (and Canada) proud. Looking forward to hearing how you do in the FD.

22. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I too dont get your comment.
    Deb merely brought in TS who are not skating in the competition and commented on others' mistakes.... that does not translate into wishing bad for anyone else.

Besides why do you think its WP's best chance of winning worlds - they could have as good a chance next year. They are not way out in front like VM were but very much part of the pack. With P&B retiring and IK breaking up they have a good chance of continuing to do well going forward and I wish them well for this quad.

23. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I missed the SD but cant wait to see the free. They are fully capable of grabbing this opportunity and making good on my vote that Kaitlyn will be the next dance diva. Way to go! Super excited about and for them!

24. PashaFan

There are a lot of young teams coming through & W/P are older. So yes, I really think it's their best chance.
    So many of the W/P are getting like the D/W & V/M ubers. One word not praising them & I get leapt on. Show some class. No team has a right to win.

25. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I dont think that WP are all that old.I recall she is a couple of years younger than him and is 25. Thats not old in ice dance. Only VM achieved the pinnacle at a very young age.

No one is saying that any one has a right to win. The best team on the day should win. But your comment that this may be their best chance had no merit IMO.

26. girlscouse62

I don't understand why PashFan is getting her knickers in a knot over perfectly respectful comments. No one here, IMHO, is disrespectful of any skaters or posters. I think most people here really like I/K, and are distressed at the idea of a possible split between such a majorly talented young couple. That said, this is a Kaitlyn and Andrew fan thread, so, of course, we wish them to win, and go on to a long and prosperous career. Rant concluded:)

27. PashaFan

Old in terms of how long they have been competing. Along with C/L & P/B they are the one's who have been around the longest.
    So to date you don't think this has been their best chance ?. Also, in the future.
    Don't get so defensive. I'm a huge fan of them too. But I can see that many younger couples are coming through & it will be tough.
    C/B are really improving. B/S will be back. If I/K split we may get two great new teams. The Shibs could continue. G/P are very original & are exciting to watch. I don't think any one team will dominate in the next four years.

28. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

You are correct that relative to CB they are older.
    This is their first opportunity to win but certainly they should have them in the future the way I see it. Its not their only chance to medal or win.

You may also recall that they didnt go to the last Olys and also only really skated cohesively together in more recent times. Kaitlin was not at Andrews level and she took a couple of years to get there. IMO they have done a wonderful job and nowhere near the team I saw in their earlier years with a plethora of mistakes. Going to K&C have really expanded their horizon though I know that one can see Shaelyn's influences still in some moves.

I am not defensive at all ... no need to be.

I am not even their biggest fan just enjoy some of their programs. They are amazing to watch live as they have a real presence on the ice and I think seeing them live the last couple of years at nationals , worlds, GP and SOI have made me a fan.

I hope to see them again in SOI next month. I think they will be there AFAIK.

I agree that no one team will dominate as many are at the same level.

I love GP. Though she has some way to go but has also come a long way. I go to watch them at their club event and they usually skate at Thornhill as well. Paul and Vanessa actually floated on the ice. GP's current FD is a masterpiece.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  29. jarvalwest

jarvalwest New Member

I agree W&P will have many more great chances to win the world title if they dont this year. I think they will have a chance every year the quad coming, especialy with I&K splitting. Teams like Gilles & Poirier and the Shibutanis will never be a threat to them in the future either.

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Never say never...

Maybe not the Shibs unless they split but I think GP may. It will all rest on Piper's progress. Paul is already at very high level.