Weaver and Poje #2: From Buenos Aires to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marta24, Jan 12, 2014.

1. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

My cable listing is showing the Gala on Saturday at 7:00-10:00pm EST on Sports Network Ontario.

2. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Thanks rv1. Don't know whether we can access that in pacific canada

3. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Check your local Sportsnet listings. I have it on Sportsnet West feed on time delay from 9:00 pm-12:00 EST.

4. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Thanks, guys

5. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

As much warning as I had that a Russian would be on the podium, barring a horrific mistake, I still can't believe they're bronze medalists above all the other superior teams. To think W/P will be behind them in Worlds is unbelievable.

6. beebee

beebee Active Member

They did not have a poor SD. They were held down by the Technical Panel to ensure that were not within striking distance of the podium. This could not be clearer-- it worked at COR and it worked here. My hat is off to them for once again coming back strong and proving they are competitive with the best of them. They are great competitors and great sports--I truly admire them.

7. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I/K were way better than W/P. Get over it.
    Some of you really think that W/P have a right to be on the podium.
    They were not held down by the technical panel.
    They made errors & were punished for it in the SD.

8. Sk8ngCat

Sk8ngCat Member

Since you're obviously not a W/P fan, why don't you swan off, fowl troll.:kickass:

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I think they were temporarily dumped by the judging this time. Who knows what will happen in the future. I/K were OK, but still have a ways to go. W/P were awsome!!!

10. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Actually, I'm a huge W/P fan.
    Ever since I saw them at the 2007 Worlds in Japan.
    But I'm also a SKATING fan which means I can be objective about skating.
    If the truth hurts why don't you swan off :lol:

11. FelicitySmoak

FelicitySmoak Member

Totally agree with you, as were some other beautiful dance teams.

12. beebee

beebee Active Member

PashaFan, could you please take a look and let me know why W/P were given a Level 3 on their twizzles (remember, Level not based on space between skaters or even wonkiness). Also, I'm very surprised about the extended lift. What do you think? That's two points right there without even questioning the Finnstep. As we know, two points can create a chasm in the SD. Speaking for myself, I'm not saying they should have been in third place after SD, just that they were nickel and dimed. That was enough to drop them down a place in the standings and could have been enough to really shake their confidence going into the FD. The first objective was achieved, but the second was not. As they are wont to do, they just came back stronger and did themselves and their fans proud.

13. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Finally chiming in to congratulate Weaver/Poje on a superb free dance.

I am very impressed with how far they have come mentally. They must have been under significant pressure for a good skate in the free dance. A few years ago they would have had trouble dealing with that; now they take it in their stride.

Their ability to express music has also really improved in the last three years. That was really obvious in the free dance.

14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

And I happen to think they were robbed in the SD by about 5 points. I hope they can put it behind them and skate lights out at Worlds as they did in Sochi.

15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I do too.
    Their marks were artificially depressed.

16. Marta24

Marta24 Member

From Tessa & Scott's interviews it seems like they are retiring, so I'm curious how things will change for Kaitlyn&Andrew when they are Canada's #1. I think their scores had a lot to do with not being #1 of their country. If you take D&W,V&M and P&B out, who are probably all retiring after this season, Kaitlyn&Andrew had the second best FD score in Sochi.

If Patrick is also retiring there won't be a lot of Canadian skaters capable of winning medals at future WCH and if you think about G/P not getting the international scores, Skate Canada had hoped for, I could imagine that Kaitlyn&Andrew will be maybe their only possibility to win medals.

It would make me very happy if they would finally get the recognition from the international judges.

17. Ladida

Ladida Member

Very happy birthday to Andrew Poje!!!

18. bonmil

bonmil Member

With worlds coming up soon, I thought I would bring this thread into the forefront. W&P are Canada's best chance for a medal. Beautiful skaters and have improved so much over the last couple of seasons. Love both their programs this year. Go W&P!

19. tut88

tut88 Member

I agree !!!! they were jeld down by judges, unfortunately being second couple did not help too !!
    Hope this Russian power is eneded now that they got their medals in Sochi , and so we can enjoy again ice-dance !
    :)

20. tut88

tut88 Member

I agree !!!

21. tut88

tut88 Member

I don't agree !!

WP were not of podium in Sochi, but not even I/K.
    I was THERE, so I haven't seen in on tv, i saw speed, edges, expressions, timing and all.
    "ponished " sounds totally the wrong words.
    They have been held down by panel like at COR,
    just because they were a threat to Russians couples, BOTH
    and also being second couple ( no VM faults, of course ) never helps

They were great !
    And that FD WAS worth a medal !!

22. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I agree that at the COR they were robbed.
    In Sochi I would have had them 5th but not on the podium. But above C/L & B/S.
    I don't think they have been held down but their SD was under-marked. But I thought that about other couples.
    My two sisters were in Sochi too & one of them is a massive W/P fan but liked I/K too.
    Let's face it the top two in Sochi were decided a couple of years ago.
    I love W/P but just because you love a couple does not mean you can't love others too.
    I was gutted for P/B but really enjoyed watching I/K who I'm also a fan of.
    We should be happy there are so many great ice dance teams around at the same time.
    But enough with the "Russia Fix" thing. I/K deserved their Bronze.

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

W&Ps SD performance in Sochi was definitely not worth a medal. I agree that they should have finished 5th overall. They should have won COR and been 3rd at the Grand Prix final.

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

They lost to Pechalat/Bourzat by 4 points overall in the GPF. Do you think they were underscored in the SD, in FD, or both? I could see that they had mistakes in their FD step sequences. Level 2 seemed correct, as level 4 is rare anyway, so, when a team makes an obvious mistake or two in a step sequence, level 2 is not surprising. PCS is another thing. It can be debated which of the two teams deserves higher PCS in what category. Although I see that it's accepted by many people here that Kaitlyn has weaker skating skills than P/B and even Andrew.

25. beebee

beebee Active Member

I am so sick and tired of posters criticizing Kaitlyn's skating skills. Unquestionably, Andrew is a very strong skater--one of the strongest of all the current male ice dancers. Because of this, Kaitlyn had to improve her skills and has been extremely successful, IMO. Her posture, edging, and overall skating are excellent. I just don't understand how fans, who allegedly are savvy with regard to Ice Dance, cannot see the huge improvements Kaitlyn has made over the years and insist on harping on what is in the past. How could they possibly have performed Maria de Buenos Aires so beautifully unless both of them are strong skaters.

26. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I agree, and I think so too. It's just that I still see people talking about it, and I am not an expert at all, so sometimes I am not sure what to believe.

27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I agree. She's up there with the best of them now, certainly better than some placed ahead of them at the O.G.'s

28. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Other than Bobrova, which women ?.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  29. tut88

tut88 Member

I totally agree !!!!
    She is a good skater !!
    Bobrova and Ilink are a lot worse !

30. tut88

tut88 Member

I totally don't agre !
    Panel was totally for RUssia so levels are done by judges.
    I saw any mistakes in the step seq. Should have been level 3 !