Wearing Leggings Can Make You Fat...?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 3, 2011.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

2. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

The article keeps implying that leggings are there to "hide" flaws, but I find them so revealing. I won't wear them unless my legs are already toned.

3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well, I'm ok with this, so long as I can still wear my jeggings! :lol:
    Oh wait...

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I agree. Woman that wear them and don't have on a skirt or short dress are basically walking around butt naked as far as I am concerned. There is NOTHING left to the imagination. Nothing is hidden...

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well, they hide flaws in the way Spanx does; they consolidate your fat and flab and make you look a little thinner than you would look if you walked around "naked," so to speak.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is true. I was going to say something but couldn't figure out how to properly word it without grossing someone out. :rofl:

Let's just say leggings hide some flaws but they do NOT hide any body parts.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Leggings are basically lose-lose. People who are completely normal weight look fat in them, while girls actually thin enough to wear them and look good are SO thin that's all I can think about when I see them. :lol:

I only wear leggings when I'm wearing a long shirt or dress over it, which IMO is the only way to remotely get around the lose-lose proposition. Otherwise it's way too revealing. :eek:

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

BWAH!! I thought they were going to say something about always wearing stretchy material (as opposed to, for example, regular jeans) so you're not necessarily aware when you've put on a few pounds because it stretches to fit you.

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Has anyone (except on here) ever realised even if you're thin, exagerating how thin your legs are makes your upper body look bigger?

Closest I ever wear to leggings are riding breeches or schooling tights, and they're much thicker, thank goodness.

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I usually only wearing leggings instead of tights when skating, usually with shorts or a skating skirt over them. So that should keep up the muscle tone.

Occasionally I wear them off-ice instead of tights with a skirt or under my slacks for warmth or to be able to make a quick change to skating attire after work or wherever else I'm going. Never as my only lower-body covering.

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I admit it - in the late '80s/early '90s, I lived in leggings-as-pants. What can I say, I was really skinny, had great legs, and had no idea just how revealing pants that bared no skin could be. Honest! I think back on it and laugh, but they were the most comfortable thing, they went with everything (considering my entire wardrobe was t-shirts and thrift store dresses)...can't say I'd do it different :lol:

Sometimes I see young women wearing things that are...far more revealing than is necessary. But then I figure, they're young, they're got the bodies and the attitude to carry it off - go for it. I'm NOT talking about in an office setting - the whole what's appropriate for the workplace is a different debate - but out on the street.

12. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

If they're wearing the ones that are basically tights or stockings without feet, yes, I would agree with that. But you're incorrect if you're talking about the ones that are made out of thicker stretch-knit material that is not see-through. I have several pairs like that, and I wear them for cycling because I can't afford what are called "riding tights".

13. genevieve

I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean they're see-through.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

What utter nonsense... Leggings aren't strong enough to not have use your muscles. Many types don't even hold you in as well as Spanx. That physiotherapist is a moron.

As for them being lose-lose, people with great legs look great in them.

Except for jeggings. No one looks good in jeggings. ;)

15. genevieve

Do I even want to know what jeggings are?

ETA: I just looked and no, I didn't want to know :lol: That seems like the lady version of the tuxedo t-shirt.

16. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

jeggings :yikes: I do love my skinny jeans though.

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I agree that the physiotherapist is a moron, but as for them looking good on people with great legs...it probably still depends on how your legs are built. I think I have pretty good legs, I actually avoid wearing shorts because I'm :yikes: of the unwanted attention I get when I wear them. (Unless it's like, 95F+ outside. Eff the catcallers, I ain't roasting!) But even I look pretty fat in leggings and I'm skinnyyyyyy!

When your thighs touch, they look like sausages in leggings if you don't having something covering that area. And when your thighs DON'T touch, my first reaction is to think you're far too thin. :p

18. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again....if jeggings are wrong, then I don't want to be right! I adore mine. Super comfy, stretchy and they look exactly like regular skinny jeans.

19. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I actually have seen some that are really like a skinny jean/legging hybrid and they do look fine. But I've also seen some that look terrible.

Good Jeggings

Bad Jeggings :lol:

20. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

21. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I bet you look better than you think.

I have athletic legs and I look great in leggings. The only reason I don't wear them more is that I don't have enough tops that go down far enough and I don't have a great ass so I prefer to get that covered. I've seen lots of people who look great in leggings too.

Personally I thought only the right-most pair in the "Good Jeggings" picture looked okay and I suspect those are actually skinny jeans and not jeggings.

22. genevieve

I thought the same thing