Wear the wrong prom dress and get spanked?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mmscfdcsu, Apr 4, 2010.

1. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that is one unfortunate dress, like if The Little Mermaid had a negligee
    mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  3. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

It is a somewhat unfortunate dress but the reaction is ridiculous and umm excuse me? Paddling? Even the 3 day suspension is ridiculous, just send them home if the dress violates the dress code.
  4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw the video on CNN and my jaw dropped when I heard that they had an option of 3 day suspension or a paddling! They still paddle school children, much less high school children!? Unreal! I am not one of those people who hates any kind of corporal punishment but I would not want someone else spanking my child. I don't see why this even came up, they should have just immediately sent the kids home and told them they knew the rules and they should have followed them if they wanted in. They could go home and try to change quickly or miss out, too bad. I know at my high school the dress code rules were strictly enforced and everyone got them made explicitly clear. If you still showed up out of dress code then they had no pity for you and sent you home. No detention or paddling or anything, just go home!
  5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I can't believe this girl was the only one who chose suspension over paddling. I agree with her - it's not the 1940s, why is paddling of teenagers even allowed anymore?

But that is one ugly dress. And she's fooling herself if she thinks there's no cleavage showing...
  6. mmscfdcsu

I wonder if some felt they had no choice. Could a suspension impact grades? At my school, you could not make up any work that you missed while you were suspended. If you missed major tests or presentations that could impact grades, class standings and even scholarships
  7. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

At my high school if you were unsure of a dress being inappropriate you could take pics of yourself wearing it and show it to a teacher on the prom committee and make sure it was approved. I always did this because I did not want to blow money on my prom just to be turned away at the door.
  8. zippy

zippy Active Member

What do they mean by "cleavage below the breastbone"? If they're referring to the sternum that starts up by the clavicle, so do they expect the girls to wear turtlenecks? I agree it's an unfortunate dress, but the punishment is rather shocking - especially with such vague rules.
  9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the rules are made clear to the girls about what cleavage is. However, even if the rules are unusually strict, her dress had TONS of cleavage and she didn't think it was a problem, nor did her mother. :eek: All I saw was cleavage with that dress.
  10. mmscfdcsu

:lol:The look on her face when she said "What cleavage?" was so funny. I would hat to see what she would deem too much cleavage. :scream: :yikes:
  11. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Uh ... when I can see 3/4's of your friggin' boobs girlie, there is too much clevage. Not to mention that dress is BUTT UGLY and she looks ridiculous in it.
  12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Pretty color, though... :)
  13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

She thinks "what cleavage" in relation to her dress? :huh: Good heavens, maybe she thinks cleavage means topless.. :scream:

With that wrap on, it gave me a flashback to Kathy Bates wearing something like that in "Fried Green Tomatoes" (I think it was that movie).
  14. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

It's a hideous dress (though I am a huge fan of tulle, personally, just not seafoam green tulle), but she's a lot more covered than many of my students will be at our prom.
  15. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Girls wear more revealing dresses to my daughter's high school winter and spring formals here. Many of them wear sparkly tops as mini dresses and look equally as horrid.
  16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

exactly my thoughts. When my kids went to prom - last one was 7 years ago, they had a list of what was appropriate and what was not. There were teachers and parents at the door, inspecting for violations. Mostly related to gang colours/displays but still had inappropriate dress rules. Some of the restrictions for the girls:

A backless gown can not show "butt cracks"
    Side slits must not reveal the undergarments (i.e. thongs) lack of undergarments
    Gowns a la JLo infamous gown are not acceptable

And to be fair - the restrictions for the guys were there too including:
    No saggy jeans - just as the girls can not show butt cracks neither can you guys.
    No t-shirts with inappropriate words - refer to student code of conduct for rules.
    Tuxes not required (as many of the students were from low, low income households), but dress slacks and dress shirt.

AFAIK, they were only denied entrance to the prom. Not suspended and certainly not paddled.

Inappropriate dresses allow the adults to paddle, a wet dream for the school principal and school board?
  17. Orable

Orable New Member

How on earth is it even legal for a school to paddle it's pupils?! :eek:

That dress really is terrible, though. And the fact that she doesn't think she's showing cleavage concerns me :eek:
  18. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Dress aside, let's talk about the paddling. Now, I believe in spankings if done at the right time in the right circumstances. There's nothing morally wrong about them. But I would never, ever spank a child over the age of 10 or 12. The fact that paddling was even an OPTION for HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS is unreal! How on earth is that appropriate under any circumstance?
  19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I can't believe 17 students chose that option...

They should have just not admitted her to the prom...
  20. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

I don't have a problem with smacking (smacking=spanking in Australia) if it's a parent. No one but me or the child's father will ever be given permission to smack my child (if we decide to smack, and we probably won't). I can control the force of smacking I do myself, but not those done by others. There is absolutely no way to tell if the person doing the smacking has a personal issue with the child and therefore smacks harder than I think is appropriate - and what is appropriate to me, may not be the same as what another person feels is appropriate, which is why others won't ever be permitted to smack my child.

In this case, I think smacking and suspension are both unreasonable punishments, however I do wonder if they knew in advance the punishments for violating the dress code, and if they had opportunity in advance to check if their outfits were appropriate. If they knew the punishment, and had the opportunity to check and didn't, then they really shouldn't be complaining now.
  21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I would guess that it means no dresses that show the line between the 2 boobs. On me that's about 5 inches below my clavicle, so no turtleneck necessary.

That was the impression I got - neither she nor her mother know what cleavage is.
  22. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Isn't spanking/paddling in school against the law in the US?
  23. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

:lol: My thoughts exactly! I was trying to imagine a dress that covers my neck bones and it sure wouldn't be pretty...
  24. berthesghost

berthesghost New Member

It won't be long before our kids are wearing burqas to prom.

and what was up with the principals quote? Cuz if a girl get's raped, it's her fault for wearing a sexy dress? Men are just faultless? And teen pregnancy didn't exist before the invention of the miniskirt?

this just seems like another way to control women and make them feel bad for expressing themselves. Regardless of the fashion police, even in this thread, the girl thought she looked great, and I don't see what's so bad about a teenage girl thinking she looks nice.

just don't me started on hypocritical self-elected moral police like Beyonce! Skeezy put ya clothes on why don't ya? she must have been looking in the mirror when she wrote that song!
  25. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

It's a state issue - 30 states have banned it.
  26. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I graduated in 07 and paddling was still being done at my school. Apparently The South is the last bastion of stupidity in that regard.
  27. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Well have you seen the actresses that are her age and what they wear?

First the color offends me more than anything, its a "babydoll" dress far too much for her curvy figure but its what the celeb's are wearing.

I think there are far to many things to get into a fuss about than a gaudy ill fitting dress on a silly adolecent!
  28. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

In the states that allow paddling, would it be legal to paddle an adult against his/her will? Or would it be considered assault? Might it even be considered a type of sexual assault?

For the students involved, is the selection of paddling as the punishment primarily intended to inflict pain or humiliation as the consequence for violating dress code?
  29. SoNaoWat?

SoNaoWat? New Member

The admins at this school must be complete idiots. Why not just refuse them entrance to prom and let it go at that? Agree that students should make sure their dress is acceptable before prom rolls around so there are no surprises like this. And apparently compared to the other responders to this post, I have no taste, because I thought the dress was kind of cute. Meh
  30. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Nah, Utah and Idaho still have school paddling. Luckily, the students' Magic Mormon Underwear prevents any pain being felt.
  31. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

32. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Um, yeah. Reading the first article, I expected something more like that.
  33. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ Good gawd. What the hell is wrong with that girl! These kids ... and they ARE just KIDS ... are 16-17-18 years old that are going to proms. You don't dress in two napkins and a potholder when you go out in public! And you don't wear a dress that is six sizes too small for you with your body busting out of every seam and your boobs spilling out of the bandaid sized bra top attached to it (or not!). Is there no one in this world who teaches their kids a little thing called CLASS and self-respect anymore?!! I truly weep for the future of this world.
  34. Civic

Civic New Member

She looks like she should be swinging about a pole in some strip joint instead of attending her high school prom. Seriously, young people won't know about appropriate dress for various occasions unless someone teaches them. Chances are this young woman's parents or guardian didn't see anything wrong with her dress. I shudder to think what she might wear for a job interview.
  35. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

^^^ And what was with the tattoo on her upper chest? Was that a handgun? I tried pausing the video, but the image was too fuzzy. If she's going to get a tat, the least she could do is get something that she'd still be proud to show off in 25-30 years. Like mine.
    Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  36. shan

shan Well-Known Member

What is with the argument "but its my senior prom"??? Yeah, that makes your dress appropriate....

That CNN article made me :rofl: My favorite quote has to be

"They didn't give me any options, but to go to jail or go home."
  37. Cupid

Cupid New Member

We used to have paddling (or should I say one big swat on the butt) in our junior high back in the 70's - but it was only for the boys - girls got detention - boys got a choice of either or.

I thought the dress looked cute on her, and compared to some of the prom dresses out there that are cut down PAST the belly button with a huge gap in the material, that dress is demure in comparison.
  38. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Too much cleavage up top, but it didn't look shorter than 6 inches above the knee - it just looked pretty see through. I can't blame the kid for wanting the dress, but her mother should have had the sense to realize that cleavage was showing.

But I have seen kids in prom dresses with slits cut up to the hip, bare midriffs in the middle, plunging necklines. My mother describes that as "nice dress you are almost wearing."
  39. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how the garment in that video qualifies as a dress.

And, of course, the public reaction most of the time seems to be outrage that these kids are not allowed to "express themselves". :eek:
  40. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Well, good lawd, that dress is too durned SEXY for our school, girl! Now you know Daddy principal has to punish you for that, right? Now come on over here and lean right on over Daddy's Principal's knee. That's right, girl. Now this ain't gonna last no more than an hour or two...

Paddling a female senior? It's wrong in any case, but this is DOWNRIGHT CREEPY!!!!!!!!! :eek:
    UMBS Go Blue, Simone411, Nan and 3 others like this.