Wealthy banker tells waitress to "get a real job"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Kevind85, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Kevind85

Kevind85 New Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

What an @$$! :rolleyes: :mad:

He'll get his.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That is insane. Maybe he should learn to cook himself a "real" meal, then. If he is a banker then maybe he is the one who needs a real job as it seems most banks are nothing but failures and full of frauds anyway.

5. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

6. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Why on Earth is this news? Yes, the guy is a huge jerk. Yes, he gave her a bad tip. But newsworthy? This kind of stuff happens every day and the waitress (if she's the one who took this story to the news agency) comes off a bit attention-whorey.

I don't think this is a symbol of class warfare, the 99% vs the 1%, or anything at all beyond a rude patron at a restaurant. I also don't think anyone would give a flying fig if he were a plumber and not an eville banker. YMMV.

7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

From the article linked:

She was not being an attention whore.

meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Is this story really true? It seems like it's almost too perfect for the theme being expounded upon.

But if it is true, what an utter jerk.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I also think it's too perfect to be true - and why would the other person dining have a photo of the actual receipt? It would be hard for someone to whip out their camera and take a picture of a receipt on a table (or more likely in one of those billfold things) without being onvious. not doubting that there are people who do this sort of thing, just not just this particular story is completely true.

Oh, and this (emphasis mine):
    story took place in Seattle and had NOTHING to do with 1% vs. 99%. And regardless of how it started (there are conflicting reports, including at least one rendition that had the waitress telling the woman in the party she could "stand to gain a few pounds" during the meal), it ended up being an internet witch hunt, including identifying the wrong person as the guy who'd left the tip resulting in someone who had nothing to do with it getting death threats. And the waitress in question, who had posted the identifying information online and then watched the ensuing shitstorm, said nothing more than just "oopsie, I guess I got that one wrong" and still works at the bar.

It was a fascinating example of the internet rage machine, and I will never set foot in that restaurant again for the way they handled it. This is coming from a former waitress who thinks it's never ok to leave that kind of comment on a receipt.

10. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it was true. Some people are real @$$es when it comes to tips and how they determine what they give. My husband is one of those people, so I know they exist.

Now I don't know if this banker regularly tips 1% as a way to stick it to the 99% or if it is just what he gives perceived crappy service in general. Either way, it's a convenient story to motivate the Occupy movement.

11. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Whether this story is true or not, I love how the person on the video introduces the story as one of the worst things you'll see. I guess war, famine, murder and rape are nothing when compared to someone getting a bad tip. :lol:

12. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Eh, worked as a waitress and bartender, dealt with similiar customers. Part of the job. I wish I had gotten a cute message like "Lose a few pounds" or whatever on a check-That would have made me laugh.

Not all wait staff is that nice, either.

13. Civic

Civic New Member

Waiting tables is a "real" job as are working the cash register at Walmart and flipping burgers at McDonald's. They may not be prestigious or well paying jobs but they are legitimate jobs that pay a salary.

14. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

It would be fair to hear the banker's side of the story, and what interactions took place between "client" and "waiter". Most people don't go out of their way to insult and to get so personal with a waiter, unless they butted heads over something....

I worked in sandwich shops and restaurants while in school. Sometimes a client strikes you the wrong way for no serious reason. He/she may look funny, act too demanding, be fat and order a huge meal, make a joke you don't appreciate, ask you a question you don't like.. It's important to watch your facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, etc...at least up to a certain point... Sometimes something said with best intentions can cause a problem..... like saying "we have a good selection of salads" to an over-weight woman, or suggesting "the washroom is in the back if you want to wash your hands" to a construction worker.

I wonder what the banker has to say...

15. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was the part that was infuriating. I worked as a waitress before and if I got a bad tip, I accepted it. So, if this guy wants to leave a bad tip or no tip, more power to him, but his message to the waitress was ridiculous. Like Civic, I agree that being a waiter is as real as any other job. I think this guy's message was different than saying something stupid than "lose a few pounds" or whatever. This was dismissing the job itself as worthless.

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

"Lose a few pounds" is way worse than "Get a real job." People ridicule my job all the time. As if I care. But people tell me to lose weight? Then, ya better step back!

If it was done by an eville single parent on welfare, figs would be flying higher than Midori Ito.

triple_toe and (deleted member) like this.
  17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Looking at that restaurant's menu - in order to eat/drink $133 dollars worth of product there was probably a bottle of wine or a few cocktails involved. :lol:

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Will he? If they can't release his name I'd love to know the name of his employer.

19. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

This story was not true.

According to Yahoo News:

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What was the point of the whole thing then, I wonder...

21. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

To keep the class warfare going ...:lol:

22. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

That or getting their 15 minutes of fame or just seeing if they could pull it off. No matter, it was :blah:.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This and what milanessa suggested are not mutually exclusive.

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Getting everyone all riled up over nothing, and sitting back laughing. :blah:

25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Ugh. :blah:

26. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Damn, need to remind myself to be more skeptical. :eek:

27. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

And it's scary to see how easy it is to rile up "everyone" :yikes:

"" because I'm sure it's not everyone :lol:

28. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I don't know why they need to make up something like this when similar things actually do happen to waitresses.

29. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

X

Stir those embers! Got an election to win.

30. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Best intentions?! I would probably punch you in the face if you said that to me. NO TIP! :lol: :revenge: