We got a kitten!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by bobalina77, Jun 23, 2010.

1. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

His name is Tetley :)

If anyone has any tips or tricks or suggestions fire 'em at me. Neither of us have ever had a kitten before lol!
    sweetsparky, jamesy, Jenny and 3 others like this.
  2. mkats

mkats New Member

Such gorgeous eyes! :swoon:

We "have" a kitty who technically belongs to our neighbor but likes to visit us all the time, probably because it gets more spoiled over here than it does next door. We keep joking about how we want to steal it :lol:
  3. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Start him on a nice scratching post or two right away, before he finds out about sharpening his claws on the furniture. Give him lots of love and handle him a lot, always gently. Tons of contact and socialization make a great cat.
  4. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

We went out and bought a bunch of stuff the day before we got him. He has a nice cushy bed which he already loves, a scratch post, some toys and a couple of dishes for food and water. BF's sister (who's cat this kitten belongs to) gave us a litter box. Oh.. and food of course.

I was worried last night that he was gonna be crying all night, but he stayed in bed (as far as we know, we put a collar with a bell on him so we know where he is lol) and we didn't hear a peep from him. This morning he was curled up in a ball in the corner of his bed lol. We have been handling him a lot.. he fell asleep on both our laps last night and snuggled up right beside me on the couch. He's definitely a lover and a cuddler. We hold him and pet him and he snuggles right in and starts purring away.
  5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

very cute! congrats :)
  6. soxxy

soxxy Guest

How cute! How did he get the name 'Tetley'?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

adorable! congrats.
  8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I have a soft spot for grey cats. Congrats! :)
  9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Scratching posts are all-important. Put them near whatever he tries to scratch. When he goes to scratch the couch, for example, say "no" firmly, and redirect his scratching to the post. When he scratches the post instead, even for a second, he gets a "good kitty!"

If you're interested in clipping his nails to minimize scratch damage, if you do this from when he's young, it's not a big deal. The vet can show you how, if you need a lesson as I did.
  10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

How cute! Congratulations! :cat:
  11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Cats can't be stolen. The cat will adopt you (and the better deal) over your neighbor if s/he chooses. There is a difference (this is coming from someone who was adopted by her neighbor's cat - neighbor didn't want her anyway so she's all mine now!). ;)

Tetley is so cute!
  12. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Adorable. Tetley looks a lot like my old cat. I therefore would suggest a good brush because she is going to have a lot of hair -- and the hairballs that come with it. :lol:
  13. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Well.. we thought about naming him Earl because usually if we go out for coffee I get an Earl Grey tea, and he is grey so it made sense.. but I didn't like it, so BF came up with Tetley cause I'm a huge tea drinker in general. I thought about it for a few days before we got him and it grew on me.. so Tetley it was :lol:

Allskate we were wondering about that so we definitely have plans to get a brush. Any suggestions on the best kind?
  14. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I like Tetley better, too. :)
  15. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

How adorable!!!! He's got some Maine Coon in him? The M on his forehead reminds me of such.

And I love his name. Welcome, Tetley! KC sends a few chirps and purrs your way. :cat:
  16. skatecat

skatecat Member

Everything will become a toy! Be careful to pick up rubber bands and small packaging items so he doesn't swallow something he shouldn't. I had a kitty swallow a small piece of Starbucks Frap wrapping and it stuck in her throat. Had to be extracted by the vet.

Don't let him play/wrestle with your hands! It's not a habit you want him to have. Instead, hold on to a stuffy toy and let him play with that. Use fishing pole toys, too. If you use a laser pointer, never point it directly into his eyes.

A water bottle cap on linoleum flooring will keep him happy for hours.

I could go on for pages...
  17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

We have a couple of those. :lol:

Your kitty is just beautiful, bobalina. Enjoy him!
  18. Allskate

It's a matter of taste for the cat. Some like harder bristles and some like them softer. Given your cat, you might need a brush with harder and longer bristles, at least when the cat gets older. But, really, the trick is to get the cat to like it from the very beginning. My current cat likes being brushed, but my old cat would bite the brush (and get my hand) whenever I tried brushing anything besides the top of her head. You might want to look at reviews for various cat brushes at Amazon.

My cat's favorite toy is a wadded up piece of paper and a paper bag.
  19. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

what a beautiful little kitten. congrats to the new parents!
  20. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

21. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Good point.. maybe we'll pick up a brush asap.

Thanks for the tips guys.. I think we might be a little obsessed with him because BF texted to tell me he (Tetley.. not BF lol) used the litter box :shuffle:

Oh.. we can't get him to drink any water. Is that normal for a kitten? He's eating soft cat food but so far he has no interest in the water.
  22. Allskate

Cats don't drink a lot of water. No need to worry. And when he does drink water, there's a very good chance it won't be from his dish.
  23. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

okay.. I know my parents' cat likes to drink it from the tap in their bathroom sink lol! He will drink if from a dish if he must though.. usually the dog's dish.
  24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Awwww......what a beautiful kitten!! :cat:
  25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Imagine the texts if you had a real baby! ;)
  26. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

That's what my mom said LOL!
  27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

But keep the toilet lid closed, because if kitty decides to have a drink from the toilet and falls in, it could be disastrous :(
  28. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Tetley is so cute! I've heard that gray cats are super-cuddly. Our Frida is gray and black and she can be such an attention whore, especially when you want to go to sleep. :lol:

She likes drinking from the watering can. :p Once when she was little, she was exploring it and got stuck in the handle and freaked out for a good 10 seconds, running in a panic dragging this watering can behind her. :rofl:

Kittens can get into trouble very easily, so make sure you close all containers/doors you don't want them getting into.

Frida's not much of a scratcher. We got her a scratching post early on and she took to it readily. We also trained any sort of play-biting out of her as well. When they scratch/bite you, make a cat-like yowl. That's how they know that they've hurt you and you don't like it. It's silly, but Frida learned quickly, and now doesn't make any sort of aggressive move at all, even when we're doing something that she doesn't really like. :lol: She's a total sweetheart.
  29. Allskate

Yeah. My cat used to jump up on the bathroom sink and cry for me to turn on the faucet. She had me very well trained. :lol:

I was able to train her not to use her claws at a young age, though I still have some scars to show her sensitivity to loud noises. She once got so scared by a loud noise that she ran under the dishwasher, got caught up in some wires, freaked out and hyperventilated. So, the advice about being careful about what spaces are open is a good one. (I once accidentally locked my cat in the closet all day because I didn't see her run in there when I went to get my coat.)
  30. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

What a beautiful kitty! I like his name, too.

My cats don't like scratching posts but they love scratching boxes with corrugated cardboard. This isn't the kind I buy, but it's similar: http://www.petguys.com/-079593112000.html.
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh yes, do not leave any string attached to a needle around if you've been doing some mending. My parents found out the hard way when their cat started playing and chewing on the string to which there was a needle attached. She is not even a kitten.

She ended up swallowing the needle that had to be extracted by endoscopy. $1,500 worth of fun at the vet's. :scream:
  32. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Lucky for me..and Tetley.. I don't sew much lol!
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  33. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Anything that resembles a string flapping around is considered a cat plaything. :p This includes bras or belts laying around.
  34. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

If he is not neutered yet be sure to do it before he learns to spray to mark his territory. If you wait you will never be able to break the habit and it will be impossible for him to be an indoor cat (unless you want to live in stench).
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  35. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

He's so cute!
  36. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Tetley is lovely!
    All of the suggestions here are good ones.

I'm sure that you will have a long and joyful relationship!
  37. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Yes.. that will be done as soon as possible. We're both paranoid about that :lol:
  38. Nan

Nan Just me

Cute kitten. Beautiful eyes!
  39. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

What a cutie! Congratulations!
    I donĀ“t know in which type of a house you live, but be careful not to leave windows open. My first cat fell from th 5th floor when he was a kitten. (He then lived for 13 more years.)
    You will have years of happiness with Tetley. Great!:cat:
  40. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Too cute!! If any of you are on my facebook, I posted pics of the kittens we had born under our shed by a mother cat. We took in one of them last week and found homes for the other 2. They are about 7 weeks old and 'Sally' is the cutest thing ever!! I love cats and I didn't think my husband would go for a pet but 'Sally' is ruling the roost already haha.