`We can't afford mistakes this season' Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Trankov

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Jul 8, 2013.

1. frillit

frillit Member

Which pairs team go above and beyond in recent memory though.

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Savchenko and Szolkowy pretty clearly aren't just looking to rack up points; they challenge themselves both technically and artistically. It's very unfortunate that they'll likely lose out in the Olympics to the far more conventional V/T and their blah programs.

3. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Well... Ummmh... Jesus Christus Superstar... I really love this pairĀ“s talent, but...

4. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

It's not electro-pop, it's a rock opera, actually :rolleyes:. It's far from one and the same. Originally famous rock singers sang in it and in the movie. But I guess for those who like only classical music, it's all the same indeed - pop, rock, jazz, blues, rock'n'roll, or whatever :rolleyes:.

Read more carefully - they intend to move to Sochi together. I don't think it means that their partnership will be over.

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, two rolleyes just because someone dislikes a piece of music - I'm impressed.

Did you base your conclusion that Proustable only likes classical music on, well, anything? Because it is possible to like various types of music and still dislike ALW's work.

6. volotrankov

volotrankov New Member

No, Max and Tanya plan to move to sochi together, Max says that maybe they will open a school there, together. And that is one of the reasons why they went to sochi in April after the WTT and before going in vacation to mexico.

And Nina in one of her recent interviews said that Tanya and Max will continue to skate after the Olympic games, because they still didn't reach the full pleasure of skating together, because they are partners for very little time. She just didn't specified if in shows or in competitions. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  7. lauravvv

I was not "rolling my eyes" because Proustable dislikes 'Jesus Christ Superstar', but because he/she obviously doesn't know the difference between electro-pop and rock. Which also lead me to think that Proustable knows (meaning - really knows, not simply has heard) and likes only classical music, although probably I am wrong. By the way, I admit that I haven't heard newer versions of the 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musical, so I don't know how it sounds now, I only know what it was originally.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The only ALW that I have heard that would fit into the "electro-pop" genre would be his Song and Dance which has that Variations on a Theme of Paganini that so many skaters like to use (like Usova/Zhulin and Ina/Zimmerman). However, I haven't heard any of his new stuff.

That said, I do think it's sort of a big jump to accuse Proustable and others who don't like ALW or Jesus Christ Superstar as only listening to classical music.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

True, but I agree with Zemgirl that Savchenko/Szolkowy seem to try to leave their own mark in skating, and it's a bit jarring to hear a skater openly admit that they'll just skate in a way that's good enough to win without trying to achieve a bit more. Skaters do what they can to win and it may be the "smart" strategy, but I just can't help but be disappointed when a pairs team that talented and capable don't feel the need to do something more than generic.

Of course I'm biased towards the skaters who do have that sort of mind-frame as I became a huge skating fan with Michelle Kwan with all of her talk of wanting to be remembered in skating history and trying for more artistic pieces (at least at her peak before 2004-2006). I remember those fluff pieces Lori did about Kwan around the 1996 Worlds where Lori asked Michelle what what she thinks an artist is, and Kwan said something about how "this is how Oksana would move, etc." with Lori then asking her what does she want people to do if they're asked how does Michelle move. Again, it's cheesy, but that's what I appreciate in skating.

I think COP's streamline system, it's actually easier for skaters and teams who want to stand-out to do so even if their execution may suffer. Again, it's not the smartest strategy, but I appreciate those who take the risk and do more and I think those are the ones the tend to be fondly remembered. Of course, there's more ways in being innovative like breaking technical and difficulty barriers and perfecting technique. I guess we can say that V/T's actual skating is so good that we can admire their execution and skill even if their routines are not exactly ground-breaking or even interesting or deep.

10. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Jesus Christ Superstar. :scream:

The only way I can tolerate it is if they do a Loverbukhs style JSC photoshoot! :drama:

11. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Hey, it could have been, "Ghost: The Musical".

I'll take JCS.

12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Go nuts

Wait - because I dismiss JCS as electro-pop instead of rock, I only listen to classical music? think that is a viable leap to make and dismiss me entirely for it? Brava indeed. Wonderfully stereotyped reaction. That stated, thank you for assuming I "really know" classical music. I'll consider that a compliment.

FWIW, I like exactly two Lloyd Webber musicals: Evita and Sunset Blvd. If they're going to skate to Lloyd Webber, I'd rather it be one of those two. If they skate to a rock opera, I'd love it if they took on something by The Who. If they're going to skate to electro-pop, I'd rather they took on the Scissor Sisters.

13. lauravvv

I didn't accuse any others. As for Proustable, even if he/she indeed likes only classical music, I see nothing wrong with that. And I already said that the reason for my eye rolling wasn't his/her dislike of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'. My problem was Proustable's open ignorance about the genre of the music that he/she dislikes. I never roll my eyes at people for not liking something that I like, but I do at displays of ignorance. If I don't know something I say so, or I just don't talk about it at all.

Okay, I admit that it was wrong to assume that you like only classical music. I apologize for that. As for "really knowing", by that I meant - having real knowledge about some genre of music is not the same as just having listened to it.

Thanks for the link. I'll try to listen to it. Probably I will be disappointed, as I believe that it's not quite the same as it was before, but I promise that I won't "go nuts" because of that.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  14. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

Aren't you a bit judgemental here? If not, you are too easy to be impressed.

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Trankov says in the interview that he and his partner will skate their LP to "overused music". If Jesus Christ Superstar is overused material in figure skating, then yeah, it could be JCS.

16. reut

reut Active Member

Yes, he is using the word "заезженный", which means "overused" or "cliched", but maybe he just meant that the music is very famous and well-known. I guess we'll see soon? :)
    To tell the truth, I'm quite curious to see the result if it's indeed JCS.

17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I can soooo picture this, damn. :rofl: Now I kind of want this to be true.

18. reut

reut Active Member

19. Dance truth

Dance truth New Member

Yes...maybe you know better...:D

20. Lis

Lis Active Member

Is that the Jesus style beard a la Maxim Trankov then...looking at the open practise photos !