`We can't afford mistakes this season' Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Trankov

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i think it's a thing related to morozov and ice dance. his programs there weren't really great.

but you have to admit, that he did some great programs for singles and pairs.

miki andos 'memoirs of a geisha' sp, her olympic cleoptra lp, pang/tong's pearl fishers sp and especially sasha cohens dark eyes and malaguena (which is one of the best short programs in ladies ever imo)

2. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I think it's that the judges love Volosozhar/Trankov and are willing to ignore the awful Morosov choreography. :p

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

That's what I do. :) Yea Judges. :cheer2:

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Never knew who the David Wilson of Artistry on Ice was but I thought they had some very nicely choreographed cast numbers in China.

While Bolero wasn't as valuable as Pina, I still found it more interestingly constructed and more challenging in how S/S linked the elements together than V/T's program. I have to wonder how V/T, with their skills, would score on the PC mark if they skated to Ingo Steuer choreographies. Even the less creative ones.

There was a time when it seemed everyone wanted Morozov to choreograph for them. I don't know of many today. But don't worry though, V/T are still the most likely to win gold in Sochi. ;)

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I agree. I liked Bolero. It just seems less impressive when compared to S&S' better work. If that had been the first time I saw some of those transitions and program layout, I would have been amazed.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I'm glad to hear VarBar and Cherub sticking up for "Bolero." It was so fascinatingly constructed and only suffers in context of S/S' programs. In context of last year, it was easily one of the three or four best LPs.

7. volotrankov

volotrankov New Member

From what Tanya said in 2012 during a interview at the World Championships in Nice, they were never married, the press was the one that said they were.

8. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I guess now even I have the courage to admit I liked Bolero. Not as much as Pina or Adagio - but I liked it.

9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I liked it but I didn't like to costumes.

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

It's a warhorse but probably not lyrical snot. :lol:
    I hope that S/S challenge themselves artistically this year.

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think that's a given :)

And I still didn't like Bolero.

12. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Well I don't think anyone imagined that some people expressing their appreciation for Bolero would make those who didn't like the program suddenly fall in love with it. It never woks like that.;)

13. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

I think they will play it safe to win in Sochi, but after the 2014 season they will become bolder with what they attempt as they will have all the big titles and can really explore their potential.

14. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Bolero was still better than VT's Chaconne. Just not as good as Pina or Pink Panther or OOA

15. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

IMO it's very optimistic to think they'll continue competing post 2014 should they win gold, let alone with programs matching their potential. :(

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Great skaters do what they need to do to win. Legends go above and beyond and hope for something more. Vague and hopelessly cheesy, but I stand by it.

17. reut

reut Active Member

In her recent interview Mozer gave a hint about the music for the FS: "When last year we saw the show on Broadway, we discussed with excitement the possibility to use this for skating".

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Dance truth

Dance truth New Member

they don't want to buy a Apartment...they want one given to them:D

19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't think they said that they want one given to them. They just expressed that they wouldn't have it which I would interpret that they can't afford it. They are not Yu-Na Kim, I don't think they have that much spare money.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Well, Phantom of the Opera it is.....

21. Zemgirl

It's not going to be Kinky Boots, that's for sure.

Maybe they'll at least be somewhat less predictable and go with Chicago?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  22. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Les Mis? :mad::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Or was that not on Broadway?

23. reut

reut Active Member

24. Zemgirl

That might be tolerable, actually. Nice sleuthing, if it turns out to be true!

Though I'd pay good money to see a Kinky Boots program. Or them skating to Wicked :D

25. Proustable

Proustable New Member

It's still Andrew Lloyd Webber's elctro-pop schlock. Also, Maxim as Jesus would be a little too much to handle.

Very nice sleuthing, though, reut. Kudos.

26. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Trankov said: "the odds to get one in Moscow are low - the current major of town wouldn't grant the athletes flats for any achievements". Sometimes the Russian government gives their top athletes expensive gifts, sometimes apartments, for big achievements. He clearly is saying that the current mayor is not likely to give them such a gift, which means they probably hoped for it. Of course, they cannot afford to buy it, just too expensive.

27. reut

reut Active Member

:rofl:

;)

28. Zemgirl

You know he'd be all melodramatic about the whole thing - it'll be vastly entertaining! This reminds me of this blog post, from 2012 Worlds:

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Not necessarily: it may mean "In a different time we would have been given an apartment, and we could afford to stay, but not now, so we've made other plans."

Ballet dancers in Moscow face the same issue: in the past they might have been assigned better/affordable housing, or given apartments if they're stars like Osipova (as part of a deal to lure her to another company) or Tsiskaridze (gifted by an oligarch), but now they're being paid relatively low wages and expected to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

It's a win for where they're going, since there's already a concentration of coaches in Moscow. Berezhnaia and Trankov wouldn't have become workd-class skaters without the developmental coaches they had in the "sticks" and maybe some up-and-comers who are not yet being subsidized might find where they're going more affordable.

30. frillit

frillit Member

Great to hear they arent resting on their laurels and know they need to skate great to win. Does Maxim moving to Sochi after the Games means the partnership with Volosozhar is already over after Olympics, and they arent even going to post Olympic Worlds or doing any shows together?