`We can't afford mistakes this season' Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Trankov

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Jul 8, 2013.

1. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I love Kurt's skating too but Kurt never was a great spinner.

Hmm, the Chinese show producers over the years have invited more or less the same non-local skaters to attend as the producers of Yuna's shows for example, such as Browning, Yagudin, Lambiel, Chan, Slutskaya, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Buttle, Weir or Rochette. I've also seen Arakawa and Cohen performing in China a coupe of years back. The programs all these skaters skated in Chinese shows were the same as the ones they presented at other shows they did the same season and I'm not quite sure they skated worse in China than in other parts of the world. So I don't know why Trankov says that the level is not that high in Chinese shows.:confused:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Member

Interesting, thanks for explaining!
  3. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

So V/T are moving to Sochi, buying houses, and opening school together. It's a bit confusing, but does this mean they are a couple off-ice? I'm a little out of loop. Anyone enlight me?
  4. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I was surprised by that statement too. As for other things, presumably some of the skaters who have skated in China could have told something to Trankov. All of Lambiel, Browning, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Rochette and ice acrobats Besedin/Polischuk skated both in 'Artistry on Ice' shows, as well as in 'All That Skate' together with Volosozhar/Trankov this season. We don't know about conditions in which skaters live, train and travel during the shows, but I think the level of a skating show is firstly defined by the cast, and then the visual "design" of the show (the quality of lighting and the visuals that are used). The cast of 'Artistry on Ice' has been great from the beginning, but especially these two last years. And this year the lighting and visuals were also great. And there was both rain from above and lamp posts, as well as a bench on the ice (complete with a policeman Zhao Hongbo :)) for Browning's 'Singing In The Rain' program - unlike in 'All That Skate' shows where he barely talked them into pouring a bucket of water from above at the very end. Kurt seemed pretty much ecstatic about the setting when talking about it in the press conference.

Yes, apparently.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  5. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Had high hope for them but not any more. boring programs. Hate their SP last season. always like V, but T comes across as arrogant and rude. What he said about Chinese show seems to be sour grape. I' m hoping S/S win the OGM with two great program now.
  6. Knigolubka

Knigolubka New Member

Lol, you think they were not invited? They had a lot offers this season with the new World title and all but chose Korea and Japan because they like them the most.
    S/S rarely have both good SP and LP. Like with Pina (a masterpiece) they had a very meh SP. Or this year both their programs were mediocre.
  7. reut

reut Active Member

Indeed, I think, Maxim mentioned in some interview that they got more invitations and some of them they had to decline as they wanted to concentrate on the preparation for the Olympic season. But people here were just trying to find some reasonable explanation why suddenly he starts to bitch about shows he even wasn't present at. He was right about "too much work", from what I gathered this year they had shows, moving from the show to show, open rehearsals for media and fans in each of the four cities and press conferences in each of the four cities. But he was also wrong about: "there are no vacation days" - not true, "the level is not that high either" - totally not true. So what exactly he was trying to prove? Don't know. Probably he just loves bitching about things without any specific reason? :D

Some of S/S programs were better these last seasons, some were worse, but there wasn't even one season/program when they were worse than the blah programs T/V were skating, that's for sure.
  8. morqet

morqet Active Member

Oh please, their programs this year were terrible, empty and boring, and I'd watch V/T's FS from this year 100 times over before sitting through that version of Bolero again.
  9. reut

reut Active Member

Well, I have a feeling it has nothing to do with S/S Bolero. :)
    It's so obvious who out of these two pairs has better programs over the years that it's even boring to discuss it, sorry.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Indeed.

I' rather rewatch neither, the only pairs LPs that I liked (and can still remember) from last season are K/S's February and maybe J/C's Pearl Harbor. But at least S/S keep trying to challenge themselves and to try different things, and don't have thirty second tragic/dramatic posing sections in the LP.

V/T's cheesy Godfather was even more painful than S/S's Flamenco Bolero. Mercifully it was shorter. I could not have taken another two minutes of that :scream:
  11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Well the British commentators LOVED ghost...
    I think that Elena and Nikita did about as well as they could with it, but Morozov actually believed that he was giving them a masterpiece. Remember the fan cam of him at the boards singing through the entire song?
    Also it did bring them A LOT of attention (bad press is better than no press, right?)
  12. Macassar88

Yes, but I think they're still getting coaching from Stanislas Morozov (Volosozhar's husband). Awkward...
  13. Zemgirl

I don't believe Volosozhar and Stas Morozov were ever actually married, but yes, he was her common law husband.

I read an article that examined that. The researchers focused on authors/books and not skaters/programs, but the results showed that bad publicity/reviews were only good for unknown authors, as it raised awareness regarding their books. But negative publicity actually hurt book sales for better known authors. I think I/K would fall in the skating equivalent of the latter group ;)

That Morozov has crap taste is not surprising.
  14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

You would think enough skaters had read FSU by now to know Morosov's choreography is generally disliked by 99.9% of skating fans. Or the judges would have. Yet, skaters keep going to him and judges keep giving skaters points. :lol: Why aren't they listening to the fans? :drama:
  15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I thought only one of the British commentators liked Ghost? And they were the only one in the world!! The Morozov video explains why you would go with a war horse rather than be interesting because people can believe something new they do can be good Or interesting but it's really seen as one ofthe worst dances ever done. So far it's happened to two Russian ice dance teams in the past 5 years! So better to be safe!

The post about the books is interesting! Bad reviews for established is bad but not so much for new authors!

Obviously I/k dealt with a severe technical collapse at 2013 worlds when they were 15th in Tes out of 20 but their program being agreed as one of the worst ever surely got to them on their biggest stage of the season.
  16. Macassar88

Who is the second Russian dance team? Dom Shabs don't count because Linichuk did that to take attention from Maxim's injuries. Also they got 3rd in the OD and overall in Vancouver.
    And IK also won the silver at Euros and made it to the GPF, two more firsts with GHost
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
  18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

How about k/n on the gp in 2009 or b/s with Delilah! It was actually more than 2 excluding d/s. But the whole issue remains that I/k were dealing with everyone hating their f/d and than totally bombed at worlds. Falling to 15.th or so in Tes. Lack of training or nerves and maybe nerves over all the hate of their program?
  19. Macassar88

KN and BS had some of the UGLIEST costumes...
    Good thing Zhulin is giving them interesting material with classy costumes now.
  20. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

I believe, in reference to the thread topic, that Maxim is correct. This team cannot afford any mistakes, and I believe this is true because they have been given the benefit of high marks while making errors.

What the judges now CRAVE from them are CLEAN performances with the same skills they have been rewarded for doing since they started skating together.
  21. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i think it's a thing related to morozov and ice dance. his programs there weren't really great.

but you have to admit, that he did some great programs for singles and pairs.

miki andos 'memoirs of a geisha' sp, her olympic cleoptra lp, pang/tong's pearl fishers sp and especially sasha cohens dark eyes and malaguena (which is one of the best short programs in ladies ever imo)
  22. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I think it's that the judges love Volosozhar/Trankov and are willing to ignore the awful Morosov choreography. :p
  23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

That's what I do. :) Yea Judges. :cheer2:
  24. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Never knew who the David Wilson of Artistry on Ice was but I thought they had some very nicely choreographed cast numbers in China.

While Bolero wasn't as valuable as Pina, I still found it more interestingly constructed and more challenging in how S/S linked the elements together than V/T's program. I have to wonder how V/T, with their skills, would score on the PC mark if they skated to Ingo Steuer choreographies. Even the less creative ones.

There was a time when it seemed everyone wanted Morozov to choreograph for them. I don't know of many today. But don't worry though, V/T are still the most likely to win gold in Sochi. ;)
  25. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I agree. I liked Bolero. It just seems less impressive when compared to S&S' better work. If that had been the first time I saw some of those transitions and program layout, I would have been amazed.
  26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I'm glad to hear VarBar and Cherub sticking up for "Bolero." It was so fascinatingly constructed and only suffers in context of S/S' programs. In context of last year, it was easily one of the three or four best LPs.
  27. volotrankov

volotrankov New Member

From what Tanya said in 2012 during a interview at the World Championships in Nice, they were never married, the press was the one that said they were.
  28. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I guess now even I have the courage to admit I liked Bolero. Not as much as Pina or Adagio - but I liked it.
  29. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I liked it but I didn't like to costumes.
  30. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

It's a warhorse but probably not lyrical snot. :lol:
    I hope that S/S challenge themselves artistically this year.
  31. Zemgirl

I think that's a given :)

And I still didn't like Bolero.
  32. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Well I don't think anyone imagined that some people expressing their appreciation for Bolero would make those who didn't like the program suddenly fall in love with it. It never woks like that.;)
  33. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

I think they will play it safe to win in Sochi, but after the 2014 season they will become bolder with what they attempt as they will have all the big titles and can really explore their potential.
  34. Macassar88

Bolero was still better than VT's Chaconne. Just not as good as Pina or Pink Panther or OOA
  35. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

IMO it's very optimistic to think they'll continue competing post 2014 should they win gold, let alone with programs matching their potential. :(
  36. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Great skaters do what they need to do to win. Legends go above and beyond and hope for something more. Vague and hopelessly cheesy, but I stand by it.
  37. reut

reut Active Member

In her recent interview Mozer gave a hint about the music for the FS: "When last year we saw the show on Broadway, we discussed with excitement the possibility to use this for skating".
  38. Dance truth

Dance truth New Member

they don't want to buy a Apartment...they want one given to them:D
  39. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't think they said that they want one given to them. They just expressed that they wouldn't have it which I would interpret that they can't afford it. They are not Yu-Na Kim, I don't think they have that much spare money.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  40. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Well, Phantom of the Opera it is.....