We Are the World - 25 Year Later

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DBZ, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I think I knew 5 faces in this thing, and one of them was Jeff Bridges.

I must be old because I'd rather listen to Willie Nelson.

2. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I don't mind Auto Tune in the right context.. but WATW is NOT the right context! I heard this on the radio yesterday while I was cleaning my apartment and was like wtf is this?? But again.. as I said in the bachelor thread.. it could have been because I was just in a bad mood. I'll have to listen to it again when I'm in a better mood.

Suriprised about Wyclef.. I usually like him quite a bit!

3. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

DTNIC is light years ahead of this hot mess. Seriously.

4. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Having Justin Beiber open the song and including Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers in it just make it totally bootleg.

5. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

Maybe what it does is pull in a demographic that wouldn't be hit by the other singers, which isn't a bad idea if you're trying to get as many people as possible to listen and donate. Perhaps somebody thought, hmmm ... if those little tweens and young teens can afford all those freaking ringtones, let's see if we can get them to swallow this spoonful o'crap and cough up some money.

6. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

The original wasn't exactly a masterpiece - ok it was a bit hokey - but at least it was reasonably cohesive. In any event, it was one style of music (that Very Special Episode 80s feel). The 2010 was... I don't know, it just felt very kitchen sink, like they were compelled to throw every style of music under the sun in there, plus the random Autotune moments.

I can't help but think the last time QJ enforced the "check your egos at the door" rule, and this time the end product seemed to reflect a lot of ego management (gotta give this person a solo, gotta give that person a solo, gotta squeeze 6 music genres in there...)

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

When I saw some footage of the celebs arriving and walking a red carpet, I knew this wasn't going to be in the spirit of the first one.

Personally I always had a soft spot for Tears Are Not Enough (Canadian song done in 1985).

8. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I much preferred the original "We are the World," and "Do They Know It's Christmas?" but my favorite of the three is "Tears are Not Enough."