We Are the World - 25 Year Later

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DBZ, Feb 13, 2010.

1. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI

Thoughts?

Hardly seems fair to critique given the impetus behind this, but nevertheless, comparisons to the original are unavoidable.

Honestly, I wasn't particularly moved by this version...at all, really. Maybe it's because the original left such an indelible mark on pop culture, that anything would pale in comparison.

But regardless, it came off feeling like a giant PR stunt. It seemed like every actor and musician was in this, and of course all the big names each get their "moment" in the spotlight, replete with heavy autotune backing them up.

What say you?
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

It sucked!

And once again a bunch of no headed rockheads will run out and buy this crap.
  3. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Typical in that it follows the general rule of original vs. remake patterns:

Sorry... nice try, but it was already done right the first time around.
  4. shah

shah Well-Known Member

the aim is really noble, but listening to Enrique, wailing Wyclef, or autotuned Lil Wayne and Akon was a bit too much...I hope it will raise a lot of funds for the earthquake victims, but the final result does not really live up to expectations (btw, the same happened imho to Band Aid 20 whose "Do They Know It's Christmas" couldn't really be compared to the original version from 1984...)
  5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I found it painful. Celine over-singing (like always), all the rapping thrown in so those people could have their moment in the spotlight and a lot of untalented annoying poppets like Jonases and Miley Cyrus...ouch.
  6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If the proceeds go to charity then why the hate?
  7. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

Steaming pile of caca. Seriously, indescribably BAD. I understand now why Beyonce decided not to take part...only wish Barbara Streisand had declined as well. What an embarrassment!
  8. duane

duane New Member

:respec:

NOT!
  9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

And what was with the echo effect on everybody? Jennifer Hudson needs no more help with reverberation! It sounded SO cheap!
  10. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

After they pay who, what and where?
  11. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Oh, god...Enrique and Wyclef. :yikes:

Soon as I heard Enrique's vibrato I flashbacked to that awful, melodramatic music vid he did with Jennifer Love Hewitt. Can that guy ever sing without sounding like he's trying to seduce you? Haiti doesn't need your "sexy" voice, Enrique.

And Wyclef...wow...I'm not too familiar with his music, but does he normally sing this way? His sheep "honking" was so distracting it was comical.

Also, did anyone spot Vince Vaughn in the crowd? Was he this version's Dan Aykroyd, or something? I kept thinking, "WTF is he doing there?"
  12. silverstars

silverstars New Member

I think that the fact that it's going to charity is great...

...but I absolutely hated it. The lead singer from the Pussycat Dolls?! Miley Cyrus?! ENRIQUE?! I think that they would have been better off re-releasing the original as some sort of special charity package or something.

Sometimes I wonder why they pick who they do for these charity albums. I think that it's such a great idea to do it, but a lot of times it seems like they pick out the most talentless people possible or just go for the big names over actual talent (although they got Barbra to do this...I wonder how they managed that?). I remember they did something like this with John Lennon's songs a few years ago and my friend bought it for me as a gift. I liked that the money was going to charity, but the second I put the CD in and heard Avril Lavigne signing "Imagine," I just couldn't deal with it....
  13. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

Okay, I don't feel quite so badly now. I was thinking the same thing, that the new version doesn't compare to the original and IMO certain singers in particular almost seemed to be trying to upstage the others. ITA about it coming off as a PR opportunity for those involved.

I do tell myself that at the end of the day no matter why the new "We are the World" was done or how the singers handled their parts the important thing is the money being raised for the relief efforts in Haiti.
  14. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I thought it was AWFUL... :scream: :scream: :scream:

The original is waaaaaaaaaaay better!
  15. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

They should have done a special artistic CD cover on the original CD; more people would buy that I think.
  16. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

:scream: AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!!!!! Lil' Wayne with the shitty Autotune that has recently ruined music and real singing, Justin Bieber opening the song :yikes: stupid rap part that shouldn't have been there (I love hip-hop but it just should NOT have been there!), Wyclef Jean's screaming... all I heard was crap crap crap.... except for the Janet/Michael duet, Celine Dion, and... that's about it.
  17. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

And the original sucked. It shouldn't have been hard to do better. And yet...
  18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It was not the best of songs. With all those different vocal styles and such, it was always a bit of a mish-mash to me. It lacks vocal harmony. The new version isn't much better.
  19. duane

duane New Member

Tell me about it!!

But as bad as the original was, the huge number of A-List stars was impressive. Other than Prince (who reportedly was to do a duet with MJ but backed out at the last minute), nearly every elite artist at the time participated. 25 years later, we have old-timers, has-beens, who-dats, and how-comes (as in...they're famous?? How come?)
    FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.
  20. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

I thought it was no worse than the original. :shuffle: There were some rough parts in it, but overall it was about as well done as the original. I found the MJ dubs to be quite disconcerting and just tacky.

As for the complaints about who sang, consider these stellar participants from the original 25 years ago:
    Dan Ackroyd
    Kim Carnes
    Sean Hopper
    Mario Cipollina
    Latoya Jackson
    Willie "Warble All Over The Place" Nelson

If those folks don't make you scratch your head, why should you be bothered by Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber? ;)
  21. duane

duane New Member

Soloists of WATW 1985: Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Kenny Rogers, James Ingram, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Willie Nelson, Al Jarreau, Bruce Springsteen, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry, Darryl Hall, Huey Lewis, Cyndi Lauper, Kim Carnes, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles.

Soloists of WATW 2010: Justin Bieber, Jennifer Hudson, Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Nettles, Josh Groban, Tony Bennett, Mary J Blige, Janet Jackson, Barbra Streisand, Miley Cyrus, Enrique Iglesias, Jamie Foxx, Wyclef, Adam Levine, Pink, BeBe Winans, Usher, Celine Dion, Fergie, Nick Jonas, Toni Braxton, Mary Mary, Isaac Slade, Lil Wayne, Akon, T-Pain, LL Cool J, Will.i.am, Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, Swizz Beatz, lyaz, Kanye West.
  22. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

^^ I'm not sure what the point was of duane's posting. But I do think the reasons some people think the 1985 soloists were better is because (a) that's when they (the listeners, not the stars) were in their "formative" years, musically speaking, and we all know how much better things were back when we were young :rolleyes: , and (b) the 1985 soloists have had 25 years to sort of stand the test of time. Many of the current batch are still fairly early in their careers, relative to the 1985 batch. Let's see how they stack up in 25 years.

I'm not saying I thought it as a great song/video -- far from it. But it wasn't the monstrosity I was expectating based on the panning it got here.
  23. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

The end of the song is really bad--what is Wyclef doing?

And I'm not a fan of Auto-Tune, so Akon and T-Pain did not sound good to me.
  24. duane

duane New Member

The "point" was to list the soloists and to allow people to make up their own minds as to which group is more "stellar".

As I said earlier, IMO the number of A-list stars of WATW 1985 was impressive. The soloists were artists who--at that time--were top-selling artists (Michael Jackson and "Thriller", Springsteen and "Born in the USA", Richie and "Can't Slow Down", Tina Turner and "Private Dancer", Cindy Lauper and "She's So Unusual", Huey Lewis and "Sports", Billy Joel and "An Innocent Man"...), music icons, and Grammy Award winners. I would say nearly every soloist of the original WATW had instant name recognition in 1985, and when the purpose of a song is to raise money, you want the top artists. I think this is why the original WATW--as bad a song it is--became so popular, because people were simply fascinated by the collaboration of so many top artists.
  25. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

The remake was an absolute travesty. Not that the first version was ever anything to write home about, but it was the first time that anyone had attempted to do a recording like this with such a large group of respected musicians (operative word, not musically engineered noise makers), many of whom had long and well-respected careers even at that time.

I am still trying to figure out why Jermaine Jackson is mad for not being asked to participate. I understand that his ego is large enough for him to be offended because he wasn't included. However, he should be glad his name isn't attached to this hot mess.
  26. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

The more things change the more they stay the same. The song sucked 25 years ago and it still sucks.
    Veronika and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

A noted couple of changes that would have improved this new version immensely . Two artists that should have been included as Soloists and not just in the background ... Gladys Knight and Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart). :respec:
  28. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

Aside: I hate that Bob Geldof's "Do They Know It's Christmas" gets short shrift because of the WATW hoo-hah 25 years ago. Bob did it first, and he did it better!
  29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

And The Jonas Brothers for feck's sake!!! It's like Tiger Beat was sitting in on the session!
  30. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

ITA. DTNIC is a better song, IMO.
  31. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I think I knew 5 faces in this thing, and one of them was Jeff Bridges.

I must be old because I'd rather listen to Willie Nelson.
  32. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I don't mind Auto Tune in the right context.. but WATW is NOT the right context! I heard this on the radio yesterday while I was cleaning my apartment and was like wtf is this?? But again.. as I said in the bachelor thread.. it could have been because I was just in a bad mood. I'll have to listen to it again when I'm in a better mood.

Suriprised about Wyclef.. I usually like him quite a bit!
  33. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

DTNIC is light years ahead of this hot mess. Seriously.
  34. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Having Justin Beiber open the song and including Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers in it just make it totally bootleg.
  35. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

Maybe what it does is pull in a demographic that wouldn't be hit by the other singers, which isn't a bad idea if you're trying to get as many people as possible to listen and donate. Perhaps somebody thought, hmmm ... if those little tweens and young teens can afford all those freaking ringtones, let's see if we can get them to swallow this spoonful o'crap and cough up some money.
  36. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

The original wasn't exactly a masterpiece - ok it was a bit hokey - but at least it was reasonably cohesive. In any event, it was one style of music (that Very Special Episode 80s feel). The 2010 was... I don't know, it just felt very kitchen sink, like they were compelled to throw every style of music under the sun in there, plus the random Autotune moments.

I can't help but think the last time QJ enforced the "check your egos at the door" rule, and this time the end product seemed to reflect a lot of ego management (gotta give this person a solo, gotta give that person a solo, gotta squeeze 6 music genres in there...)
  37. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

When I saw some footage of the celebs arriving and walking a red carpet, I knew this wasn't going to be in the spirit of the first one.

Personally I always had a soft spot for Tears Are Not Enough (Canadian song done in 1985).
  38. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I much preferred the original "We are the World," and "Do They Know It's Christmas?" but my favorite of the three is "Tears are Not Enough."