Wagner picks Arutunian to join coaching team

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Thank you. Does anyone know who will choreograph for her?

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

4. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Great news! I believe that Arutunian will be a good match for Ashley. Thanks for the update.

5. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I kinda figured this was going to happen. Great choice. Rafael seems a little less crotchety than Nicks LOL. Rafael will most likely assist her with the 3/3 combinations and hopefuly her double footing.

I liked this video with Ash. She seems so transparent and touchable; you feel like you can relate to what she is saying.

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I can't think of a better choice. Hope it works out well.

7. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

good and smart choice

8. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

WOW That's a great news. Good for her!

9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Not surprising, but I'm happy. He's a great coach.

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

She's made a lot of good choices going into next season :)

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Who else.

Hopefully the 3flip3toe can finally materialize.

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

RA will make the already improved jumps better. Ashley is making some great choices.

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Best of both worlds IMO. RA is an excellent technical coach and I've always noticed that skaters' jumps get stronger under him. This makes me hopeful for Ashley's chances of getting that 3F-3T consistent. It's not a matter of can she do it or not; I've seen video of her hitting some good ones in practice...it's just very untested in competition b/c she was very wishy-washy about including it.

Now that there isn't an option to include it (it's a must for her if she wants to maintain her position) I think we'll see it on a regular basis, and with RA helping her, I think her chances of getting it consistent are great.

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

A great choice, I believe.

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Definitely a sound choice, Rafael is an excellent technical coach. :respec:

16. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Great! I hope Ashley finds this coaching combination supportive and helpful (especially technically) and the choreographers inspiring. All good choices. Now the tough work is up to Ashley, but she doesn't seem to shy away from hard work. I wish her very good luck.

O-

17. Maureen

Maureen Member

Great News. I was hoping Ashley would work with Rafael. Wishing her a great season!!!

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I in no way think I have a good understanding of this. Having said that, everyone says Arutunian is a great technical coach....not even disputing that. But, Mao's jumps were not technically great. Michelle had some of her worst skating ever under his guidance.

Cohen loved training with him, but was injured and had to withdraw from her GP events, did well in the SP at US Nats, but not the long. Cohen, had different issues.....but still.

So, I have always had the impression that Arutunian is "good on paper" but his skaters are not great on the ice. So I am a little worried about Ashley choosing him as a jump coach. Also, the commute between Lake Arrowhead and OC is not fun or short.

19. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Michelle's jumps did improve under Rafael considering her injuries. Rafael also did wonders with Buttle and his Axel problems.
    Sasha is another story...we don't know exactly why she left him.

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Mao was with RA for only a season and a half. Had she remained with him her jumps probably would not have deteriorated the way they did for two seasons.

Michelle's jumps actually got better while she was under RA, and that was during the last years of her career (2003-2005). During those years she had spotless skates at nationals twice, worlds (2003) and two very solid skates at worlds in 2004.

Your "worst skating ever" reference came from the very last major competition she participated in (2005 worlds) where she was competing under the new system for the first time. Her qualifying round was terrible but she finished the competition in 4th place which, granted, was unheard of for Michelle (having not missed a podium in 10 years) but when you put it in perspective it was a decent placement for anyone else. Saying RA was responsible for Michelle's worst finish ever (which was only 4th) at the end of a 10+ year career isn't fair to him or her.

When you're talking about Sasha Cohen and jumps, you can't point the finger at anybody but her...

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Not that I'm agreeing that RA is the problem... but I believe Michelle was with Scott Williams in 2003. At least he was with her at worlds.

22. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Great choice for Ashley. I love how she has put a lot of thought into her choice of coaches these past few years, first Nicks, now Arutunian, in addition to her choreographers and costuming, just the whole package. I think her jumps will improve.

23. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for the updates, Sylvia. Rafael with David and Shae-Lynn as her choreographers - definitely good choices, IMO.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Arutunian really helped Buttle and Kwan with their jump quality. As for Asada, she did achieve the most technically difficult free skate (for her, if not ever) while under him, at 2008 GPF.

I think it's too late to fix Wagner's flutz for Sochi, but he can definitely help push her with those big tricks.

25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

IDK. Her flutz doesn't look severe. Maybe it can happen

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if Ashley is so intent on upping her technical content why she is doing so many shows this summer. It's almost July and she's booked for more shows and all that travel takes it's toll. Makes me wonder when the hard training is going to happen because 3-3's don't happen overnight. Meanwhile Gracie is continuing to work on upping her jumps even more. D/W aren't doing any shows either because they are preparing for Sochi.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I fear the possibility of too many cooks stirring the pot, Raphael and Nicks. No need to stay with Nicks imo. Jammers, maybe she needs the money to fund two coaches.
    Do nicks and Raphael coach at the same place? I wasn't aware they did and if they don't, Ashley is just adding more wear and tear on herself.

28. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

At the end of the season she claimed to want to take it easy on the travel for the Olympic year. Hmmm.

29. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think many skaters have multiple coaches (one main coaches and others are experts on certain things, esp. jumps). I don't see this situation as 'too many cooks'. Nicks can work on the mental aspect while RA works on her jump technique, upping the technical content, etc. Also, given Nick's desire to retire, Ashley is now guaranteed a coach to replace him, if he feels too weak to handle the stress.

30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Traveling to Korea and then Japan in July... hmmmmm