Wagner in the Washington Post

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Wyliefan, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

2. zigzig

zigzig Active Member

I've always liked her and that article just made me root for her even more. Wishing her amazing skates in Sochi that she'll be happy with regardless of placement.

3. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Great feature on our hometown hero. Go Ashley Wagner of Alexandria, VA!

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That is a fine article.

Whether you agree with the choices she has made, or not; Ashley is to be admired for having the courage of her convictions, and standing by them.

5. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I just have so much respect for her. ahe has a tremendous fighting spirit.

I'll be cheering loudly for her from home! :cheer:

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That was my impression as well. Glad she has so much self-awareness to correct the mistake in the nick of time. :kickass: Ashley!

7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Fantastic article. Go out there and skate your heart out Ashley!! :respec: :cheer: :biggrinbo :cheer2:

8. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

That was a nice article. I wish she could medal, but there is so much competition for those three spots. She may have to be satisfied with a medal from the team competition.

If Yuna and Mao pass on worlds she may have a shot at a world medal.

9. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

With Worlds being in Japan, I would be surprised to see Mao pass on the event.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She is probably contractually required to compete at Worlds.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I read somewhere that Mao and Carolina plan on competing at worlds. In Yu na's case, I suspect she will decide after the Olympics. Even if two or three of these don't appear at worlds, there is plenty of competition- the two Russian ladies, Canada's Osmond, and the USA's Gold, and possibly Suzuki & Murakami.

12. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the link. I have always loved Her. Not just the skating but her determination, grit, and honesty.
    Hope she medals. Would be a great end to this chapter in her book.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

Great stuff. Confirms the impression she made on me. And I can't believe Sochi's there already! Good luck Ashley!

14. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I really liked the article -- Ashley sounds very self-aware and determined without coming off as arrogant. I hope she has a great experience in Sochi.

15. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

They did skip over a number of areas... like when the Wagner family had moved to Delaware and Ashley decided to live with Priscilla Hill instead, not even seeing her family on holidays.

16. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

How I love an article that has actually obviously searched the background, is well-written and knowledgeable. :kickass: A fantastic read.

I can't believe I only now realized that this is, in fact, going to be Ashley's first Olympics! For some reason I was under the impression that she skated in Vancouver, but non. I'm so happy she's going to get the experience. :)

17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

And this is relevant, how???

It was not exactly a full length biography LOL! I am sure if she wins a medal she will write one and you can read all the family dirty laundry

But of course if we have a chance to "gossip" on here we won't miss it will we?

18. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I wish Ashley well. I hope that she really surprises skeptics in Sochi. I had a dream last night: that USA won Team Gold (in part due to mistakes of other faves, which could happen)...Gracie and Ashley both earn Gold medals...Gracie for the SP and Ashley for the LP! Hey, one can dream, eh?

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

She sounds very conflicted to me, but I hope she skates her best at Sochi. I don't know what to think of her father, considering the comment in this article and his response in another article when she complained to him about having to live off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  20. Minou

Minou Member

"Unassailable" criteria...seriously. I am flummoxed by the assertion by a "journalist" (as opposed to an oped writer). NB, I don't think Wagner deserves to be attacked for this.

21. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I just listened to her interview on The Skating Lesson, and combined with this interview I realized I adore her. She's honest and refreshing - and those are excellent qualities in an athlete in terms of the media and accessibility.

22. BlueRidge

The journalist didn't say the criteria was unassailable, she wrote that the selection of Ashley was unassailable given the criteria. That's a pretty safe statement given what the criteria were. Ashley met them, no matter how many people don't like that fact. You have to ignore what the criteria were to criticize the selection or you have to criticize the criteria themselves.

23. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

:cheer2: I live in Alexandria near Ashley's old rink and high school; both places have been putting up congratulatory messages for Ashley. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  24. BlueRidge

Cool!

I'm over here in Landmark everyday. :)

25. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

As a formal long time resident of Lorton, VA (just south of Alexandria), I'm thrilled with this well written article about Ashley. I wasn't thrilled with some of the comments but whatever.
    I'll be rooting for Ashley in Sochi as well as the whole USA figure skating team. I can't believe it's finally almost here.

26. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

It's wonderful to see such a well written article on a figure skating personality, especially Ashley!

I suppose it is being discussed in Olympics threads re the advance news that Jeremy and Ashley are expected to be doing the short programs in the team event.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...e-skating-team-event-20140204,0,5321192.story

I think good choices for the singles, with Gracie and Jason probably skating their free programs. Ashley seems comfortable with her sp, and she brings a lot of attitude to it!

27. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I agree with Jason for the FS, but I think there's a better chance of Gracie skating a clean SP with clean 3-3 than Ashley at this point...

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am still hoping for my fantasy NBC fluff piece entitled 'homosexual revolution' with Wagner running around Sochi waving rainbow flags, with Army of Lovers' "Sexual Revolution" playing in the background. :D
    :)lol: at one of the top comments being 'Vladimir Putin's secret Favourite tune!')

Wagner's SP is stunning but both Gold and Edmunds are more likely to skate a clean program, with a 3-3 combination.

29. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Good article- Liz Clarke has been writing some nice profiles on athletes going to Sochi.

Best of luck to Ashley! :cheer2:

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The article almost makes it sound as if she keeps Adam Rippon as a pet.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.