Wa-Po article: Evan Lysacek expects to be in Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Apr 8, 2013.

1. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No because of Takahashi as well. Was Takahashi not doing a complete program in accordance with the IJS? Anyone doing quads or trying quads was making a huge mistake. 100% dumb thing to do for anyone. Takahashi should've looked at what IJS was doing to quads more and been like "ur can make it worth zero points? better follow IJS and not even try it!" He didn't even do one all season!

2. caseyedwards

I know all this. But its not made clear if Lysacek will have a quad in the SP. They only discuss 1 quad in the SP. It's a problem from the question to the answer.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

It's not a problem for Lysacek. You might have to wait until February 2014 to get an answer, but that's not Carroll's problem, either.

4. caseyedwards

I doubt he will get a bye to the Olympics so his program design will be previewed at least at nationals beforehand. But there could be no quad in the SP there at nationals and maybe one at the Olympics. It will certainly be discussed beforehand though.

5. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Takahashi at 2011 NHK scored 90.43 for a clean short program with no quad, so maybe Lysacek doesn't need a quad in the SP to score as high if he can skate cleanly and get mostly +2 and +3GOE for his technical elements and ninety seems to be a very competitive TSS even today. How many of the current skaters have scored over 90 for their SPs in international competition this past season and how many times? Hanyu - two times; Chan - one time; Takahashi - one time; Denis Ten - one time. Anyone else?

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^ This is interesting. If Lysacek skates like he does in 2010 but with a quad in LP, he has a very good chance of winning. He still can return to competition if he's still fit. He's a very hard worker. I am sure he and Frank and Lori will do whatever is possible to win. Don't think he's the type who will return to lose.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

His program design will be discussed only if he asks for a bye. You seem to be confusing USFS with the Russian Federation. If Lysacek skates two quadless programs at Nationals and wins or places second, chances are over 99% that he will go to the Olympics, based on how little USFS has taken into consideration anything but Nationals placements.

8. caseyedwards

I only mentioned a bye as a way that his program wouldn't be seen before February. So at nationals if he skates there a plan will be public. I was only bringing that up as a response to your no one will know what he plans until February which is not true as he will do if he plans to go to the Olympics events before nationals. I was not really thinking of him getting a bye at all. If he didn't do a quad at nationals in the SP or the LP or just one in the LP that would be in all likelihood what he does at the Olympics. At that point in January or before a basic design of his LP will be public. Nothing to do with federations.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's already been pointed out that Lysacek will have to earn the required TES minimum score at an international competition prior to 2014 Nationals if he intends to be considered for Olympic team selection. Then again, he doesn't have to include a quad in competition if the jump is not ready this fall.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Nor does he have to do a quad a Nationals to do one att the Olympics. I never watched any of the 2010 Nationals programs, but upsteam someone said he downgraded his program at the Olympics, and I assume he attempted a quad there. There's nothing to obligate a skater to rettry the same elements from competition to competition, and many US skaters say US Nats is the most pressure-filled of all of their competitons. He could be more conservative there than in Sochi, which is his last stand.

11. caseyedwards

His Olympic program matched exactly what he did at all pre-nationals events. Skate America, COC and GPF. So at nationals he got rid of the second 3A and added a quad but then did exactly the previous program at the Olympics. So it's possible that if he did an event to get the TES minimums and then Skate America than that would be it. If he just does an event for minimums and then US nationals then that's only two events and probably it with no changes at the Olympics. He had so many tests of his Olympic programs during the GP season.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

So that guarantees he'll do the same this season, four years later, when he hasn't competed since.

13. caseyedwards

It would just be strange to do something for the first time at an Olympics for anyone. Almost everyone tests what they plan in an official setting. This goes for almost every skater.