Wa-Po article: Evan Lysacek expects to be in Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Apr 8, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Nothing much new here except for his thought on the quad, which seem to have come full circle, but he's still planning on a comeback:

From the Washington Post

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. Sylvia

My recent hearsay info is that Lysacek has been training triple-triples.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He didn't outskate plushenko. He outscored him. Big difference. The author is wrong. The system was changed because his outscoring was so atrocious and wrong.

Lysaceks view on the quad doesn't seem to have changed. He would prefer not to see them and have skaters be clean. Rarely ever skating clean with a quad I could see why he would prefer not to see them but lots of skaters can not only skate clean with 1 quad but 2 or even 3. He really doesn't know what that is like. Not really something he ever did.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  5. caseyedwards

Lol plushenko sure is known for his mental weakness! Lysacek really unnerved plushenko!! Lol never heard that before ever! If anything it wasn't lysacek it was full realization after the sp that quads had no value.

6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Interesting article :)

I really believe, he wants to compete in Sochi.

7. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

I believe he WANTS to skate in Sochi...but I'll believe he's actually planning on giving it a go when I see him actually put blades to competitive Ice...

8. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Wrong. He did in almost everyone's eyes but yours.

I would love to see Lysacek comeback and win Olympic Gold. Seeing the reactions would be so worth it! :EVILLE:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  9. caseyedwards

It was an All triple program! Who cares?

10. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I don't. Nothing against Evan, he's a very worthy OGM, but the young crop of skaters we have had since Vancouver haven't made me missed Evan one bit. I'm much more excited for the young skaters in the US like Brown, Johnson, etc than I have been in a long time.
    Of course, if he beats everyone fair and square nothing to say about that but I have serious doubts about his comeback...Anyway, all the best to him and may the best win!

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  11. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Let me guess, he plans to be in Sochi, then next month he will announce that he will compete in Skate America, then withdraw last minute, then he will "compete" at nationals...Etc.

It just seems that it's been the same story for a couple years now, I have nothing against Evan's skating, I'm also aware he had an injury or two, but if he was serious about returning, he would have been on competitive ice already.

12. vodkashot

vodkashot New Member

I can't wait to see Lysacek's reaction when Lysacek skates cleanly, but Chan still beats him after falling twice and stumbling out of a couple more jumps in the LP.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The author is not wrong, and that is not why the system was changed.

14. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

People probably wouldnt even be upset. Right now many think (dread) Chan will win it, and so even those who dont like Evan would think it is the lesser of the two evils if that ever happened, myself included. That said Evan has no chance at the Games, will probably come about 15th. He will be on the team for sure if he shows up at Nationals though. NBC will make sure of htat.

15. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Quads had value. I like Plushenko but besides his quad his skating in Vancouver was garbage. Without a quad he would have finished below Johnny Weir probably, and with them he very nearly won gold, even if he only had to beat the most generic and forgettable Olympic winner and winning performances in history.

16. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Who are those. I dont see super young skaters in the World or the U.S emerging since then. Chan who isnt even young these days anyway was already around then, he just improved further, and suddenly became a god who can no wrong to the judges. Gaschinski came and went. Brezina is still an enigma. Fernandez and Hanyu I guess, but that is it. Then the U.S there is a dearth of young talent, with the last 3 National titles going to journeyman entertainer Bradley as a retirement gift, 30 year old Abbott, and middle aged journeyman Max something or other. I agree nobody has missed Evan, but that isnt because of great young skaters.

17. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

KimGOAT: See the quotation marks with the plus sign over there at the bottom right corner of posts? That's the multiquote feature. Click on that for every post you want to quote except the last one; when you get to the last post you want to quote, click on Reply With Quote.

And then all the posts you selected will be quoted in one post for your replies.

If Max Aaron is middle aged, I am positively ancient and should probably be enshrined by Guinness.

18. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Well for a skater he is middle aged. Skaters amateur career is supposed to be from 15 to 25, and he is 21 or 22 isnt he.

19. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I hadn't realized there were rules about such things. Someone should have told Gizmo.

Do you have that multi-quote thing down now? I'd be happy to answer questions if you have them, since you seem determined to set a new posting record.

20. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Do you mean quad-triples? Because triple-triples aren't gonna get him very far. Evan's OGM-winning FS from 4 years ago has content that would make it hard for him to scrape into the top 10 at Worlds, and a number of skaters at JUNIOR worlds were trying more technically challenging programs than that, even. In fact, Jason Brown had a clean FS with content harder than Evan's OGM FS (both had no quad and two 3a, one in combo with 2t, but Evan had one 3-3 and in the first half of his program and his 3 jump combo was a 3-2-2, while Jason had two 3-3 combos (one counting as his 3 jump combo) and both were in the 2nd half) and it wasn't even enough to win JW, and that was with a few expected heavy-hitters missing from the field. So you get the picture.

Evan needs quads to be competitive for top 10 in Sochi, and that's IF he's retained his level of artistry, conditioning, spin and footwork difficulty and levels, flexibility, and transitioning ability from Vancouver. To have any hope to medal he'd need to have at least 1 quad in the FS, land it, land everything else, skate to the level he did in Vancouver, and then hope others make mistakes too. So considering he was injured, hasn't competed since Vancouver, is nearly 28, and never had a consistent quad in even his prime I'm going to believe his comeback and the seriousness of it when I see him competing next season. It's a huge ask and idk if he can do it. He already won Olympic Gold and if he goes back the result is likely to be much, much, lower. As they say, once you're on top, there's only one way to go...it would really look silly IMO, especially if he were to get named to the team in a controversial matter over a younger more deserving skater who isn't going to retire directly afterwards. Plus the 3a isn't a good jump for him either, at the GPF in 2009 he popped it in the FS and even landed it looks more like a salchow and won't get much GOE, and that's a big issue too as 3a and quads are where most of the guys are really racking up GOE points these days.

21. stevlin

stevlin Member

Evan was better than Plushenko, he won the Olympic gold. Plushenko did all the hard jumps in the first two and a half minutes, then he mostly posed his butt off. Evan jumped through out the 4 and 1/2 minutes. What do they call that what Plush did....."front loading"?

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

So, to bring up the topic again about "come back skaters".....

"If the rules don't change. This year's definition of a "Come-Back
    Skater/Couple" is "Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6
    within the past 10 years at an ISU World Figure Skating Championship) and
    subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be
    given priority consideration to re-enter the Grand Prix for selection of up to 2
    assignments" (if they commit in writing, etc. It also says they "would be
    considered for selection as a Host Country Choice," but while there might be
    pressure for USFS to use one spot at Skate America for Lysacek, which they
    probably would anyway, last year Weir was assigned to Rostelecom Cup and Trophee
    Bompard, and Ando was assigned to Cup of China and Trophee Bompard. "

Is this a correct/accurate statement? ....Ugh.....Once I found the above quote, I lost which thread it came from ;-)
    Does this apply to Evan? Any other skaters that it might apply to? Weir?

23. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

24. Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee Active Member

He's no YuNa Kim! I believe he wants to be in Sochi too....it would be the biggest comeback story of the year if he qualified for the Olympics, much less won again.

Buzz, caseyedwards, algonquin and 3 others like this.
  25. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  26. caseyedwards

Lysacek did not jump throughout the 4.5 minutes. His jumps ended at 3:15 if not earlier. Once the clock hit 2:15 he did 5 jumping passes in a row. I believe ending at 3:00. He mid loaded. There was no jumps even near the end of that program. Plushenko did his 2a later than lysacek did his.

Quads had points but no value in doing. They were a big waste of time! Even Kevin van Der perren didn't do them. Like Oda and weir and all the newcomers that do them now like brezina and amodio. I'm sure wihout quads plushenkos quadless program would have been done much better and to perfection.

He is wrong! It was the reason!

I read 3/3's like triple axel half loop triple flip

I bet he thinks he can get away with the salchow axels again!

27. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I think Evan has a decent shot at one of the two spots for the US. There are other skaters I would like to see win the OGM over Evan of course like Takahashi (doesn't look like that will happen though) or Ten. I believe Evan has all of his triples back except the axel at this point and he does those so consistently. He needs the quad this time and think he is up to that challenge. His consistency and mental toughness are reasons I give his comeback attempt a good chance at success.

I was really just saying I would like to see Evan win to get some people's goats. ;)

28. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

If Evan comes back, will Frank Carroll have a conflict of interest between him and Denis Ten? The clearly positioned himself in the top pack, and as a medal contender for next season.

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Are you going to stomp your feet and then sit in the corner and hold your breath until you turn blue? That isn't going to make what you say any truer.

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Oh, please make this happen!!