volosozhar/trankov

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by zilam98, May 2, 2011.

1. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

G/G and V/T are both excellent pairs but I don't think they're at all the same. V/T are much more athletic than G/G.. the difference is mainly in Tatiana I think.. she's more of a powerhouse on the ice while Gordeeva was little and graceful (although one could call her a powerhouse in her own way). V/T have a connection but not really the same romantic connection as G/G since they're not romantically involved, furthermore, when would you ever see G/G doing a Super Mario Bros. exhibition? Never!
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Absolutely ! There's no comparison, except that both pairs are good looking and with good lines. :)
  4. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i didnt say i made the comparison :p i just put the link to the article stating such. but hey, any good publicity for v/t aint too bad.
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

No, you did not, and thank you for posting the link. :)
  6. bek

bek Guest

I actually think there's just as big of a difference if not more between Trankov and Sergei. Trankov as a skater is far more like Dimtriev than he is like Sergei. But I'm not so sure the article was directly comparing them to G/G as saying they can be a return to that standard.

Whenever pairs are compared to G/G I take it with a grain of salt, I think its more like your great lets compare you to the greatest ever. I think V/T have a ways to go to be as good as G/G are. But I actually think they have potential to be one of the greats.

Ziggy, I think the as far as the judges/everyone else is concerned its hard not to get excited about this pair. Pairs skating has frankly suffered for a long time I think. I mean we haven't had a new team this good since S/S. And how long ago was it since S/S debuted. And I think its far more fair to compare them to S/S when S/S were around. I think its hard for the judges/fans not to be excited. This is a team with already amazing technical elements, who are beautifully matched/gorgeous skaters.

The judges gave them high scores- and fairly so! But they were put in 3rd in the short, and only 2nd in the free. I highly doubt they want to remain fighting for second forever, so I have a hard time thinking improvements won't be made. And those improvements are absolutely possible.
  7. blue_idealist

For some reason V/T remind me of Bechke/Petrov right now. Maybe it's just because they went for programs without complex choreography this season though.
  8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I do feel a bit sorry for Maria Mukhortova. I imagine she is a bit deflated by all this.
  9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

If a pair doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. But what can you do.

I think we could be heading into another good era of pairs skating. We had it with G&G, M&D and B&E, and then with B&S, S&P and S&Z. Now we have S&S and V&T. I am really looking forward to the next few years.
  10. viv

viv New Member

I don't, regarding all that happened between her and Maxim. I think he can be happy to have gotten rid of her and Vasiliev!
  11. judgejudy27

Well I am glad he left her and is having so much success now and in the future after all I heard. Plus I enjoy Volosozhar & Trankov together way more than Mukhortova & Trankov. They never seemed to have the chemistry, there was a cold quality to them as a pair, for whatever reason their elements seem small compared to V/T, and Vasiliev's choreography has been pretty boring so far in his coaching career. Still I do feel a bit sorry for her all the same. She is a fine pairs skater, it would be nice to see her also have some future success.
  12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It's not because it works better with someone else that you are bad.
    Anyway, you talk about "cold" from the pair Mukhortova&Trankov. But honestly, the cold aspect came more from Maria than Maxim ! ;)
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  13. viv

viv New Member

:rofl: Definitely!
  14. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

The concept of the Lady and Hooligan FS was great, but it was frustrating to see him acting the part and she being just cold. I would love to see V/T skating to similar kind of a music and story, because now their expressieveness is in the same level.
  15. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

Is there a link to the blog? I must have missed it somewhere along the way
  16. sarakimm

sarakimm New Member

I totally agree!!! He looked so trapped and unhappy with Murkhortova. Now he looks so happy and relaxed. I was ecstatic to see how beautifully they skated at Worlds.
  17. sarakimm

sarakimm New Member

During the LA Worlds, she was so terribly disdainful and downright mean to Trankov during practices. I sat in the crowd near her and Vasiliev later in the competition and she never once had a pleasant expression. I am glad Trankov escaped all that negativity.
  18. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i just cant believe how some people can be so negative as though there's nothing funny or pleasant with what's around them at all. i am working with someone like that (bitch this, bitch that, blah, blah, blah) time to time and i just tune her out of my day or else i get sucked into that black hole.
  19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Trankov dished out just as much as he took. Their past coaches dump them because of their constant bickering, Moskvina and Dmitriev included. Trankov could have walked at any time and choose to stay for whatever reason. Actually he waited for years until the partner he really wanted was available. Has anyone even heard from Moody Maria since nationals? I don't recall her being so mean when she was consoling him in the K&C after his devistating fall at the Olympics.

He got what he wanted and is happy as clam but I think it may be a little bit too soon to make him a saint.
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

jenji124 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. bek

bek Guest

I have no doubt in M/T's relationship it took two people. But the fact of the matter is both were given new opportunities/ with other partners Now it may be that Maxim and Tatiana just clique and it may be all that Tatiana really is a reported sweatheart. But reports are clear that those two are able to compromise/have a good working relationship.

In contrast there were some pretty strong reports that Maria was just as nasty to Jerome as she use to be to Trankov. Sometimes if you are rude and nasty to a person, they may be just rude and nasty back.

This being said I do hate how it can always be " blame the women in these kind of break ups."

And as for well Maxim stayed for all of these years. Skating is Maxim's career, and people stay in jobs they hate, for financial/career reasons all the time.

There's nothing wrong with waiting until its career wise best for you to jump ship.
  22. judgejudy27

I hope the beautiful and very talented Maria finds a suitable partner soon. Even if her attitude sucks she still has the talent to be a top 5 pairs skater in the World again. I am not sure if there is any partner available in Russia right now to take her back there though.

I really feel they were robbed last year in some of their results. They deserved silver at the Grand Prix final and bronze at the Worlds.
  23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. I don't think you can compare G&G and V&T. They are different types of pairs G&G were more "two shall skate as one". I don't see that unison, grace, lines in V&T (actually B&S were gorgeous in that respect, and in all except consistency). Tatiana is very athletic and very consistent, but I see Trankov missing the jumps. There was a minor miss in these championships, but a major one in last year's Olympics (with a different partner). Tatiana has been solid as a rock, no matter who her partner. I was so impressed with her at the 2006 worlds that I was disappointed to see her miss the podium because of a weak partner. That has already changed for the better.

V&T are a new pair and it shows. May be in a couple of years they could develop into a better 'pair'. Right now, in jumps and spins they look like singles skaters doing the elements away from each other. I am sure that will improve. They will never be a romantic pair like G&G, and as good as they are, they don't have the great postures, lines and the connection of Katia and Sergei, so I have a hard time comparing them with G&G.

Actually the more I watch the current pairs, and some of them are very good or could develop into something very good, I don't feel they compare with G&G, B&S or M&D in their lines, unison, and beauty. Of course that could very well be the result of the two scoring systems.
  24. andante1139

andante1139 New Member

Katia doesn’t simply skate. She performs, expresses stories and feelings of music with emotions. Not just being graceful. Actually, she is a pretty good actress, quite able to be into the characters. She is fun to watch in the group numbers of SOI, and do not forget her performances in 1997 TV special, Charlie Chaplin routine with Scott or even 1994 Disney special.

Katia’s range has become more open and much wider over the years. The versatilities she showed at Ice Age 2 were impressive.
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  25. equatorial

equatorial New Member

I disagree. Their sbs spins are hit-or-miss, but the jumps are already gorgeous. Also, I could never warm up to G/G. He was extraodinary, but she annoyed me no end for some reason. A great pair but not my cup of tea.
  26. judgejudy27

I dont think it is the scoring system. I think it is just that those are special pairs who dont come around all the time. Although I do think the scoring system makes it harder to create a magical program apart from those things.

Trankov is usually quite consistent too. His mistake at the Olympics was unusual and mostly a fluke. Mukhortova usually made the bulk of the errors.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Anything in a program can be hit or miss, for anyone. They both missed jumps at MBT and Trankov messed up the 3S at Worlds. I too never liked G/G, even though they were married he always looked like he was forced to skate with a girl with cooties and somehow he had to make to work.

His mistake at the Olympics wasn't a fluke, it was a fall plain and simple; from someone who was competing for the first time at the Olympics. It was just that everyone set Maria up to fail and was surprised it was him and not her. Same thing at worlds when he stumbled throwing her. I have never seen a man fall while throwing his partner of 7 years, he was just trying too hard and with the form he has on the throw it's not surprising he caught his toe pick, what was surprising was she was able to land it.

I don't think the COP has stifled creative programs, you make a great program and plug elements in, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The choreographer is the key.
  28. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree about the jumps. They are nowhere close to the sbs jumps by B&S and T&M who used to do jumps close together, in perfect unison, from start to while spinning in the air and on landings. G&G also had very good sbs jumps. I am not saying V&T cannot get there; it's just that right now they are not.
  29. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

And why would they do that? Oh yeah, because she failed to land jumps and throws on a REGULAR basis. I'm pretty sure that's what the poster meant by saying his fall at Olys was a fluke. Sure, he'd fallen before in programs throughout the years; but it was a rare enough occurrence to basically expect it from his partner, and be surprised by it from him.
  30. Pavla2304

Pavla2304 Active Member

31. bek

bek Guest

I don't think its fair to compare V/T to the all time great teams in the past. V/T are an amazing team, and I think they have the potential to be up there with some of the best teams ever.

But I think it takes time for a pair to truly become a pair. They are both individually great pairs skaters, and they are already at a level most pairs would only dream of being. But I think it takes time for a pair to truly gell. I totally think they will get there though.
  32. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I agree with you 100% !.
  33. iris81

iris81 New Member

New blog entry (a lot of new photos from USA):
    http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/volosozhartrankov/202407.html

V-T already left USA for shows in China and Japan.
    New programs are ready. Jermaine Browne (Broadway choreographer) helped to create short program. They say it will be surprise, really unusual program for pair skaters.
    Also they learned triple flip throw and new lifts.
    In July they go to training camp in Italy.
    They plan to take 2 grand-prix, and also want participate in 2 B-competitions (Germany and Slovakia).
    Asli and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Wow, have they been busy. :lol: Thanks iris81.

According to his website, Jermaine Brown has choreographed for Katy Perry, Leona Lewis, and the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, so this could be really voidy. :D
  35. Civic

Civic New Member

Robin Szolkowy is 32 years old now. That's old for eligible pairs skating. Who knows if his body will hold up until Sochi.
  36. Civic

Civic New Member

Really? I always thought G/G's rapport on the ice was unmatched. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
  37. letsskate

letsskate New Member

Any videos of V/T performing in Shanghai's Art on Ice yesterday?
  38. blue_idealist

Hongbo Zhao was 36 when they won the Olympics!
  39. nro

nro New Member

Yes and Shen/Zhao's mistakes on the side-by-side spins and lift at the Olympics were probably unrelated to his age (I believe they had a similar lift error at 2004 Worlds). So age won't necessarily be a major factor but of course everyone is different. Savchenko said she wasn't sure how their bodies will hold up but are taking it year by year.
  40. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I agree. May be there is a right partner out there for Maria. I thought she and Jerome would make a really good pair, given enough time. I hope she finds the right partner and continues to skate pairs.