Volosozhar & Trankov at Worlds

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Dec 27, 2010.

If Volosozhar & Trankov compete at Worlds

Poll closed Mar 27, 2011.
  1. Gold

14.5%
  2. Silver

40.9%
  3. Bronze

29.6%
  4. 4th or 5th

8.2%
  5. out of top 5

3.1%
  6. they wont compete at Worlds since they wont be able to compete at the ISU events in time

3.8%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

After seeing Volosozhar and Trankov compete at Nationals if they are able to compete at Worlds (I think they need to compete at a couple ISU sanctioned events to be eligible) where do you think they will finish. I think they have a good shot of winning silver or even gold at Worlds if they skate how they did at Nationals.

2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think they will skate at competition in Europe to get minimum score for take part at WCh.
    I hope they could skate clean at WCh and then will see. I think for them more important to show clean skating and not thinking about medals.
    Good luck them! I really love this new team!

3. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

4. judgejudy27

Honestly if they skate like they did at Nationals I think only the Germans are a threat to beat them. I dont think Kavaguti & Smirnov or Pang & Tong would do a clean competition at Worlds. Both teams are too inconsistent in general. And even if they did V&T skating like they did at Nationals and with the backing as the Russian #1 pair would beat them.

5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Their scores at the Russian Nationals were huge and it would be great if they skated well at Worlds, but I don't think a medal is in within their reach this year.

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

They don't have a track record yet to use the term inconsistent but they can have a bad skate just like anyone else. Look at Maxim's Olympic short program or Worlds free skate. Tatiana hasn't been perfect with Stas either. They skated well today but their biggest competition came from a team who had major surgery and other injuries and didn't start training until the later summer; early fall.

I will be a different story at worlds with P/T, S/S and a healthier K/S.

They may win gold, they may mess up completely and finish 4th...who knows.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  7. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

They are certainly in the hunt. But if they skate the way they did today, podium for sure. Could be any color.

8. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I don't see them getting PCS in the same range at Worlds, obviously, but I think they could possibly be in the top 3 if they skate like they did today. I agree with julieann, though, that they could end up in any number of placements.

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

They've already demonstrated that they can beat K&S. They should be able to beat P&T on TES alone. But I don't think S&S are in their reach this year. When the international judges and S&S are getting along their scores are stratospheric.

Most pairs bomb at Worlds in their first season together, anyway. It's weird to think of that happening with V&T, but you never know. They (and we as an audience) are lucky that Russia has such a thorough national event series to give them ample opportunities to compete before her ISU waiting period is up (I remember even Plushenko taking part in the Russian cup events, so they seem to be a pretty big deal there), so at least they have a decent amount of experience with competing and getting levels etc. Obviously they were not competing against the cream of the crop but I get the feeling that they have been skating every event as if it were the most important one in their lives!

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Voted silver:))))))) I love S/S, as well, so am voting my dream podium: S/S, then V/T. And Gold for them next year.
    The way they skate, it seems they can!!! Just incredible.
    If they win Gold, I will not cry, LOL.

11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

V/T beat K/S at one competition, hardly a track record yet. K/S beat every team in the world except S/Z, that doesn't mean they can be beaten.

But I don't think that wouldn't apply to them, they both have been in 4th place at worlds before. The teams that bomb are usually teams that either have never been or have never done well.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  12. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'm gonna say bronze for now.

S&S are the front runners for the title and P&T have been getting great scores whether they deserved them or not.

As Worlds would be V&T's first international with the big guns, I wouldn't think they'd be contending for the title. But then, I never thought the national judges would actually let V&T beat K&S regardless of the skating, so it could happen.

13. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I went with bronze too.

I think S/S and either P/T or K/S will beat them at worlds, if everybody skates clean.

But I would love to see them win silver, only behind the Germans.

14. judgejudy27

Not even "within their reach". :lol: I mean it is one thing if you dont think they will medal at Worlds but you make it out like it is impossible. There are only 3 other teams who are even threats to them unless the majorly bomb. The Germans, Pang & Tong, and Kavaguti & Smirnov. They easily beat Kavaguti & Smirnov at Nationals and Pang & Tong havent even skated well all year.

15. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to say it was impossible. I really do think they can medal, and I'd love to see that happen, but I don't see them medaling this year.

16. judgejudy27

Fair enough.

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think they can get a medal, unless nerves get the best of them or something, but probably not gold. They probably won't beat Savchenko and Szolkowy. It looks like they probably CAN beat Kavaguti and Smirnov, and maybe Pang and Tong too.

18. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I think they can take a medal, most definitely. Maybe silver depending on Pang/Tong's skate.

V/T have a wow factor IMO. The positions in their lifts are incredible. The lift position out of the throw 3loop in the LP is OMGGGGGG.

V/T still have some work to do on their speed and spins but their potential is scary good.

19. bek

bek Guest

While I don't think they should beat a clean S/S right now lets be real and point out that S/S have a tendency to mess up. Of course who knows how V/T will handle that kind of pressure themselves but as for PCS, lets not forget that they will be going in as Russia's no 1. It will likely mean something with the international judges. I mean they just beat the reigning world bronze medalists. I'm SURE the Russian federation will be politiking hard for them too.

As for being shocked that the Russian federation supported V/T, why wouldn't the Russian federation? The Russian federation is many things but its not stupid. K/S as Russians no 1s have done an okay job but look how they handled last years Worlds and Olympics. V/T have more potential as a team and the Russian federation knows that.

According to Trankov, V/T is a team the Russian federation has long wanted.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  20. judgejudy27

I would love to see a Volosozhar & Morozov vs Savchenko & Szolkowy rivalry develoop over the next 3-4 years. It would be the first time in awhile two such talented teams were battling at the top.

As for the other top pairs I think Pang & Tong have already peaked. They were never going to be a dominant pair anyway, they won both their Worlds at a post Olympic Worlds with the reigning Olympic Champions (both teams they have never beaten) absent from both, and other top teams either missing or not as focused after the Olympics. Not to ake anything away from their success which is well earned but there is never a point they were considered the best pair in the World, even briefly. They will probably retire once Sui & Han take over as Chinese #1 which could be as early as next year.

Kavaguti & Smirnov probably missed their best window to prove themselves as Russian #1. They had every opportunity to win atleast silver at each of the 2009 Worlds, 2010 Olympics, and 2010 Worlds and blew it each time. They will have a hard time regaining status as Russian #1 over V&T. Whether they continue for 2014 will probably depend on her shoulder and health, and their willingess to either accept or fight to change the situation I pointed out. I think they are motivated to try for a medal on home ice so will probably continue.

Sui & Han have a long way to go to become World Champion status. Of course they are so young it could well happen, but might take awhile.

The Zhangs IMO are pretty much done as contenders of any sort. If they even continue competing at all.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dube & Davison, Barazova & Larionov, and others, but dont see any of them winning a major title over the next quad.

So I think we will probably see a S&S vs V&T rivalry over the next 4 years.

21. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

I think they will not medal. Not yet. But I wish I were wrong.

22. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

there has not been a team in a long time that has the buzz they have- I mean we were all willing this to happen !! i am enjoying being excited about a new team with such potential and dont care where they place as long as they continue to skate well, improve and stay injury free :)

23. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

:respec: :cheer2: :swoon:

24. icewalker08

icewalker08 New Member

I think they will get bronze. hmmmm though Maxim cant handle stress sometimes but still.

25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The rule to compete is 2 years after leaving her country, right ?
    So, if I understand well, they can't compete at Euros this season, but can compete at Worlds.
    If they compete at Worlds, I can see them with a silver or a bronze medal, behind Savchenko&Szolkowy and maybe, a chinese pair !

26. Pavla2304

Pavla2304 Active Member

It is so hard to predict anything. I just want them to skate clean, with confidence and speed and then we will see... I just wanna them to be happy with their skating

Anyone can make mistake, we all (yes, skaters too) are "just people", no machines.

I hope so much that Tanya and Maxim will win a medal at Worlds :)

27. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

Gold, I wish :cheer:

28. yaoyao

yaoyao New Member

I believe V/T can get a medal at the Worlds!
    Now I hope K/S are also on the podium by beating P/T!

29. pumba

pumba New Member

The quality of V/T's elements is superb to all their 3 main rivals. I believe they'll win silver medal if everyone skates clean. S/S can beat them based on reputation + modern style programs. V/T's skating skills and tricks are at least not worse than ones of S/S, but their choreo is quite forgettable this season.
    I hope K/S will take bronze with their amazing LP, because since P/T decided to drop their wonderful SP for the old one (which was also cool) - I see nothing that can attract me in their skating.
    Amazing start from V/T anyway. Finally we have another really cool pair together with S/S for the last 4-5 years. Just a bit more intricate choreo the next year - and they'll even don't need to play a romantic couple on ice to win everything.

30. melonmelon

melonmelon New Member

bronze or silver.
    I love them !!!!!!!!!!!