Voidiest, Nuttiest Costumes of the 2010/2011 Skating Season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, May 5, 2011.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I can't believe that nobody has started this thread yet.

My top 3 all seem to have a clown theme:

Number One:

Kazakhstan's Abzal Rakimgaliev, who was 3rd at Triglav Trophy this yr and did quite well in Asian Games, Four C, etc. He also gave us one of the most voidy costumes of the season with this beauty for his "Circus" LP:

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0eHicJP3z5d4x?q=Kazakhstan Abzal Rakimgaliev

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abzal_Rakimgaliyev (pic near the top of this article...looks like he borrowed Fernandez' blue bow tie but couldn't quite get it on straight!)

Number Two:

Ice Dancers Zhiganshina/Gaszi's SP get-ups:
    http://www.daylife.com/photo/0ez005K4kfgKg?__site=daylife&q=Zhiganshina

Number Three:

I may love her but she can't escape the FSU Fashion Police: Russia's Alena Leonova in her SP:
    http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Alena Leonova ISU Grand Prix Figure Skating SlQfZqA6yHQl.jpg (pink version)

and the green version at Euros & Worlds:
    http://alena-leonova.ru/photo/sezon_2010_2011/chempionat_mira_2011/69-0-3051

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

7. Ladida

Ladida Member

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, as much as people think Leonova's costumes are freaky, they both really suited her programs.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

11. london_calling

london_calling New Member

Alena Leonova's costumes make me wonder if all Russians are color-blind.

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Once you find your skating style and costumes that suit you and the music ... flaunt it, rock it! Wishing Alena much continued success!!! I'd rather see someone doing something edgy, unique, and different that totally suits their personality and helps them achieve recognition and success, rather than watching a boatload of Russian baby ballerinas (no matter how good they are... we've seen the traditional approach so many times). Not to mention boring macho pretensions on the men's side. Think outside the box. And, again, I'm saying find your own style and authenticity, not mimicking someone else's, going overboard, or doing what others tell you might be best -- go for exploring something unique within yourself --most assuredly not easy to accomplish. It takes time, and that's part of what makes figure skating so difficult.

The posted costumes of the ice dancers are pretty scary, especially the two versions by Zhig/Gaszi. I think Robin and Aliona did this kind of circusy shtick much better with their costumes for Send in the Clowns sp.

Ralph/ Hill's Disney ensemble was not bad at all. LOL, Smirnov/Kawaguchi look like they are even scaring themselves in that pic of their sp costumes.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  13. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

15. Aussie Willy

I know of a judge who did give a costume deduction for N&G's balloon costume. But they didn't get a majority so they didn't get a deduction.

16. Aussie Willy

I still remind skaters I know of their programs I saw many many years ago based on their costumes and music. One person I now judge with, years ago when she was competing did a Cirque du Soleil program. I was in the audience and we were trying to figure out during the warm up what the music would be, because the costume was certainly different than what were used to. I still comment on it to her and how much I liked it.

Do something different and you will get noticed and remembered (although you would hope in a good way).